Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:47 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,497,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Ok, ok, it's not that lame, but still...I dunno...I wasn't that impressed by it when I was there...but again...I'm from a much larger city so can you blame me? ...I've been there only one time.
Calling a city lame because it is smaller than your city is well...lame! C'mon ajf, give us some substantial reasons or take it back.

This forum would be greatly uplifted if people would give REASONS for why they feel the way they do about cities, not just fire off offhanded remarks based on nothing. I don't mind if people diss my city if they give a substantial reason, but if its just casual non-thinking or based on stereotype or lack of knowledge, that's just not worth reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 11:39 PM

355 posts, read 2,698,028 times
Default Nashville is a very interesting city thank you very much!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Gosh, where do I begin? OKC, Phoenix, Omaha, Jacksonville, Nashville, Indianapolis. No offense to the natives, I just didnt enjoy what I saw whatsoever.
Nashville is not lame! Most of the people that come to Nashville are expecting a big city feel matching to Houston or Chicago. Nashville is a big city with a small city feel. Also, most people do not understand that this is "Music City." People should understand that Nashville's main industry is music. I'm so sorry to those people who come to nashville expecting night clubs and bars in which you can party all night! I mean of course we have lots of interesting night clubs and bars to go to, but that is just not our focus in Nashville. The main focus of nashville is the music scene. Not the club scenes of cities like Atlanta or Houston or Los Angeles! Music is part of nashvilles culture. It is called "Music City" for a reason you know!! If you can't appreciate Nashville's culture and southern hospitality, then please don't bother coming. we here in Nashville appreciate it's southern hospitality and music culture. At least we are not like those other big cities like Houston and Atlanta that have lost their southern hospitality and have no real culture.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:51 AM

7,064 posts, read 16,641,428 times
[quote=Louisvilleslugger;1239680]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post

St. Louis like most other rustbelt towns was booming before the manufacturing decline and suburbanization began. In that during the time that St. Louis was booming it's city proper peaked somewhere around or above 800,000, with it's city proper being 66 sq miles. Louisville on the other was around I believe 61 sq miles with a peak population of only around 390,000, that makes for a drastic difference for the feel of density when comparing both city's. Alot of people however tend to compare present day St. Louis and the Old city of Louisville and with their similar square milage and similar population (st. Louis having 100,000 more people than Louisville) and tend to believe that they've always been this similar or within this same range of population density when that simply isn't the case.

However Louisville is by no means a dull city!! True enough it might not be the New Orleans of the Upper South, But it's river city culture and it's cultural ties to the South and the Midwest makes this truely unique in it's own way. It along with Lexington are probably most known for their unique horse culture, which I'd argue is like no where else in the U.S. Also there is more to a city then it's downtown and skyline, and I'd avise a few people to travel through a few of the many unique neighborhoods of Louisville before making such bold assumptions.

Good assessment Slugger. There is much more to Louisville than driving through I-64 as well. And I disagree about the downtowns wholeheartedly. Louisville has a MUCH more pedestrian friendly, safer, more active downtown. Unless STL catches up, the downtowns will be incomprable by 2010 when Louisville completes its major downtown projects. STL just has a lot more mess to clean up. As you can tell by peak populations, Louisville just did not decline a fraction of what STL did. If one thinks west Louisville is bad, they should check N STL. And this is not counting East STL or other extremely rough inner ring suburbs. STL has a high percentage of its metro in poverty, and a MUCH higher ciolent crime rate.

As I said, STL is twice the size of Louisville in metro area. I don't recall claiming Louisville is bigger. For all intensive purposes, the old cities ARE roughly equal in size, but NOT the metro areas. Both contain a similar number of gentrified, artsy/liberal areas. STL has a decent amount more diversity and has some old features of it being a much larger city, with areas like the Hill whereas Louisville has no Italian neighborhood left. STL has better museums due to its history, and also a few more stores (but not many) than you would find in Louisville like Saks. Dining and nightlife wise, I would say Louisville gives STL a heavy run for its money, with added points for being more compact. Also, I will believe STL population stats when I see the 2010 census. The census had the city still losing population then the city whined and demanded a recount. STL is cleaning up, but household sizes are so much smaller bc those that return to lofts downtown or rehabbed old Central West end flats are usually empty nesters or young and single. Also, as Slugger pointed out, when your city loses 500k people that means there are a hell of a lot of empty buildings and dilapidated structures. That takes more time to clean up than a city that did not decline nearly as much.

In the end, I don't to start a pissing match. Both are great cities. But if one finds Louisville dull, I would think one would think the same of STL. After all, the cities share a lot in common except Louisville has half the metro area=less sprawling suburbs. You CANNOT judge a metro by the side of the interstate. If you do that, KY's metros look much smaller than they are.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:28 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,119,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
If you can't appreciate Nashville's culture and southern hospitality, then please don't bother coming. we here in Nashville appreciate it's southern hospitality
Nice "hospitality".

I went to Nashville to check it out, and I didnt expect a big-city experience. I enjoyed the mall and the hotel, but our trip downtown was a bust. We went to some TN war museum, which was pathetic and should have been called the German WWII artifact museum seeing that most of the stuff in there was just that. We couldnt find a place to eat that looked 1/2 decent, so we ended up at the tiny Hard Rock Cafe, which also was rather nasty. Add to that the incredibly muggy air and bums harassing us every 10 minutes and thats why I called it "lame". I guess there was a nice tattoo parlor there though...

We have all posted cities we think are "lame", I happened to think Nashville was lame. No big deal, we all have our own opinions.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:56 PM

160 posts, read 516,227 times
In order,

Nashville, TN
Jacksonville, FL
Oklahoma City, OK
Tulsa, OK
Orlando, FL

Old 08-11-2007, 10:33 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,002,394 times
Do people expect too much out of our cities?

Old 08-11-2007, 12:15 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,894,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Do people expect too much out of our cities?
Maybe. Most of the cities mentioned are relatively young cities when compared to established Northern cities and large westernd and southern ones. And of course all US cities are very young compared to cities in Europe. East Asian cities are very old but since most of their growth occured in the past century I can't classify them as such. For good or bad, one thing that has hindered American cities are vibrant suburbs and high crime (at least reputation-wise).

If you've ever visited Taipei you know how dense and alive that city feels but that largely mono-culture (ethnic Chinese) lends itself to much lower crime. And different views of privacy and personal space make it so there are no suburbs as we would define them.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:49 PM

6,207 posts, read 11,811,481 times
I would have to say San Diego. For a city that size, it is kind of lame. I'm not saying it's a bad place, just slow and boring. It doesn't even feel like a city, but rather an oversized suburban area. The one plus side is that it is one of the safest large cities in the U.S. because of the demographics (more wealth and less poverty), but on the downside you have deal with in most areas of S.D. what you have to deal with in the upscale communities of any city (pretentious, stuck-up, materialistic people). There are ghettos in San Diego, but they seem to be tame compared to the ghettos of other cities. It may sound crazy, but the low crime rate adds to the lameness of the city. The news would actually report whenever a lady gets her purse stolen, as if it were a murder. When there actually is a murder, it's on the front page for weeks. Also, cops are bored here. But once again, if you do like the big city with a small town feel, San Diego might be the right place for you. As for me, I'd prefer a faster paced city (not too fast like L.A. or N.Y, but more like Seattle or Atlanta).

If I was into surfing or other water sports, I would like it a lot better here. It was also more fun when I was single going out to Gaslamp and Pacific Beach.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:36 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,328,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
. At least we are not like those other big cities like Houston and Atlanta that have lost their southern hospitality and have no real culture.
You're not helping your case by demeaning other cities just to hype yours? I don't know about Atlanta. But I bet you rarely spent anytime in Houston to say they have no real culture.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:28 PM

160 posts, read 516,227 times
Omaha tries. I don't mind Omaha. It doesn't pretend to be something it is not.

I don't care what anyone says about Nashville, it is boring and dull. I have been there many, many times. Used to commute there for work 3 days a week. Knoxville, Chattanooga, and even dirty Memphis are better choices.

Never been to Indy, Little Rock is another city that "tries". Great countryside. Louisville is alright for what it is. Phoenix is a hell hole, not lame, just a crime ridden hell hole.

Jacksonville is a big city that is big, dull, and did I say boring? Used to live there.

Orlando, taken as a whole is very disappointing. Lots of cookie cutter houses and cheesy tourist traps.

Oklahoma City has no identity, but I think the quality of life is good. Just a big city on the prairie. It is what it is. I doesn't "pretend" to be exciting like the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.