U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-06-2010, 03:29 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 4,225,604 times

Advertisements

i understand the argument for areas of hawaii...but i still have to side with ny in this case. this thread won't last tho...you can't do a u.s. city vs a world city thread. i definitely wanted to do a tokyo vs ny thread as far as comparing and contrasting the two but yeah...
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 06:25 PM

8 posts, read 8,955 times
The only reason I won't say Hawaii, is because it's halfway between Japan and the united states, and not a mainland state. The population doesn't really compare to that of Tokyo Metropolis. Like New York City does, and even New York City doesn't really compare to the overall size of Tokyo.

But I say! If you haven't been to Tokyo! Go! :c) Hop on Orbitz and look at some tickets, the prices aren't that bad :c)

Old 08-06-2010, 06:48 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,373,546 times
Honolulu and Hawaii have to be the most like Japan due to sheer numbers and percentage of population that is Japanese-American. I think Los Angeles has one of the largest number of Japanese along with the Bay Area and Seattle.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:55 PM

10,180 posts, read 4,966,499 times
Hawaii. There is no other option. Hawaii easily.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:05 PM

224 posts, read 308,172 times
Other than the fact that NY and Tokyo are big cities, they have hardly anything in common. No to mention the relatively small portion of Japanese natives in NY.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:52 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 4,225,604 times
sure they do:

-public transit options
-the extensiveness of the subway system
-times sq and shibuya
-the fact that tokyo is almost like a metro area and nyc is made up of five boroughs, plus you should consider long island, westchester county and jersey city in this argument
-both are fashion capitals that bounce ideas off of each other
-both into baseball
-both the center of their regions

etc. etc.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:19 PM

2,117 posts, read 2,452,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
sure they do:

-public transit options
-the extensiveness of the subway system
-times sq and shibuya
-the fact that tokyo is almost like a metro area and nyc is made up of five boroughs, plus you should consider long island, westchester county and jersey city in this argument
-both are fashion capitals that bounce ideas off of each other
-both into baseball
-both the center of their regions

etc. etc.
Other than baseball, this fits every huge city in the world. London, Paris, Hong Kong. These points apply for them too.

Not saying NYC and Tokyo aren't alike, but it's mostly just cuz they're both huge.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:27 PM

I see way more resemblance to San Francisco than I do to any other American city based off feel. I am Asian... and San Francisco is THE place for that kind of Asian vibe. The topography with the mountains the condensed and very crowded city, the Bay being right there, a lot of Sea Food restaurants in San Francisco are among the best in the country and more Japanese food options. Oh and did I mention a hell lot of Asian people everywhere in San Francisco to give that vibe.

I'm sorry people but Hawaii has the most cultural connection to it, but San Francisco has the most similarities to it, IMHO nothing and I mean nothing else comes close to the Bay Area.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:31 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,178,099 times
Hawaii does not have the energy of Japan, I vote NYC.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:07 PM

Bay Area Japanese Population (2008 estimate): 67,877
New York City Metropolitan Area (2008 Estimate): 49,117
Honolulu Metropolitan Area (2008 Estimate): 128,956

In reality Honolulu has the largest Japanese population in America (slightly larger than Los Angeles by 2,000 people) and outside of Asia. But San Francisco still has the geographical setting and the city structure and vibe to pass off as a similar place to Tokyo.

So by state: Hawaii, followed by California
By city: San Francisco, then Los Angeles & Honolulu.

San Francisco has a more comparable city atmosphere to Tokyo than Los Angeles & Honolulu and geographical features gives it the edge over New York City as well as the vibe & culture of the city overall gives it that edge too, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.