U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 01:30 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,289,365 times

Advertisements

I thought this might be fun to try to guess.

Pretty self-explanatory I think, but which non-U.S. city does your city have the most business connections with?

In terms of:

- Business travelers between cities
- Where companies based in your city would choose to open up branch offices abroad first, and vice versa
- Shared industries, thus shared personnel (IE New York-London for finance)
- Large amount of trade between your city and another

I am not an expert in this area, so I don't know if these criteria are really valid. If you know more please elaborate.

Anywho, what would your guesses be?

For Portland I might say Vancouver. It's the first logical extension for Portland companies into the Canadian market, as well as being another major Pacific Northwest city (I think most companies tend to expand their operations regionally before going elsewhere). Plus I know that the vast majority of international flights from Portland head to Vancouver.

For Los Angeles I would like to say Tokyo, but realistically it is probably a Mexican or Canadian city (this might be true of nearly all American cities).

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 01:40 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,161,575 times
For Philly would likely say London - especially the Pharma connections

next would likely be Frankfurt Germany and the link with SAP (Philly is the US HQ for SAP) - Probably the fastest grower is with Tel Aviv and the Teva and increased Pharma Connections (Isreli Teva is now the larger volume Pharma company in the world US HQ in Philly)

By Daily non-stop flights I believe it is London, Frankfurt, Dublin, Paris, Rome, Toronto, Montreal, Amsterdam, Berlin, Madrid

I excluded the carribean as there is much less business travel but thought an interesting perspective

This is kind of an interesting link that portrays airline connectivity
http://www.theairdb.com/airport/PHL.html

Last edited by kidphilly; 05-19-2011 at 01:54 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 04:52 PM

32,372 posts, read 55,164,890 times
Lately for the San Francisco Bay Area, our biggest foreign trade partner has definitely been Beijing. And it has been a very contentious, rocky relationship to say the least-filled with accusations and mistrust.

Our companies have been at each others throats for a while now and Beijing is gunning hard to overtake Silicon Valley. LOL.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:55 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,289,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
For Philly would likely say London - especially the Pharma connections

next would likely be Frankfurt Germany and the link with SAP (Philly is the US HQ for SAP) - Probably the fastest grower is with Tel Aviv and the Teva and increased Pharma Connections (Isreli Teva is now the larger volume Pharma company in the world US HQ in Philly)

By Daily non-stop flights I believe it is London, Frankfurt, Dublin, Paris, Rome, Toronto, Montreal, Amsterdam, Berlin, Madrid

I excluded the carribean as there is much less business travel but thought an interesting perspective

This is kind of an interesting link that portrays airline connectivity
Philadelphia, International (PHL) - Airport details
Good link, I only wish it ranked the international destinations. You also have to think of all the companies that only operate in North America, and these are likely not large corporations. I think its more probable that the vast majority of U.S. cities are more connected to our northern neighbors than with any European cities, even if the connections are less obvious.

Err...on second look, that website is questionable. I looked at the PDX profile and you definitely cannot fly from PDX to Cambodia without numerous layovers and airline switches.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:33 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,161,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Good link, I only wish it ranked the international destinations. You also have to think of all the companies that only operate in North America, and these are likely not large corporations. I think its more probable that the vast majority of U.S. cities are more connected to our northern neighbors than with any European cities, even if the connections are less obvious.

Err...on second look, that website is questionable. I looked at the PDX profile and you definitely cannot fly from PDX to Cambodia without numerous layovers and airline switches.

Good point on further review there were a number of Asian destinations listed for Philly that require a connection. Actually the only Asian direct flight is to Hong Kong, US air has this on hold with the economy but somehow has reatined the rights to the flight path. The European cities look correct for direct flights from Philly; which has a pretty significant Eurpoean International Operation and quite a few Eurpoean Carriers on top of US Air (Main European gateway for the airline) and American. i always laugh that my flight choices to Europe are better than the Pac NW or even SF sometimes. One other thing is the Direct flights from the Northeast are 5 to 7 hours to Europe (not much differance than flying to the West coast) and Asia direct over the North Pole is only 1.5 hours longer than most of the West coast asian flights oddly enough. A peronal irratation is no Direct flight to Iceland - A cool weekend trip and what should be a pretty quick flight and always have to connect through Boston out of Philly. Am pretty sure the Newark (only 70 minutes away) did away and I hate driving up to JFK (the last 10 miles take forever)

On another note; not sure how to quantify the Canadian connection.

I do know the port of philly does a lot of Asain import, Middle Eastern Oil, Korean Cars and exports a ton of Soy via ship to Asia oddly enough

Wonder if there is a good metric to quantify business exchange and import/exchange - this thread had me thinking a bit

I do know that there is more business travel with Europe in philly than Canada - there was article that profiled this a few years back and the rate was nearly 3 to 1 on number of travelers and remember as I was surprised at the disparity

Last edited by kidphilly; 05-19-2011 at 05:42 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 07:26 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,112,022 times
It seems like the answer to this question for virtually any US city would be:
either Canadian city/Mexican city/London/Tokyo

I know Montclair said Beijing, but I'd be surprised if the Bay Area trade with Tokyo was less than with Beijing itself (remembering Shanghai, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, etc. are also very large Chinese cities with which San Fran and most of the West Coast trade with).

Interesting question!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:21 PM

5,093 posts, read 6,860,647 times
Here in WV we have alot of Japanese business

Old 05-19-2011, 09:21 PM

9,432 posts, read 18,331,107 times
The city on the other side of the globe ready to recieve the next outsourced US job market.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:23 AM

3,263 posts, read 4,673,660 times
Atlanta's biggest Asian partner is almost definitely Seoul. There are ~3,000 seats (10 flights) weekly between the two nowadays, which is more than we have with Tokyo.

In Europe, certainly London. In Latin America, certainly Mexico City--there are 28 flights per week there. Sao Paulo or Bogota a distant, distant second.

Africa's Lagos vs Accra question would be interesting. I would say Lagos is more important to Atlanta, but Atlanta is more important to Accra.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:39 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,804,722 times
Miami's a tough call. One can pick any of the major cities in South America. Sao Paolo, Buenos Aires, Bogota, Lima, Santiago......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or