U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 03:14 PM

8,020 posts, read 8,372,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
Just drove the Beartooth in June...amazing!
How about the roads in the San Juans of CO?? We drove a lot of 4wd roads...Last Dollar Road outside Telluride is great.
Also Geyser Pass Road in the LaSals...across from Canyonlands by Moab, Utah.
Only if you have a jeep..... That Telluride to Uray two track, is a great day trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
The California coastal highway made me sick, sitting in the back of a 2005 Nissan Altima rental. Never again.
The Oregon coast is much easier on the backseat passengers.

The expanse between Wawa and Thunder Bay in Canader is a long stretch of many KILOMETRES of "ARE WE THERE YET, EH?" I highly do not recommend. If you take your kids, stop at the A&W in Marathon, if it's still there.
The trip up 17 from Sault Ste Marie is a beautiful drive , at least as far a Wawa. Take the canyon train for a day you will remember. Winter and fall is the best............the whole trip around lake Superior , 1200 miles , is worth the time.Not all specular, but , views of the big lake are to be remembered always.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I can do you one better: US Route 30 from the Oregon coast to Atlantic City. You get the Atlantic Coast, Pacific Coast, the Rockies, the Appalachians, the high plains/high desert, prairies of the Midwest, plus it passes through or right by several notable cities such as Portland, Omaha, Cedar Rapids, Chicago, Fort Wayne, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia/Camden, and Atlantic City. To me that represents a far broader cross-section of America than a route that never leaves the interior West. (Also, U.S. 89 no longer goes all the way to Mexico; it now terminates at Flagstaff.)
US 30 is the first paved road across America. very historic. most of it is the Lincoln Highway , started in 1913, and improved every year since. The Lincoln Highway Association serves as a great cause , for historical preservation of the road, its bridges , stopovers , and gas stations. I am a charter member , its well worth the dues. ( great publications , chapters , and events ). I grew up on the road in Iowa, a real slice of Americana.....

Old 10-31-2007, 04:00 PM

Default The best for last

I don't mean to high jack these threads , but , this is my favorite subject. I have driven em all . The best road is in Canada however. Its the Cassiar Highway thru the Yukon, and northern BC. A lot of gravel, twisty turns , narrow bridges , logging trucks , but , for mountain grandeur , this is it !! It will take 3 days to do it , but it is worth it , for sure , and , while you are there , take the cut off 37A to Stewart,BC. and Hyder , AK......you won't believe what you are about to see......

Old 10-31-2007, 04:50 PM

832 posts, read 2,744,689 times
Pacific Coast Highway from Carmel to Big Sur

Old 11-01-2007, 01:20 AM

1,903 posts, read 5,743,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The trip up 17 from Sault Ste Marie is a beautiful drive , at least as far a Wawa. Take the canyon train for a day you will remember. Winter and fall is the best............the whole trip around lake Superior , 1200 miles , is worth the time.Not all specular, but , views of the big lake are to be remembered always.
My recommendation for those from Michigan considering it: go up to Wawa, marvel at the goose poop, and go back.

Thunder Bay was nice, but I do not recall anything about it that would make me want to do that drive again.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:25 AM

8,257 posts, read 11,323,222 times
Calif. State Hwy 1 from San luis Obispo to Monterrey
US Hwy 71 from Ft. Smith Arkansas to Texarkana Ark/Tx
Calif. Hwy 58 from Bakersfield to Santa margarita

Old 11-01-2007, 09:47 AM

6,351 posts, read 13,391,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
US Hwy 71 from Ft. Smith Arkansas to Texarkana Ark/Tx
Calif. Hwy 58 from Bakersfield to Santa margarita
Thanks for these two mentions; I like 'em both, as well!

The only other one I haven't seen yet is US 7 through the Berkshires in Western MA (especially in Autumn!)

Old 11-01-2007, 09:58 AM

8,257 posts, read 11,323,222 times
A very nice 3 day trip my wife and I took: Drive north along the east coast of Lake Michigan[US Hwy.31 I think]to Ludington. Hop on the car/passenger ferry and cross Lake Michigan to Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Then Int.43 south to Milwaukee along the west shore of Lake Michigan. Then US 41 south to the Illinois border where you can get on the longest street in the US, Sheridan Rd. into Chicago and Lake Shore Dr. The ferry was $20 per person and $100 for the car. Ferry has a restaurant and a GREAT tavern on board!!

Old 11-01-2007, 04:33 PM

2,866 posts, read 6,179,570 times
Natchez Trace Parkway The Tennessee segment of the Natchez Trace Parkway is the northern leg of the byway, covering the entire length of the 444-mile Natchez Trace, which encompasses portions of Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi. Native Americans, Kaintuck boatmen, indians, post riders, soldiers and fortune seekers all travelled across this trail, charting new territory and creating a vital link between the Mississippi Territory and the United States. Areas of interest near the Tennessee section of the byway include two national park units -- Shiloh National Military Park and Stones River National Battlefield -- Jackson Falls, and the Gordon House and Ferry Site.
Start and Endpoint: The 101-mile Tennessee section of the parkway begins just south of Nashville at its junction with TN 100 and runs south to the Alabama state line. The parkway continues south through sections of Alabama and Mississippi, ending in Natchez, MS. The entire parkway spans 444 miles and was designated an "All-American" Road in 1996.
About.com: http://www.nps.gov/natt/

I have only Driven from Nashville, TN to Lawrenceberg, TN. The scenic overlooks are amazing. Last week there was a mass of Bike riders and Model T cars riding down it.

Diane G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.