U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 04:07 PM

10,625 posts, read 8,063,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I thought we already pointed out that was not a good way to decide if a city was a large city?
No doubt its large, but if it can't host a SB, how can you say it has everything Miami has?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Status: "CSU Pueblo football is ranked 3rd in the nation!" (set 6 days ago)

9,966 posts, read 10,840,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No doubt its large, but if it can't host a SB, how can you say it has everything Miami has?
Saying it has everything Miami has and saying it can hold conventions just as large as Miami can is two different things. Both cities have a large professional football stadium and both cities have many hotel rooms. Miami just happens to have more hotel rooms as their economy is based on tourism more then Jacksonville is just like Orlando has more hotel rooms then Miami because their economy is based on tourism more then Miami.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Saying it has everything Miami has and saying it can hold conventions just as large as Miami can is two different things. Both cities have a large professional football stadium and both cities have many hotel rooms. Miami just happens to have more hotel rooms as their economy is based on tourism more then Jacksonville is just like Orlando has more hotel room then Miami because their economy is based on tourism more then Miami.
Either way you type it, Jacksonville is nothing compared to Miami. Jacksonville doesn't have everything Miami does, nor does it have the ability to host conventions and events as large as Miami can.
This shouldn't even be a conversation.
Miami is to Jacksonville as Houston is to Ft. Worth (strictly Ft. Worth)

Old 06-07-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Either way you type it, Jacksonville is nothing compared to Miami. Jacksonville doesn't have everything Miami does, nor does it have the ability to host conventions and events as large as Miami can.
This shouldn't even be a conversation.
Miami is to Jacksonville as Houston is to Ft. Worth (strictly Ft. Worth)
If you want to look at it that then fine I grant you Miami is a larger then Jacksonville. Then again NYC is a much larger city then Miami yet I would defiantly call Miami a large city just like I would call Jacksonville a large city just like I would call Pueblo a large city. Just not as large as NYC.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:20 PM

Ok, I never said it wasn't large. I said it wasn't major. It's not. At least not by my standards.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Ok, I never said it wasn't large. I said it wasn't major. It's not. At least not by my standards.
Interesting way to say it. Is Jacksonville a "major" city. I have a different definition on that then 99.9% of the posters on here and I am ok with that. In my opinion any city in the United States that is over 100,000 people and the principal city of a metro area is not only a large city but a major city and a world class city. Yes I know the accepted definition of a world class city and it does not apply to them but I have been to a lot of cities outside the U.S. like Cuczo or Cape Town and they make any of the cities I talk about, even Pueblo, look like a world class city. At least in my opinion.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:32 PM

A city is major to me if it influences an unusually large region (Denver), or if the average American can name something signature about that city, other than sports teams.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
A city is major to me if it influences an unusually large region (Denver), or if the average American can name something signature about that city, other than sports teams.
Denver has its region but in Colorado so does Colorado Springs and Pueblo. Actually Pueblo has a larger region then Colorado Springs simply because of location.

Look at this map and every "major" city on their has a region. The size of the region depends on how isolated the larger city is. The problem Colorado Springs has is they are located between Denver and Pueblo so they will always have a smaller region.

BEA : Local Area Bearfacts

Old 06-07-2011, 05:27 PM

14 posts, read 17,560 times
When I said Jacksonville, Nashville, etc. are not "big cities," I was not trying to put them down or say they are not "world class." But to me, those cities are mid-sized and don't feel like a "big city." Being a "big city" is about scale. You can argue all day about Jacksonville offering the same amenities as Miami--it just depends on how you define those amenities. Yeah, they both GENERALLY offer restaurants, bars, clubs, concerts, and tall buildings, but they clearly are not the same. Scale matters.

What it comes down to is this: When I'm in the city, does it feel so big that I have a sense of adventure? I could explore New York for years probably. Of course, NY is the epitome of a big city, but other cities offer that feeling as well. Typically, those cities have a metro of over 2 million. Places like Jacksonville, Nashville, etc. feel like mid-sized cities. They're great places and have plenty to do, but I could come close to fully exploring them in a short amount of time. I don't feel overwhelmed by the urban area. The scale just isn't there. That doesn't mean they're not as good as "big cities"--some of my favorite cities are mid-sized.

Whether a city is "world class"/"major" is a different subject.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:31 PM

210 posts, read 23,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg967 View Post
When I said Jacksonville, Nashville, etc. are not "big cities," I was not trying to put them down or say they are not "world class." But to me, those cities are mid-sized and don't feel like a "big city." Being a "big city" is about scale. You can argue all day about Jacksonville offering the same amenities as Miami--it just depends on how you define those amenities. Yeah, they both GENERALLY offer restaurants, bars, clubs, concerts, and tall buildings, but they clearly are not the same. Scale matters.

What it comes down to is this: When I'm in the city, does it feel so big that I have a sense of adventure? I could explore New York for years probably. Of course, NY is the epitome of a big city, but other cities offer that feeling as well. Typically, those cities have a metro of over 2 million. Places like Jacksonville, Nashville, etc. feel like mid-sized cities. They're great places and have plenty to do, but I could come close to fully exploring them in a short amount of time. I don't feel overwhelmed by the urban area. The scale just isn't there. That doesn't mean they're not as good as "big cities"--some of my favorite cities are mid-sized.

Whether a city is "world class"/"major" is a different subject.
You can also fully explore Miami in a short amount of time because it is not a huge city like Tokyo, New York City, Sao Paulo, London, or Paris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.