Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:13 PM

20 posts, read 58,973 times

Advertisements

I would like to know how you eat in USA. I mean what at which time. I give an example.
Germany (I think almost all Europe counties beside England):
Breakfast before work or school just two pieces of bread and a cup of coffee. Mostly very fast and most of the people just drink coffee and eat nothing.

Mittagessen (dont know english word : 12:00-15:00 every time a warm meal. And if possible with the whole family. My mother even wants us not to start before everybody has his dish. Mostly after the meal a dessert.

In the evening its motsly that everybody gets what he want and eats when he wants.

Please tell me more how its done in the USA...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 02:21 PM

76 posts, read 193,363 times
breakfast - 6-8 am - cereal /eggs/ toast/ etc is common
lunch - 11am-1pm - sandwiches are popular
dinner - 5-7pm - usually the meal with the family and the largest of the day

Old 06-07-2011, 02:37 PM

441 posts, read 1,326,832 times
The only difference I found is that dinner is usually a bigger meal/event compared to lunch.

Other than that, not much difference, google "brunch", that's a funny thing to try.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
The only difference I found is that dinner is usually a bigger meal/event compared to lunch.

Other than that, not much difference, google "brunch", that's a funny thing to try.
Do you mean dinner like for a celebration (easter, christmas...)?
The difference i found is that it seems, that in the US the people eat in the evening together.

Are you european?

Old 06-07-2011, 02:49 PM

985 posts, read 1,853,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterlovalova View Post

In the evening its motsly that everybody gets what he want and eats when he wants.
Really? Is that how you have your supper?

Old 06-07-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Really? Is that how you have your supper?
Yes, the "big" meal is midday.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:16 PM

441 posts, read 1,326,832 times
Quote:
Do you mean dinner like for a celebration (easter, christmas...)?
The difference i found is that it seems, that in the US the people eat in the evening together.

Are you european?
I mean that lunch in Europe is like dinner in US. Family gathering, bigger meal, more formal. Lunch in US is like dinner in Europe, smaller food, often on-the-fly, rather informal.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
Quote:
I would like to know how you eat in USA. I mean what at which time. I give an example.
Germany (I think almost all Europe counties beside England):
Breakfast before work or school just two pieces of bread and a cup of coffee. Mostly very fast and most of the people just drink coffee and eat nothing.

Mittagessen (dont know english word : 12:00-15:00 every time a warm meal. And if possible with the whole family. My mother even wants us not to start before everybody has his dish. Mostly after the meal a dessert.

Please tell me more how its done in the USA...
It truly can vary a lot between different people in the USA in eating habits but some generalizations can be made in eating behavior. I think this is true for plenty of other countries too outside the USA and think it is still true.

Usually, the lightest meal of the day for people in the USA is breakfast and least variation in what people eat for breakfast. Pretty much every everybody has a coffee caffeine drink for breakfast to go with the light meal. Usually at 7am to 9am.

Lunch is usually a heavier meal than breakfast for people in the USA and more variation in what people eats but not as heavy and not as much variation as dinner. Around 12 pm to 1pm.

Dinner is usually the heaviest meal more heavier than breakfast, and lunch, and most type of variation can be found for what people eat for dinner.
Also, people usually eat breakfast at the same time as well as eating lunch at the same time in the USA, but for dinner the time people eat in the USA can vary a lot. Anywhere from 6pm to 2 am where someone would eat dinner.

Also, certain Americans eat much more than other Americans. And there is a big variation between what different Americans eat.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:26 PM

985 posts, read 1,853,123 times
Quote:
Yes, the "big" meal is midday.
Yes off course.
I just wonder about your evening meals. Where I come from, supper is still formal. People sit together at the table. They eat bread, cold meat (wurst) and cheese, and sometimes lunch left-overs. In what area do you live?

Old 06-07-2011, 03:29 PM

221 posts, read 656,252 times
You eat warm food for lunch in Germany???

In Denmark we have smørrebrød for lunch. Which is like dark rough-bread with toppings lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.