Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:13 PM

718 posts, read 2,688,414 times

Advertisements

I don't know whats worse, suburbanites, or the fact that they claim to be from a major city when they travel abroad. HAHA no one knows or cares about your small, redundant, charmless sprawl. oh and enjoy sending your kids to a PUBLIC school...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 12:39 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,086,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
My experience is that those in the suburbs often make blanket statments about cities being "dangerous or crime-ridden", often ignoring the fact that they may be in specific areas or neighborhoods. Whereas major metro residents often have an elitist complex about living in the "big city."
Isn't that the truth. I loathe 'big city' elitists, 90% of the time they are 20 something childless hipsters that grew up in wealthy suburbs. I live in a neighborhood full of them, and mock them mercilessly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a city person, and have been for 10+ years, and that is how I prefer to live, but I don't have a complex about it. It is just my personal choice. I've visited diverse and interesting suburbs, and bland homogeneous urban neighborhoods over the course of my life, to make sweeping statement about 'the city' and 'the burbs' just shows ones ignorance of the US landscape.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:38 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
I don't know whats worse, suburbanites, or the fact that they claim to be from a major city when they travel abroad. HAHA no one knows or cares about your small, redundant, charmless sprawl. oh and enjoy sending your kids to a PUBLIC school...
You see this is the exact attitude I'm talking about.

Now I could argue that cities are in fact more lame than their suburbs. But people would look at me like I'm insane...Of course it's all a matter of perception. What I call abandoned houses someone else calls "character". What I call gang war someone else calls "diversity". The inner city just isn't the place to be anymore, I'm sorry. It just isn't a big surprise that Americans prefer more suburban areas. They have for the past 61 years, and they'll continue to do so for quite some time. I know a few neighbors of mine as a matter of fact who would pay a pretty penny in terms of gas expenses just to live in a neighborhood in which undesireables were kept out.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:37 AM
j33

Ah, but all city neighborhoods are not awash with abandon houses and gang members. My neighborhood certainly isn't (there are a few gang sorts, sure, but even most suburbs these days have that element). I could rattle of a pretty long neighborhood list of Chicago neighborhoods that are booming with development and rising real estate prices. They are not neighborhoods that people are living because they are 'stuck'. The notion of 'city' you just espoused is just as untrue as the notion of 'suburb' the previous poster espoused.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:47 AM

117 posts, read 507,368 times
I have lived in the city virtually all of my life. Now that I am getting older, I don't find myself needing the city life as much as I used to.Also, I am finding myself wanting a bit more space in between myself and my neighbor. So perhaps someday I will venture out to suburbia provided there are certain amenities(hospitals, bookstores/coffeeshops,transportation systems) nearby.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:50 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Ah, but all city neighborhoods are not awash with abandon houses and gang members. My neighborhood certainly isn't (there are a few gang sorts, sure, but even most suburbs these days have that element). I could rattle of a pretty long neighborhood list of Chicago neighborhoods that are booming with development and rising real estate prices. They are not neighborhoods that people are living because they are 'stuck'. The notion of 'city' you just espoused is just as untrue as the notion of 'suburb' the previous poster espoused.
That's exactly my point: it isn't true. I don't judge a man or look at him differently because he prefers to live in the city. I just don't appreciate it when people judge me because I prefer to live in a suburb, and especially without understanding the processes and reasoning behind it.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:31 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I do and I think it's great. I mean I'm pro city but when it comes down to it, I just like being in my safe suburb (Carmel, IN) at the end of the day. I would say that I am in the minority here for doing so but in the majority with the general population. Of course I'd still live in the city but there seems to be this better way of life outside the city than inside. This is why I laugh when people tell me the inner city is a great place to raise a kid. I just tell them to look at Cleveland and St. Louis for proof...and actually I have no sympathy for cesspools like Cleveland and St. Louis because they sit back and let their cities are falling apart while at the same time wondering why the high growth areas like Nashville, Charlotte, and Houston are passing them up. I know it's subjective but it really is the quality of life.
I have been to Texas and in my opinion it's not a bad place, but Houston has alot of murders, even more so than Atlanta and it was like that before Katrina. The initial reason why so many people move to the Sunbelt cities is mainly this reason: the warmer climate. Hence the name, Sunbelt. Btw, it depends on which city you live in. If you live in Denver or Colorado Springs, those places aren't bad. I live in the suburbs and I was once a child. Te suburbs aren't always a good place to raise a child.Drugs and other crap can get out there too, and often without the good things a city can offer.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,552 times
Default The city is a nice place to visit.

The constant sounds of sirens, the polution, lack of trees, the business that open 24/7, locked doors when home and when not, dust all over from the heavy trucks and traffic up and down the streets every minute, blaring of horns as you try to get into the out of city exit lane, the only thing between you and your neighbors is an old pathetic looking fence otherwise we could see into each others bathrooms.
Much nicer is a backyard with trees, some of us really enjoy being home we don't stare at the 4 walls and neither do our kiddo's we are involved in things, we use our imaginations, love our hobbies, enjoy our families, having friends but not so close that you know each others brand of toilet paper, you can see the stars at night and learn about the galaxy just by looking up, you don't have to stay in a locked up home, you can hear the sounds of wildlife and even see a dear, or a owl now and then- how awesome is that. The house does not shake due to constant construction... it's not so fast paced that you forget everything you are suppose to do and spend most of your time looking for things you had no time to put away due to some distraction or another.There is a calm here a feeling of peace. Life is slowed so you can keep up with yourself. The city is a nice place to visit, but my home is in the suburbs. xkacyx

Old 08-08-2007, 11:16 AM
j33

Do you really think people who live in cities are cowering in their locked homes at night? I know that I certainly do not.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:41 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Do you really think people who live in cities are cowering in their locked homes at night? I know that I certainly do not.
Maybe in New Orleans, or Detroit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.