Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 03:35 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,027,339 times

Advertisements

i consider food as fuel, and only eat what i need. breakfast normally never, lunch maybe a sandwich of some kind, early dinner mainly potatoes and some kind of meat..small portions

i ate three times a day when i worked hard, but i'm just a desk monkey now, so i don't need to eat very much...now that i think of it i normally only eat when i am hungry instead of a set regiment, sometimes i can go a day and a half without eating and its no bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 03:37 PM

20 posts, read 58,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Yes off course.
I just wonder about your evening meals. Where I come from, supper is still formal. People sit together at the table. They eat bread, cold meat (wurst) and cheese, and sometimes lunch left-overs. In what area do you live?
Niedersachsen. Its still normal here but and I doesnt mean that we never sitt together in the evening but i meant that the Mittagessen is the biggest and most important part of the day.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:17 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterlovalova View Post
Niedersachsen. Its still normal here but and I doesnt mean that we never sitt together in the evening but i meant that the Mittagessen is the biggest and most important part of the day.
Yes, that is what we did when we lived in Bavaria.
Breakfast very early in the morning, brotchens (fresh from the bakery !!!), some milk for the kids or a warm drink like cacao.
Then a healthy midday meal, Mittagessen or whatever you call it.
It actually turned to be our main meal for the day.
Then in the evening a very light meal, like a small sandwich or soup.

We actually felt much better while we lived there.
Never had that *I can't believe, I ate the whole thing* feeling at night ...

Now we live in the USA again, and we went back to the USA schedule ...
Somewhat ...
Which is:
Breakfast, if we have time.
Lunch, at work for those with jobs, or at school for those at school.
Then Dinner (main meal) at home.

Then when all the kids left the house, we are now back at our Euro schedule.
And we again feel better always.

Last edited by irman; 06-07-2011 at 06:10 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 05:17 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
It would be hard to have all family members at "Mittagessen" in the US. Most people are at work, kids at school. They have 30-60 min break for lunch. Time varies, depends where you work and what is your work schedule.
Mittagessen (lunch) is between 11 and 2. Most people eat out, but some eat at work. Soup and sandwich, salads, whole meal. Meat or fish, potato/rice or noodle/veggies/bread soft drink or iced tea are typical, at least in my area.
Restaurants are crowded, and everything is rushed; you get the bill on your table before you finish eating. Most of the time you are in & out in 30-45 minutes ( or less ).
Those that eat at work bring own lunch or order food from places that deliver. They eat at the desk or in a break room.
After work most people run errands ( shopping, pick-up kids from school, etc. ), grab something to eat from a drive-through, get frozen food, cook something easy at home, make lunch for next day. Some families gather together and have a meal, some eat on the go. They are busy bringing to or picking up kids from afternoon activities, doing stuff around the house.
Family meals are more common on weekends, when at least one meal is cooked at home. But I know plenty of folks that never cook, maybe except a quick BBQ when they have time and weather is ok to do so.
I also know people that seldom eat together - they open the fridge, take something to eat, or warm it up in the microwave and disappear in their own world.
I assume that in rural areas where life is bit slower, people have more time for family life. Same for families where one parent stay at home. But when both parents are working, there is not much time for family gatherings and meal time during the week.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:51 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,185 times
i have to eat a lot. i'm a landscaper so i'm always out working plus i'm also a powerlifter. i currently have a total of about 5,000 calories per day. i can post those actual meals later.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:04 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
^^^ Nah... 5,000 cal a day??? Way to much for an average person

Old 06-07-2011, 07:21 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ Nah... 5,000 cal a day??? Way to much for an average person
yup, i lift. here's what i had today

6:00 am
2 cups egg beater
42 grams protein powder
2 1/3 cups oatmeal
4 teaspoons flaxseed oil
1 tablespoon almonds

9:00 am
42 grams protein powder
1 cup skim milk
1 cup oatmeal
1 1/3 teaspoon flaxseed oil

11:30 am
49 grams protein powder
3 1/3 cups pomegranate juice

1:00 pm
15 ounces tuna
3 cups rice
2 bell peppers
4 1/3 teaspoon olive oil
2 ounces cheddar cheese

4:00 pm
12 ounce chicken breast
1/4 cup cucumber
1 bell pepper
1/8 head of lettuce
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1/3 cup applesauce
2 2/3 cup rice
13 tablespoon almonds
5 ounces cheddar cheese

7:00 pm
35 grams protein powder
1/2 cup yogurt
1 cup oatmeal
1 1/3 teaspoon flaxseed oil

9:00 pm
good treat of whatever i want; pizza, wings, cheesesteak, nachos, etc. --- tonight, i'm having some hot italian sausage off the grill. then a day isn't complete without a dessert.

about 5,500 calories total.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:25 PM

76 posts, read 193,363 times
how do you not have to crap yourself while out on the road 10 times a day? lol

Old 06-07-2011, 09:59 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
6-8: Breakfast - coffee, orange juice, sometimes eggs & toast, sometimes cereal with milk. Depends on time.

11-1: Lunch - whatever I can grab. Sometimes fast food, sometimes a ham sandwich, sometimes a candy bar and a soft drink.

5-8: Supper/Dinner - Usually a family meal, or a big meal. Sometimes a nice meal at a restaurant...sometimes a pizza delivery. It just depends.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:02 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
This is my typical food day and I consider it typically American in that it consists of a blend of American influences and influences from my immigrant parents:

Breakfast: High-fiber cereal with dried berries -OR- bread, cheese, smoked ham, liver paste.

Lunch: matpakke consisting of knekkebrød (Wasa crackers) with butter, cheese, cucumber and a piece of fruit, usually an apple

Dinner: anything from Pizza to roast chicken to kjøttkaker, to Vietnamese to Mexican to... just about anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.