Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:17 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
I know that crime is everywhere and nowhere is perfect, but there comes a time in one's life when you want more than what you have. I have had it with walking my son to school past the hookers and dealers, having neighbors that are gang members, users, dealers, pimps, and feel the need to pee in the hallway and mark their territory. Not all cities are like that. I have lived in too many places to ever think I have to settle and keep my head level just to survive. I refuse to have my son think this is common place. I have worked my butt off for the past 6 years to get an education so I can leave for good. I want this move to be his last one if possible and family safety, fun, and future comes first.
Congratulations on being able to move. I'm intrigued you find all this in Utah. While I admire your efforts for your son, I agree with the poster who said stop looking for the perfect place. Find a good job and live in a good neighborhood in any of these cities, and stay out of the bad areas that each city in the US has. For example, you are concerned about crime in Portland. I've spent a bit of time there and it sounds nothing like the life you lead in Utah. If you move to Portland, therefore, it sounds like a big step up to me. Probably true for the other spots on your list. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 11:11 AM

125 posts, read 333,734 times
The Albany-Troy-Schenectady areas could work.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:04 PM

93,296 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking2BeFree View Post
The Albany-Troy-Schenectady areas could work.
Yeah, I thought about other NY metros too. Glens Falls or Saratoga Springs might be perfect for the OP.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:07 PM

322 posts, read 1,103,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
I know that crime is everywhere and nowhere is perfect, but there comes a time in one's life when you want more than what you have. I have had it with walking my son to school past the hookers and dealers, having neighbors that are gang members, users, dealers, pimps, and feel the need to pee in the hallway and mark their territory. Not all cities are like that. I have lived in too many places to ever think I have to settle and keep my head level just to survive. I refuse to have my son think this is common place. I have worked my butt off for the past 6 years to get an education so I can leave for good. I want this move to be his last one if possible and family safety, fun, and future comes first.

I am asking for advice from people who live in other areas because the US is very large and regional. Personally I love the North East and am focusing on that area but I would also love to own a sailboat one day. Perhaps when I retire.
yeah sorry i didn't mean to seem brutally honest too much ...i know what you mean about that situation that your living in...it kinda sucks...hopefully you can find a town that has exactly what your looking for. For the most part Places like what you explained are not that bad at all.. that's an extreme case..lol but i mean yeah if you move anywhere out of where you are at then you should be just fine with finding a low crime, safe neighborhood that is free of that behavior. The Northeast would be perfect for you... personally i love the northeast too.. i just got back from my road trip to vermont..=) It was just amazing!!! so beautiful up there..=)

Old 06-09-2011, 01:46 PM

93,296 posts, read 123,941,088 times
What about Lockport, NY? It's close to Niagara Falls, Buffalo and is on the Erie Canal. It gets less snow than the rest of that part of NY as well and Canada is very close. A lot of family friendly things to do as well. https://www.fnfg.com/AboutUs/CareerSearch/

Official Lockport, NY Government & Tourism Information ~ Erie Canal Locks & Flight of Five

Lockport City School District
Starpoint Central School District

Old 06-10-2011, 06:51 PM

190 posts, read 202,271 times
Portland Me is charming and vital. I have no idea where you got the idea it might be unsafe.

Cambridge/Somerville Mass--Yes , it is expensive but the subway, busses and commuter rail can bring you to beaches and the woods quickly and you can walk everywhere and bike too.

Burlington, VT
--almost perfect!!--the only cons are tons of college students and cold.

Providence RI--compact, historic city. Ripta busses can bring you to beaches.

It is true that life is what you make it but when you live in a nice place(nice donwtown, trees, good entertainment choices) well it makes a difference.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:58 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riblue View Post
Portland Me is charming and vital. I have no idea where you got the idea it might be unsafe.

Cambridge/Somerville Mass--Yes , it is expensive but the subway, busses and commuter rail can bring you to beaches and the woods quickly and you can walk everywhere and bike too.

Burlington, VT
--almost perfect!!--the only cons are tons of college students and cold.

Providence RI--compact, historic city. Ripta busses can bring you to beaches.

It is true that life is what you make it but when you live in a nice place(nice donwtown, trees, good entertainment choices) well it makes a difference.
Re the bolded, I wondered the same thing. I used to visit Portland regularly when my former MIL was alive. It's a small, clean, charming city on that beautiful bay and a place I thought I might like to live someday. The idea that it's some bastion of crime seems a little over the top, unless it's changed drastically in the past fifteen years or so.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:52 PM

410 posts, read 1,521,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Re the bolded, I wondered the same thing. I used to visit Portland regularly when my former MIL was alive. It's a small, clean, charming city on that beautiful bay and a place I thought I might like to live someday. The idea that it's some bastion of crime seems a little over the top, unless it's changed drastically in the past fifteen years or so.

I lived in Portland about 10 years ago and it had a lot of gang crime. Mainly due to drug use. I have 3 friends that are still there that say it has gotten worse. I lived on Congress by the hospital. The area is really pretty especially out by the airport but street gangs are not my idea of a great attribute for a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.