U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 03:02 PM

4,915 posts, read 12,093,000 times

Advertisements

What do you like best about suburbs, cities, towns, and census designated places?

I like suburbs because they are always new looking and have alot of affordable housing, shopping, and dining. I like the safety and the family atmosphere and how easy it is to make friends in K-12.

I like towns because you are close to nature, there isn't alot of traffic, and you still have a bus system and usually the most common and popular stores found in cities. Macy's, Costco, Home Depot, Sears, Target, Kohl's, Trader Joes, Olive Garden, Hometown Buffet, Chipotle, etc...

I don't really like cities, but what I will give them is all the history in cities. I like how cities are ethnically diverse and the all the youthful culture around downtowns like art galleries, plays, sport stadiums, and musicals. Also like the wider selection of shopping and dining options.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 10:50 AM

75 posts, read 166,818 times
I prefer cities myself. I enjoy the older, more worn feel that many cities have. I also feel more connected to the larger world around me, possibly as a result of being around a wide array of people much different from myself. Gives me a sense of being part of something bigger. There is also the myriad of reasons the O.P. mentioned as well.

While I grew up in the Suburbs ( a village to be precise) I quickly grew uncomfortable there. Driving to get everywhere, strip mall after strip mall, and a feeling of separateness and isolation from my neighbors were all contributing factors. Most Suburbs tend to be places that I have neither reason nor inclination to go. Many of them seem exceedingly repetitive to me and tend to lack character. ( This is all subjective of course, as the benefits of Suburbia outweigh the negatives for large numbers of people.While I am not one of them, I certainly respect that choice.)

Towns are fun to visit, but I find that they also quickly become too routine. Perhaps this is my A.D.D. talking, but I cannot seem to spend more than a day at a time outside of any city limits. I do like that the quintessential American town has a unique flavor all its own.

Having been raised in the suburbs and now residing in the inner-city of Cincinnati, I could not imagine living anywhere smaller than this. I enjoy hearing my fellow students at U.C. (those from small towns) discuss how immense, busy and crowded Cincinnati is. Reminds me everyday that people come from all places and bring a plethora of experience with them. Each person's story unique, a piece of the fabric of this nation and this world. Let's just say I am pleased, no, thrilled that not everyone feels or thinks the same way I do. That is what keeps things so very interesting.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:28 AM

4,915 posts, read 12,093,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo11 View Post
I prefer cities myself. I enjoy the older, more worn feel that many cities have. I also feel more connected to the larger world around me, possibly as a result of being around a wide array of people much different from myself. Gives me a sense of being part of something bigger. There is also the myriad of reasons the O.P. mentioned as well.

While I grew up in the Suburbs ( a village to be precise) I quickly grew uncomfortable there. Driving to get everywhere, strip mall after strip mall, and a feeling of separateness and isolation from my neighbors were all contributing factors. Most Suburbs tend to be places that I have neither reason nor inclination to go. Many of them seem exceedingly repetitive to me and tend to lack character. ( This is all subjective of course, as the benefits of Suburbia outweigh the negatives for large numbers of people.While I am not one of them, I certainly respect that choice.)

Towns are fun to visit, but I find that they also quickly become too routine. Perhaps this is my A.D.D. talking, but I cannot seem to spend more than a day at a time outside of any city limits. I do like that the quintessential American town has a unique flavor all its own.

Having been raised in the suburbs and now residing in the inner-city of Cincinnati, I could not imagine living anywhere smaller than this. I enjoy hearing my fellow students at U.C. (those from small towns) discuss how immense, busy and crowded Cincinnati is. Reminds me everyday that people come from all places and bring a plethora of experience with them. Each person's story unique, a piece of the fabric of this nation and this world. Let's just say I am pleased, no, thrilled that not everyone feels or thinks the same way I do. That is what keeps things so very interesting.
Cities have their pros and cons. More traffic, more crime, and farther from nature. But then you also get more history, ethnicities and backgrounds, more nightlife, and more of everything from the world.

Towns are the reverse of that. Less traffic, less crime, and closer to nature. Less history, less diversity, and less nightlife and other places of the world. Also limited shopping. Towns also have a limited job opportunities where as suburbs and cities have a better job opportunity. Towns don't have large organizations or large governments. Jobs are limited to serving the local area and maybe one or two businesses specializing in a certain area like a college education, engineering, energy, military, etc...

Suburbs are usually for raising families, safety, and peace. Also larger homes and more affordable. They also have traffic, smog, but less crime. Some newer suburbs too have alot of offices and have their own businesses located there. Like Orange County, Palmdale, and Santa Clarita.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:30 AM

933 posts, read 1,763,775 times
I like inner suburbs because they offer a lot of the conveniences of suburbia (easy access to shopping), are often located well-served by public transit, are often the most racially/ethnically diverse parts of the metro area, are usually cheaper per square foot of residence than the cities they surround, and offer the immediate proximity to a city. I love places like Torrance, CA; Millbrae, CA; Fort Lee, NJ; Rutherford, NJ; Bellevue, WA (debatable as to whether or not it's a suburb); Rockville, MD; Vienna, VA, etc.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:23 AM

7,330 posts, read 11,653,376 times
I used to like cities but after growing up a little, I prefer just being close to the city. I have no desire to live downtown in any city anymore. I don't like the congestion. I actually love the safe tract-home suburbs where everyone has a big house and gates. That's my kinda living. I like it because you can lay out in your backyard whenever you want. You can just lie around the house relaxing, reading a book, watching tv, or on the computer. You can do a BBQ when your family comes over to visit. And you can impress your family with the house and neighborhood and have space for them and the kids to stay. I love that and value that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.