U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 07-09-2011, 07:16 AM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 6,200,944 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
No, I'm not...but I'm not black or from the East. I know D.C. is ONE of the better city for blacks but I figured Atlanta was THE city for blacks as everyone and their mother (literally, at times) is moving "back" to Atlanta to seek better living. I haven't heard that as much for D.C.
Yeah Atlanta is getting a lot of Black transplants in droves, with a cheaper cost of living being a primary reason. The DC area is home to the the wealthiest majority-Black county in the nation and has a more highly educated Black population.

Here's another list that I came across that was published in April by Forbes:

Best Cities For Minority Entrepreneurs - Brett Nelson - If We Build It... - Forbes

1. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA
2. Baltimore-Towson, MD
3. Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro-Franklin, TN
4. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX
5. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL
6. Oklahoma City, OK
7. Riverside-Sand Bernardino-Ontario, CA
8. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV
9. Orlando-Kissimmee, FL
10. Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ

Granted, this list takes more than African Americans into account, but we're still part of the equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2011, 07:47 PM
 
Location: In my view finder.....
8,525 posts, read 7,984,530 times
Reputation: 8079
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezy View Post
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Did Your City Make The*List?)
These cities were selected by Black Enterprise (BE) magazine as the top ten places for African Americans in the United States.

Each city was evaluated on black home ownership rates, median black household income, black home loan rejections, percentage of black college graduates, black unemployment rates, percentage of black households earning more than $100,000 a year, and percentage of black-owned businesses.

Click the page #ís below to see the cities and give your thoughts on the list.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
B.E. has not put out that list in at least 5 years or more.

The June issue of B.E. is 100 Largest Black businesses.

What current issue did you get this list from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2011, 10:41 AM
 
30 posts, read 54,414 times
Reputation: 61
Some people question why a list like this is necessary. Yes, we live in a country with a (half) black president and are supposedly post-racial, but racism still exists. I grew up in western New York, which is an awful, extremely racist place. We were the only black people in the neighborhood. We (my siblings and I) went through hell. We were spit on and called "******" so many times that I lost count. I hated it there and vowed that I would never go back, and I haven't. And lest you think that such raw hatred of black people is a thing of the past, check out this lovely site: Chimpout.

I want to live where I am comfortable and people are tolerant. I don't care about being "accepted," I just want to be left alone. I have never been to Boston or Milwaukee, but those cities would be off the list, just from what I've heard (they are also too cold). I would also avoid Miami. It's not cold there, of course, but there is a definite racial hierarchy, with white-identifying Cubans at the top and black Haitians at the bottom. Interestingly, the northern states are supposed to be so liberal, but more and more black people are moving down South. My daughter lives in Atlanta, and she loves it. Personally I like the Tampa Bay area. Generally speaking, people seem nicer in the south and actually race relations seem to be better, at least in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2011, 11:46 AM
 
30,794 posts, read 35,834,492 times
Reputation: 6143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casher O'Neill View Post
Some people question why a list like this is necessary. Yes, we live in a country with a (half) black president and are supposedly post-racial, but racism still exists. I grew up in western New York, which is an awful, extremely racist place. We were the only black people in the neighborhood. We (my siblings and I) went through hell. We were spit on and called "******" so many times that I lost count. I hated it there and vowed that I would never go back, and I haven't. And lest you think that such raw hatred of black people is a thing of the past, check out this lovely site: Chimpout.

I want to live where I am comfortable and people are tolerant. I don't care about being "accepted," I just want to be left alone. I have never been to Boston or Milwaukee, but those cities would be off the list, just from what I've heard (they are also too cold). I would also avoid Miami. It's not cold there, of course, but there is a definite racial hierarchy, with white-identifying Cubans at the top and black Haitians at the bottom. Interestingly, the northern states are supposed to be so liberal, but more and more black people are moving down South. My daughter lives in Atlanta, and she loves it. Personally I like the Tampa Bay area. Generally speaking, people seem nicer in the south and actually race relations seem to be better, at least in my opinion.


Where in western NY was this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2011, 12:03 PM
 
30,794 posts, read 35,834,492 times
Reputation: 6143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where in western NY was this?
Also, historical roots, jobs and cost of living play a big part as to why Blacks, Whites and people of other backgrounds have moved South to some degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2011, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Armsanta Sorad
5,046 posts, read 3,436,327 times
Reputation: 1945
I could name some.

Los Angeles, Seattle, Phoenix, Denver, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Houston, New York, Long Beach, and Oklahoma City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2011, 12:39 PM
 
30,794 posts, read 35,834,492 times
Reputation: 6143
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I could name some.

Los Angeles, Seattle, Phoenix, Denver, Las Vegas, Atlanta, Houston, New York, Long Beach, and Oklahoma City.
There are many places. It's a matter of handling your business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2011, 12:43 AM
 
1 posts, read 11,902 times
Reputation: 10
I am Creole and I don't like living amongst black people at all , I live in Los Angeles in an area that has many Creoles but yet there are unwanted African Americans . South Louisiana is Creole country many areas do not like or want those blacks .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2011, 08:04 AM
 
Location: the future
1,447 posts, read 1,873,516 times
Reputation: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by creolebelle View Post
I am Creole and I don't like living amongst black people at all , I live in Los Angeles in an area that has many Creoles but yet there are unwanted African Americans . South Louisiana is Creole country many areas do not like or want those blacks .
.....stop crying:.......NEXT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 12:11 PM
 
26,647 posts, read 21,816,830 times
Reputation: 7415
Quote:
Originally Posted by creolebelle View Post
I am Creole and I don't like living amongst black people at all , I live in Los Angeles in an area that has many Creoles but yet there are unwanted African Americans . South Louisiana is Creole country many areas do not like or want those blacks .
Sorry you feel that way, but Creole also means you have some Black ancestry in you. Under the American rule of "one drop", if you have ANY Black ancestry in you, you're Black, no matter what. So basically, you are hating on a part of you.

Just one question: What is your problem with African-Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top