Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:48 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
As for this thread, I'd definitely say that Oakland is the best city on the west coast to be black. The history and the support & acceptance of the history from the city itself is definitely there. Oakland's black population is very economically diverse. While there's certainly high black-on-black crime in the most impoverished economic bracket of the Oakland black population, that's true of all the other cities mentioned in this thread. What isn't true of the other cities is the tune to which Oakland is integrated... I have yet to see another city where all ethnic groups can be found in abundance in all of the social classes.

EDIT: Also, if one cares about Jack and Jill-esque clubs (I don't) then it's worth noting that Oakland is one of the most active chapters of the Links Cotillion; there is a strong Jack and Jill presence as well.
Best place in California to be Black & dirt poor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:47 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Best place in California to be Black & dirt poor...
According to what?

Old 06-08-2011, 05:56 PM

404 posts, read 1,094,840 times
City/ Crime Risk Index
1. St. Louis: 530
2. Atlanta: 484
3. Birmingham Alabama (tie): 380
3. Orlando (tie): 380
5. Detroit: 369
6. Memphis: 361
7. Miami: 346
8. Baltimore: 339
9. Kansas City, Missouri: 337
10. Minneapolis (tie): 331
10. Cleveland (tie): 331

Old 06-08-2011, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,811 times
Great Thoughts Everyone. Does anyone have any opinions on North Carolina? I'm currently considering relocating to either the Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham area. Both seem to be diverse, growing areas and welcoming to Afr-Ams.

BTW, I grew up in NYC, lived in Atlanta for 6 years and looking to flee Florida once I complete my degree (not diverse enough, extremely low pay scales and limited job/business prospects). Over it!

Atlanta is not what it used to be. When I go back to visit now, I'm glad I don't live there anymore. The majority of the Af-Ams I know that have moved there in the last 5 years are looking to move away. Others who have been there longer seem more inclined to stick it out. As much as I love NYC, its only for visits and periodic extended stays now. I don't want to live there permanently anymore.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:09 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple589z View Post
Great Thoughts Everyone. Does anyone have any opinions on North Carolina? I'm currently considering relocating to either the Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham area. Both seem to be diverse, growing areas and welcoming to Afr-Ams.

BTW, I grew up in NYC, lived in Atlanta for 6 years and looking to flee Florida once I complete my degree (not diverse enough, extremely low pay scales and limited job/business prospects). Over it!

Atlanta is not what it used to be. When I go back to visit now, I'm glad I don't live there anymore. The majority of the Af-Ams I know that have moved there in the last 5 years are looking to move away. Others who have been there longer seem more inclined to stick it out. As much as I love NYC, its only for visits and periodic extended stays now. I don't want to live there permanently anymore.
Why do I get this feeling I know you.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:23 AM

929 posts, read 1,903,665 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega
As someone who lives in the V of the DC Metro area, please take the V off that list. Northern VA is definitely not bustling with American black people (no hate--i love my African ppl). I get pretty sad about it too when I'm looking for good southern/soul food and have to either go to MD (ugh!) or drive all the way to Woodbridge and find a decent barbecue joint--which can be about as southern as it gets sometimes, sadly

Thats typically why when mentioning the DMV its moreso DC and PG county...outside of that the AA pop is more dispersed. N. Virginia is a whole different world with its own set of rules from DC and MD
In the DC area you don't see black people all over like you do in the Atlanta area. The only real concentrations of black people in the DC area are in DC east of Rock Creek Park and the majority of Prince George's County. The rest of the metro area is probably only around 10-12% black.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
In the DC area you don't see black people all over like you do in the Atlanta area. The only real concentrations of black people in the DC area are in DC east of Rock Creek Park and the majority of Prince George's County. The rest of the metro area is probably only around 10-12% black.
Around Silver Spring, there are quite a few as well. On the VA side, it seems like Alexandria and Arlington are pretty high and the rest have decent amounts.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple589z View Post

Raleigh seems to be the new spot now. Charlotte is still up there, but Raleigh is taking it to another level. A lot of NYers, including those from my part of the state are still moving to both areas though. Same with Greensboro and Winston-Salem to a smaller degree.

Don't sleep on Nashville or the Hampton Roads/Tidewater area of VA though. Both have had steady streams of Black folks moving to both and have the cultural aspects that many Black folks tend to look for. Houston and Dallas as well.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Relatively few blacks live in Squirrel Hill or Shadyside, etc., and Wilkinsburg is a gang-overrun cesspool with terrible schools. There are no middle-class areas in Wilkinsburg to speak of. There are only former middle-class areas. Penn Hills (and Monroeville) used to be fairly nice places to live, but they have declined significantly in recent years as well.
What about this area? Welcome to the Blackridge Civic Association

What about Pittsburgh neighborhoods like Beltzhoover, Point Breeze North and Stanton Heights/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-09-2011 at 08:59 AM..

Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
I'm constantly hearing people say that "Atlanta isn't what it used to be", but they never really specify what they mean by that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.