Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 10:37 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times

Advertisements

people that are actually offended by the term "fly over country" need to take a chill pill and get a life.

1. It's not all that common that ppl say it.
2. When ppl say it, they just mean farms and forest and other remote areas of the rockies where no one really lives.
3. it's not that serious.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:38 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Funny how the East and West Coast dorks call the rest of the country "flyover country", yet airports in "flyover country" (ie Atlanta and Chicago) are busier than theirs. Kinda seems ironic, doesn't it?
Yeah, us so-called "dorks" didn't have 100+ shootings on the 4th of July either like in Chicago. Talk about a city that's going backwards whereas L.A. and NYC have improved tremendously with crime over the last 20 years. Chicago, if anything, has backtracked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
The air of superiority is just too much. People are people, no matter where they live. To try to classify everyone in the Midwest the way you are, is a little ridiculous, and a little passive/aggressive.
Wrong - and how is it passive aggressive? You are taking my words and twisting them so it seems. But hey, that's what some people in the Midwest like to do!

Old 07-13-2017, 11:19 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Yeah, us so-called "dorks" didn't have 100+ shootings on the 4th of July either like in Chicago. Talk about a city that's going backwards whereas L.A. and NYC have improved tremendously with crime over the last 20 years. Chicago, if anything, has backtracked.
What on earth does any of this have to do with whether something is/isn't flyover country?

Old 07-13-2017, 12:11 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
What on earth does any of this have to do with whether something is/isn't flyover country?
The fact that Chicago is a failing "flyover" city with a corrupt government that is either too lazy or stupid to do anything about crime.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:34 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
The fact that Chicago is a failing "flyover" city with a corrupt government that is either too lazy or stupid to do anything about crime.
Crime doesn't make a city "flyover." Baltimore, Philly, Miami, etc. aren't traditionally considered flyover and they've got violent crime in spades.

In my opinion, Chicago is definitely not flyover regardless of crime issues.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:52 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
This is not the political forum to use political views to use over actual stats and realities....
You have a VERY negative view on Chicago as previous post denote. As is your right.

But it is ridicules to declare Chicago INCREASINGLY becoming a "flyover city" in this era its CITY-PROPER increase in tourism stats hit 52-million last year. That surpasses NYC domestic numbers but NYC skyrockets overall in tourism adding INTERNATIONAL visitors in. In International visitors its extremely difficult to compete with Mighty NYC, LA, Vegas, Miami/Miami Beach and Orlando.....

So using more isolated gangland Chicago violence and political blame? To DOG THE WHOLE city is incorrect.
Quote:
It depends on who you ask. Some coastal folks will give a pass to larger metros like Denver, Minneapolis or Chicago. Texas and the south generally isn't included. I'm pretty sure most East Coasters don't even know what the I.E. (Inland Empire) actually is.

So technically it would be any stretch between the BOS/WASH corridor and L.A. Metro Area. Say what you will about the middle of the country, but it has a different less direct vibe than the coasts. People can get weird fast.

That's so strange but I believe it. Even here in DEN there's a bit of a backlash to people from the coasts - partly because of transplants being here but also that East Coasters are stereotyped as too aggressive. It's funny because if someone from South Dakota tries to give some backhanded compliment to an East Coaster, they could just call them a stupid WASP and be done with it.
Earlier in this thread you gave some states and cities POINTS AS NOT FLYOVER SEEN BY SOME. Now this new post by political negative views want to call Chicago FALLING FAST TO FLYOVER MORE?

Sorry, but this city has INCREASED stature, recognition, visitors high feedback in stats in all sorts of links. From tourist #s to number of tourist sights list it makes and favorability on links like TripAdvisor.
Some links give insight to Chicago RISING NOT FALLING TO FLYOVER AMONG CITIES....

Top 25 Destinations — United States. Chicago # 7
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Traveler...ions-cTop-g191
#1 NYC
#2 Maui, HA
#3 Island of Hawaii, HA
#4 Oahu, HA
#5 Las Vegas
#6 Orlando
#7 CHICAGO
#8 SD
#9 SF
#10 Key West

Chicago Named #4 One Of The Top Best Summer Vacation Spots In U.S
https://wallethub.com/edu/best-summe...inations/3792/

- Chicago placed fourth overall among 80 American cities in this year's Best Places to Visit in Summer roundup by personal-finance site Wallethub.
- Chicago scored best in terms of activities (restaurants, public beaches, music venues, etc.); attraction and "travel costs and hassles" (flight costs, number of connections, etc.), placing in the Top Ten of each those three criteria. Other categories that factored in were local costs, safety and weather.

Ranked per gauge:
Travel costs and hassles: #6
Local cost: #53
Attractions: #5
Weather: #45
Activities: #4
Safety: #21

No EASTERN CITIES in Top 10.

Another:
Travel + Leisure readers rank the best cities around the U.S. for a summer getaway.
America's Best Cities for Summer Travel | Travel + Leisure

What's the Best American City for Exploring Architecture? CHICAGO at #1 NYC #2.
https://www.thoughtco.com/must-see-c...the-usa-178154

So NO STATS show Chicago becoming more "flyover" and viewed more negative. DESPITE the gangland crime most realize are in neighborhoods they never need to see.

Travel and Leisure readers voted Chicago #9 in Summer destination cities. NO Northeastern city made the Top 10.
America's Best Cities for Summer Travel | Travel + Leisure

26 Major cities with the HIGHEST Quality of Life in the World.
Chicago #22 in the world BY DEUTSCH BANK GERMANY.
The 26 major cities with the highest quality of life in the world | The Independent

Though one MAY DISAGREE WITH LINKS RANKINGS..... The fact Chicago LIST HIGH?? PROVES -NOT FALLING TO MORE FLYOVER.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:25 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,738,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Lots of nice hills in the Midwest....maybe you were sleeping through part of the trip. I suppose it depends what states you drove through, as well.
Wasn't sleeping at all. Went from NJ -> Wa. Even after the black hills it sorta went back to being boring flat fields until we hit western Wyoming where Yellowstone is then it was pretty scenic the rest of the way. Not saying the middle of the country sucks or anything like that just not much too look at in terms of natural scenery on my drive through it and our route didn't take us through any major cities really so it was a pretty mundane drive through the middle section of the country and we apparently took the more scenic route

Old 07-13-2017, 03:56 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Wasn't sleeping at all. Went from NJ -> Wa. Even after the black hills it sorta went back to being boring flat fields until we hit western Wyoming where Yellowstone is then it was pretty scenic the rest of the way. Not saying the middle of the country sucks or anything like that just not much too look at in terms of natural scenery on my drive through it and our route didn't take us through any major cities really so it was a pretty mundane drive through the middle section of the country and we apparently took the more scenic route
Contrary to popular belief Ohio actually has a decent amount of hills (especially the southern third of the state which is part of Appalachia). If you went through Central Ohio you passed by Columbus which is a metro of over 2 million people and has plenty to do and if you were up north you passed by one of the largest freshwater lakes in the world.

Western PA and West Virginia are also quite hilly and not full of "flat fields", which you would have likely passed through if you were coming from my home state of New Jersey.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:21 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,738,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Contrary to popular belief Ohio actually has a decent amount of hills (especially the southern third of the state which is part of Appalachia). If you went through Central Ohio you passed by Columbus which is a metro of over 2 million people and has plenty to do and if you were up north you passed by one of the largest freshwater lakes in the world.

Western PA and West Virginia are also quite hilly and not full of "flat fields", which you would have likely passed through if you were coming from my home state of New Jersey.
I actually remember parts of western PA being hilly and we went through a tunnel under one of the hills. Don't remember much about Ohio except the motel we stayed at there and a restaurant we ate at...other than that don't remember much about it. I remember Illinois behind tolls everywhere and being super annoyed about it. A hotel we stayed at in Rockford was an epic craphole that didn't look updated since the 70s and the smell reminded me of an old bowling alley lol.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:28 PM

309 posts, read 307,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I actually remember parts of western PA being hilly and we went through a tunnel under one of the hills. Don't remember much about Ohio except the motel we stayed at there and a restaurant we ate at...other than that don't remember much about it. I remember Illinois behind tolls everywhere and being super annoyed about it. A hotel we stayed at in Rockford was an epic craphole that didn't look updated since the 70s and the smell reminded me of an old bowling alley lol.
so I take it you don't remember much going thru Chicago, Milwaukee, or MPLS & St Paul...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.