Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 01:43 AM

7 posts, read 15,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
In the DC area you don't see black people all over like you do in the Atlanta area. The only real concentrations of black people in the DC area are in DC east of Rock Creek Park and the majority of Prince George's County. The rest of the metro area is probably only around 10-12% black.
I would highly recommend getting out more, and more frequently. I am from DC and have lived here a while (minus a few stints in other places). I see African Americans all the time and I lived in Silver Spring, Bethesda/Chevy Chase/Rockville. There are many other places to find African Americans in the area. Also, one thing to mention "East of Rock Creek Park" is so nebulous... there are African Americans West of the park as you go closer to the middle of the city and towards the University Area. Just get out more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 03:51 AM

25 posts, read 48,390 times
I'm in my late 30's and black and looking for the best city for african-americans is the last thing on my mind. Once you get past that mindset of having to be around "your people", you live pretty much anywhere. I'm looking to relocate next year and this question never came up. Questions that came up for me were things like QOL, jobs, public transportation, etc.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:36 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezy View Post
I just read a list that just doesn't seem right, that said, I thought maybe city data could provide a better opinions on this subject. Thanks in advance.
It would be helpful if you gave more of a criteria of what you were specifically looking for. If you're looking for a place that is racism-free then unfortunately you're looking on the wrong planet.

You probably would be best off in the WASHINGTON D.C. area, the economy there is much better than most other places in the country. A lot of educated people. Prince Georges County is notorious for having a massive amount of Black professionals and a very strong black middle class, black upper middle class and black rich, especially in the half of the county outside of the I-495. Just avoid some of the areas of PGC inside the I-495 and large parts of NE and SE DC. If you have kids then unfortunately the schools in PGC tend to not be the best but there is always private school.

NEW YORK CITY has a large Black middle class, as well as excellent nightlife, culture, shopping and the economy is a little better than most other cities (though definitely still not anything to brag about). Southeastern Queens is notorious for it's Black middle class. Check out this article: The avg. Black income actually surpassed the avg. white income in Queens (keep in mind that Queens has over 2.2 million people);
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/nyregion/01census.html?pagewanted=all
You can also find a number of predominately-black and diverse communities in the Long Island suburb [to the east] with middle class and upper middle class median household incomes and good schools (though some still get a reputation due to ignorance from ppl of neighborhing towns). The White Plains area of Westchester County has some black middle class areas too. Of course racism in the NYC area exists but it's mostly confined to chatrooms or people's living rooms. I'm shocked the NYC area was not mentioned in this thread.

Honorable mentions:
- Atlanta, GA
- DeSoto, TX
- Hartford, CT
- Culver City, CA[area]: Ladera Heights, Baldwin Hills, View Park-Windsor Hills: (I wouldn't recommend the LA region right now since the economy is in very poor shape.)
- Oakland, CA [The Hills of Oakland is very black and extremely nice]

Check out this interactive map that shows racial demographics, household income and educational attainment of almost EVERY area in the country;
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 12-28-2011 at 07:53 AM..

Old 12-28-2011, 07:50 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarvisp73 View Post
I'm in my late 30's and black and looking for the best city for african-americans is the last thing on my mind. Once you get past that mindset of having to be around "your people", you live pretty much anywhere. I'm looking to relocate next year and this question never came up. Questions that came up for me were things like QOL, jobs, public transportation, etc.
What exactly was your point in posting in this thread. I'm happy you've found a lifestyle that you're happy with and I respect that. But why post in a thread just to tell other people who might.enjoy the African American culture what to do?

Old 12-28-2011, 08:12 AM

I wasn't telling anyone what to do, just giving my viewpoint, or opinion on the subject. I was once like that(looking for that magical promise land for blacks), but evenutally realized I had to live where I wanted to not just because they had a large population of blacks.

And besides, it's not about being black it's about how you act, react to and treat people. Once you realize that, you can pretty much live anywhere and be happy.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:23 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
I wasn't telling anyone what to do, just giving my viewpoint, or opinion on the subject. I was once like that(looking for that magical promise land for blacks), but evenutally realized I had to live where I wanted to not just because they had a large population of blacks.

And besides, it's not about being black it's about how you act, react to and treat people. Once you realize that, you can pretty much live anywhere and be happy.
Why were you "looking for the magical promised land for blacks"? These sorts of lists just give an indication of cities where Blacks are doing well on average and were never meant to tell people where they should live. People get it all mixed up.

And for me, a city doesn't have to be 50%+ Black, but if I can't find a salon to do my loc maintenance or a local grad chapter for my fraternity or a church that's part of my denomination (or similar ones), then we're going to have some problems.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:45 AM

But that's how some people perceive those list. I know a lot of blacks that moved to some of those cities and some loved them and some didn't. I also know that moved to cities in states most blacks wouldn't consider and absolutely love the place.

My point was when I was younger(15-20) years ago, I had that mindset todo that, but matured and realized I didn't have to be in those places. I'm like you, as long as I can find a barber for a nice haircut, good food and cold beer, im good.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:58 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
Quote:
I think you'll find that this line of thinking will take you VERY far! I feel the same way (as a "whitey").

Old 12-28-2011, 09:06 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
But that's how some people perceive those list. I know a lot of blacks that moved to some of those cities and some loved them and some didn't. I also know that moved to cities in states most blacks wouldn't consider and absolutely love the place.

My point was when I was younger(15-20) years ago, I had that mindset todo that, but matured and realized I didn't have to be in those places. I'm like you, as long as I can find a barber for a nice haircut, good food and cold beer, im good.
I guess I just don't get that whole mentality. It's kind of foreign to me. I'm willing to bet it's more prevalent among Blacks in the North who are mainly looking to move to the South.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I think you'll find that this line of thinking will take you VERY far! I feel the same way (as a "whitey").
That's my poibt exactly!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.