U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 07:51 AM

56,749 posts, read 81,082,761 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, what would a small community need to attract people that come from or that generally prefer a big city environment? Would something like a college or having an art scene attract such people? Would the ethnic/racial make up come into play? What about walkability and shopping?

When I say small town/community, I mean places with less than 10,000 people and that is a place that is more of it's own entity. Meaning, that there is a decent amount of separation from a bigger city center.

Also, give some examples, if you can. I have some in mind, but I'd like to see places that others have in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 08:10 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,203,483 times
There are a number of them that may reside in a metro. The issue may be though they can very much retain their own identity there is still influence from the main city.

Boston/NYC/Philly all would offer many towns that might fit this but I am not sure if you are looking for a place a little further removed

Some examples in Philly might be places like West Chester and Doylestown PA - both about 10K but also offer many amantities of the city including transit, museums, restaurants etc.

To me the challenge at 10K when you get further removed is the places begin to feel much smaller though NYS may have a few towns that are cosmopolitan and further removed

Old 05-20-2011, 08:44 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,360,706 times
About the only thing that I think will make a town this small feel like a bigger one is if there is a college or university in it, because the school will attract some of the urban amenities usually found in bigger places-- maybe an art house movie theatre, some nice but inexpensive restaurants, a good bookstore, a coffee house, and a few places to buy clothes beside WalMart. And if there's a campus there will likely be some degree of walkability. Im thinking of NE college town like Williamstown Mass, Middlebury VT., or Hanover NH. Another one I just thought of might be Hamilton NY.

Last edited by citylove101; 05-20-2011 at 09:28 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 10:56 AM

New Paltz, Saugerties, Hudson, Catskill and perhaps Herkimer, Hamilton, Carthage/West Carthage, Potsdam, Canton, Owego, Clinton, East Aurora, Brockport, Watkins Glen, Norwich, Goshen, Cobleskill, Red Hook and some others in NY.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:11 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,728,561 times
I'm not totally sure where this thread is meaning to go. I think that people who prefer a big city environment are going to stay in a big city. People from big cities would be more open to moving to a small town if that small town has a specific draw.

But as you know small towns are on a continuum from suburb that was once had an independent economic existence (Manlius, NY might be an example) to exurban town where most commute but there is a gap (Cazenovia, NY might be an example) to small town with some reason for its own economy that is tough to commute from (Hamilton, NY maybe) to small isolated town with a tourist draw (say, Cooperstown, NY) to a weekender town to a major metro (Saugerties, NY).

People might move from, say, New York City to any of these, but probably not all for the same reasons.

With thousands of small towns in the USA it's far more likely that they will either slowly die or be swallowed up in a metro. Branch plants aren't being built here in the USA any more, even prisons are overbuilt now, colleges are kind of in a bubble now too facing their own subprime crisis with the for-profit schools foreshadowing the larger reality that many people graduating from college are really upside-down equity-wise too.

The surest thing would be to become a place that folks who are returning home or near home want to return to. An example of that might be Tioga County, PA where kids who grew up in, say, Blossburg or Westfield and moved away to a big city, would return but to Wellsboro if they didn't have a big old family place to come back to.

The extractive resource-based industries are of course a wild card. But the gas people and their associated service industries moving into northern and western PA seem to locate either sorta close to airports (not many independent towns < 10,000 would have a scheduled service airport in the East) or maybe the college or "nicer" towns like Indiana, PA.

The city & culture people and the gas people would seem to be an uneasy mix, I see some signs of that in Wellsboro, I guess thinking about it the ex-mayor of Dish, TX and the guy who made the movie "Gasland" came out of an edge milieu. When the drilling hits NY state that edge will multiply dramatically.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:28 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,150,575 times
Less than 10K AND offers big-city type amenities?

Hmmmm.....locally, Red Wing, MN; or Nisswa, MN might fit that bill. Small, touristy, pretty.

Boy, this is hard!!!

Old 05-20-2011, 12:50 PM

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if there are people that would move to such places from a bigger city, while not sacrificing things we associate with bigger cities, in a positive way(walkability, shopping, the arts, ethnic/racial/ cultural diversity, maybe other things like various types of food establishments, sporting events higher than the HS, etc.).

Old 05-20-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if there are people that would move to such places from a bigger city, while not sacrificing things we associate with bigger cities, in a positive way(walkability, shopping, the arts, ethnic/racial/ cultural diversity, maybe other things like various types of food establishments, sporting events higher than the HS, etc.).

On the whole while these places can offer similarities; to me part of the big city feel is not only walkability but also connectivity of the wlakability which smaller towns dont offer. Plus though some may offer a comparable amentity none even close to the selection.

I dont think they can offer a big city feel if it truly big city feel you want. But many of these are great and offer a hybrid so to speak.

I love the city but honestly love small towns too - but to me they are for different reasons and personally do not expect a smaller town to offer the same feel - they offer glimpses but not the full picture

They are my two favorite living environments though

I actually believe that there are many small town areas just outside of large cities that can almost offer both (city access) and the small town feel all at once. A local example here would be Haddonfield NJ - a classic American DT - walkable, shops, great schools, tremndous sense of commity, character, walkability aand yet is a 15 minute Patco ride to Center via a hybrid Subway line - almost the best of both worlds for those who live there. A friend always tells me he can take the train into CC for dinner and the Opera and be home in minutes, get up walk and get a cup of coffee and walk his son to soccer down the street in mainstreet america (Though Haddonfield is extremely expensive and a tremendously restrictive architectural group where you have to get approval to change the color of your shutters)

Last edited by kidphilly; 05-20-2011 at 01:14 PM..

Old 05-20-2011, 01:12 PM

YouTube - &#x202a;Riding in the Bus Through Downtown Haddonfield, New Jersey&#x202c;&rlm;

YouTube - &#x202a;Haddonfield, NJ&#x202c;&rlm;

Old 05-21-2011, 07:46 PM

I guess people can decide if these places would work: Village of Hamilton - Welcome to Hamilton New York

Clinton, New York: Historic Village of Clinton, NY Shopping & Entertainment Travel Guide
Clinton, New York: Chamber of Commerce: Clinton, NY Business - Event Listing: located in Oneida County: home to Hamilton College, NY, 13323, Central ny, Clark Mills, Franklin Springs, Deansboro, Oriskany Falls, Utica, Central New York, Mohawk Valley,

Potsdam, NY 13676
Potsdam Chamber of Commerce :: Home

Canton, NY 13617
Town and Village of Canton
Canton, NY Chamber of Commerce - Welcome!

Community of New Paltz, NY
New Paltz Chamber of Commerce 2011
Welcome to New Paltz, NY - The Heart of Ulster County

and eventhough it is just over 10,000, it might fit the criteria the best: Corning Area Chamber of Commerce Home
Experience Corning, NY
Finger Lakes Vacation Packages & Resources - Corning & the Finger Lakes, NY
Corning's Gaffer District - Corning, New York - Shopping - Entertainment - Museums - Food
Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.