Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 04:04 PM

620 posts, read 1,746,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minneapolisville View Post
Rochester, MN. All rich, old doctors or scientists with way to much money and time. Very conservative policitally, and socially (Bland lifestyle).
Rochester? I don't think so. Rochester voted for President Obama both times. Many doctors and especially scientists (think very educated and smart) are very liberal. If you want to find heavy conservative areas think trailer parks (the south).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 07:57 PM

48 posts, read 108,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbear182 View Post
Rochester? I don't think so. Rochester voted for President Obama both times. Many doctors and especially scientists (think very educated and smart) are very liberal. If you want to find heavy conservative areas think trailer parks (the south).
Living in Rochester, I can say it is pretty conservative. Throughout history it has voted for the Republican president. The part two election has been extremely close, with some sources, including the local newspaper, saying Romney won Olmsted County, so it could be said it was a toss-up. Rochester almost always votes for a Republican governor. The city voted strongly for Tom Emmer in 2010. It voted strongly in favor of Voter ID. The marriage amendment could be considered a toss-up (extremely close, only a few hundred votes apart). The city voted for Tim Walz (DFL), but he is very in-the-middle. He may be a democrat, but he is pro-gun, and really supports Rochester. The city voted strongly for Dave Senjem, a Republican. Rochester is also the largest city in Minnesota with a mayor who is NOT a democrat. It has been an extremely long time since the city has had a democratic mayor (Wikipedia only has articles on Rochester's mayors going back to 1979, but no democrats).

If you look beyond the extremely close Presidential election, Rochester is a mostly conservative city. I wouldn't put it on a list of most conservative cities in America, but it definitely stands out from the rest of Minnesota.

Other conservative cities in Minnesota would be Saint Cloud, many Twin Cities suburbs, and almost all of rural Minnesota. I would not be surprised if Minnesota votes for a Republican in 2016. It was pretty close this election!

Old 12-07-2012, 07:58 PM

Also, I think Sioux Falls, South Dakota should be on this list.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:41 AM

64 posts, read 125,638 times
I think Fargo, ND is very conservative despite having a major university.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:59 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Most cities in the Great Plains fit the bill and they tend to have an obsolete social culture compared to much of the US. Natives like the area just fine, but many high achieving young people leave as soon as possible. Outsiders will immediately notice that the Plains cities have next to nothing in common with Midwest cities. MUCH more conservative overall with a very strong emphasis on conformity and following the herd.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:57 PM

630 posts, read 1,264,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minneapolisville View Post
Rochester, MN. All rich, old doctors or scientists with way to much money and time. Very conservative policitally, and socially (Bland lifestyle).
Olmstead county voted for Obama this year and Rochester looks like it takes up most of the county. Not conservative enough.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:01 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Olmstead county voted for Obama this year and Rochester looks like it takes up most of the county. Not conservative enough.
Rochester and Olmstead county have the Mayo Clinic and IBM and that is reflected in the high educational attainment of the area, somewhat unusual for a small metro.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Rochester and Olmstead county have the Mayo Clinic and IBM and that is reflected in the high educational attainment of the area, somewhat unusual for a small metro.
Though Olmsted County voted for Obama by a very slight amount, the Post-Bulletin did a city-by-city breakdown of the votes, and Rochester voted slightly in favor of Romney. As I posted earlier, the city votes for the conservative candidate is most other areas. However, I would agree that it not one of the most conservative cities in the country.

However, after some recent news, I don't think Rochester will ever vote for a democrat for a long time. The Mayo Clinic, which employs about 35,000 people in Rochester and about 50,000 in all of Minnesota, recently stated that Obamacare is a very difficult thing for them. They will have to majorly cut back on hiring, halt many new construction projects, and only focus on the most important things for patient care. This means that their plans to create 10,000 to 15,000 new jobs will be impacted. Do you think the citizens of Rochester are going to be fine with this? I definitely don't!

This isn't the only way that Democrats are hurting Rochester. Agenda 21, a plan created by the UN and supported by democrats, is causing a very negative reaction in the city. Older neighborhoods are planned to be developed as high-density areas, potentially forcing people out of home that the own, and making them live in multi-family units that they rent.

I still think the city has a very bright future, but it will take a bit longer for it to accomplish what it wants to.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:58 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Most cities in the Great Plains fit the bill and they tend to have an obsolete social culture compared to much of the US. Natives like the area just fine, but many high achieving young people leave as soon as possible. Outsiders will immediately notice that the Plains cities have next to nothing in common with Midwest cities. MUCH more conservative overall with a very strong emphasis on conformity and following the herd.
Even conservative cities on the Great Plains have their hipster enclaves. OKC has a gay district and Tulsa has the largest Universalist Unitarian church in the US. Not all young people can make it to Portland, Seattle, Austin, etc though many try. There are a lot of people who are the same way and have job/family ties to a place and can't up and move anywhere they want.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:01 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Many of the smaller Texan cities, but anyone who has been knows they're just giant suburbs anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.