Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 06:59 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
In Memphis, vinyl siding is for low-income neighborhoods. It wasn't until I traveled to other cities that I realized that vinyl was also used in upper-middle class areas. That doesn't make sense to me. Here, the houses in even the blandest, very solidly middle class suburbs are almost completely brick. There might be a little vinyl, but they never cover entire sides of the house like on the McMansions of other cities.
Cost is one consideration. Brick is very expensive to have installed as an exterior surface in many parts of the country. Hence, a lot of older homes here in the Midwest are "frame" homes, meaning that they were constructed with wood clapboard siding. Painted surfaces, however, get the crap beat out of them by the weather up here, so there a lot of maintenance costs involved in painting and replacing rotted wood. Vinyl, therefore, is a practical and cost-effective alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 07:46 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,181,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Cost is one consideration. Brick is very expensive to have installed as an exterior surface in many parts of the country. Hence, a lot of older homes here in the Midwest are "frame" homes, meaning that they were constructed with wood clapboard siding. Painted surfaces, however, get the crap beat out of them by the weather up here, so there a lot of maintenance costs involved in painting and replacing rotted wood. Vinyl, therefore, is a practical and cost-effective alternative.
That's something I notice when I go to other Midwestern towns. There is a crapload of frame houses! It's very strange coming from a city that is almost completely brick. The only other Midwestern cities where I've seen a large amount of brick is Chicago and Cincy. Although they both have a lot of frame housing too.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:01 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
That's something I notice when I go to other Midwestern towns. There is a crapload of frame houses! It's very strange coming from a city that is almost completely brick. The only other Midwestern cities where I've seen a large amount of brick is Chicago and Cincy. Although they both have a lot of frame housing too.
Brick is more predominant in the older housing stock in both Chicago and Cincy. But even in your backyard there in St. Louis, there's a lot of frame/vinyl siding to be found in outer burbs like Chesterfield, St. Charles and Fenton.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:15 PM

575 posts, read 1,371,058 times
Default in between

Theoretical question:
I have read many discussions at city-data regarding the ages of housing. The discussion mostly centers around homes built 1930 or before or 1980 or after. But what about mid-20th century; that is, 1931 to 1979?
I've said it before and I'll say it again--the house I grew up in, and where my mother still lives, is a brick split level built in 1967. It's in excellent condition and Mom goes out of her way to keep it nice. I suppose that a house whose residents were, for the most part, four quiet females (Mom and my sisters and me in the 1970s) probably helped with maintaining it.
According to some of you, this house should be crumbling by now....

Old 05-21-2011, 03:27 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Brick is more predominant in the older housing stock in both Chicago and Cincy. But even in your backyard there in St. Louis, there's a lot of frame/vinyl siding to be found in outer burbs like Chesterfield, St. Charles and Fenton.
That's what I don't understand. The city is very brick, but the suburbs have a lot of vinyl. I don't get how Memphis suburbs have more brick than St. Louis suburbs. Some suburbs in St. Charles County have houses that are completely vinyl-sided. That wouldn't fly in a Memphis suburb. Nobody would buy it because it looks low-income. Thankfully, the most desireable STL suburbs like Ladue, Frontenac, Clayton, Creve Coeur and Town & Country hardly use any vinyl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.