U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2011, 08:02 PM
 
1 posts, read 4,692 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello, I am a 21 year old college student preparing to graduate in December with a BS in Business Admin. I grew up in NorCal (SF & Sac) and currently go to school along the central coast. Now don't get me wrong, I love California and it will always be my home. But I'm ready to move out of state and try something new. I've traveled extensively across the US and have been to 11 other countries as well. I love big urban cities and my dream is to live in a high-rise building in the heart of a major metropolis. But what city would be best for me?

My wishlist:
1) A city with a lot of diversity, different cultures, and well-educated individuals
2) Urban areas in more than just the city's downtown
2) Somewhere with an excellent public transit system as I plan to sell my car
3) Great nightlife with a variety of different clubs/bars (not just gay ones)
4) Somewhere near or on the water (ocean, lake, river)
5) Preferably somewhere that doesn't get too cold

COL isn't really something I'm worried about at this point. I currently pay $700/month for a room in a house. I'm willing to share a room with a roommate for a while or do whatever I have to do to make it in the best city for me.

Places like New York, Boston, and DC seem to fit the bill. I'm just worried about the cold. Out of all the major big cities across the country, which ones are the worst? I've heard Chicago's winters are brutal.

I would really appreciate any input you can offer. Thanks in advanced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2011, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,422 posts, read 12,409,364 times
Reputation: 4851
South Florida metropolitan area / Tampa Bay Area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Center City
6,849 posts, read 7,795,643 times
Reputation: 9469
You have a couple of mutually exclusive criteria: A city you can live in without a car, does not get "too cold" and is outside of Cali. As for the first criteria, you've named the cities where I would consider living without a car, plus I would throw in Philly. But are these too cold for you? I don't know. Chicago winters meet my definition of cold. The northeast is cold but milder, by my standards. Do some google research on average winter temps and snowfall rates for these cities and see for yourself. I'd also do some rental research as well, because depending on the level of comfort you are seeking, $700 sounds a touch light in many of these cities. I can assure you Manhattan is out of the picture on that budget.

Looking closer your way, I'm wondering if you've considered Portland? Compact, very good transportation, mild (if dreary) winters, and it hits most other items on your wish list.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,177 posts, read 21,013,009 times
Reputation: 4258
You might want to look at the Denver/ Boulder area. If you live in certain parts of the MSA you could not have a car and be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2011, 09:40 PM
 
11,172 posts, read 22,363,867 times
Reputation: 10919
I feel like I'm the only person that actually digs Chicago's winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 01:54 AM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,098,260 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanite4life View Post
Hello, I am a 21 year old college student preparing to graduate in December with a BS in Business Admin. I grew up in NorCal (SF & Sac) and currently go to school along the central coast. Now don't get me wrong, I love California and it will always be my home. But I'm ready to move out of state and try something new. I've traveled extensively across the US and have been to 11 other countries as well. I love big urban cities and my dream is to live in a high-rise building in the heart of a major metropolis. But what city would be best for me?

My wishlist:
1) A city with a lot of diversity, different cultures, and well-educated individuals
2) Urban areas in more than just the city's downtown
2) Somewhere with an excellent public transit system as I plan to sell my car
3) Great nightlife with a variety of different clubs/bars (not just gay ones)
4) Somewhere near or on the water (ocean, lake, river)
5) Preferably somewhere that doesn't get too cold

COL isn't really something I'm worried about at this point. I currently pay $700/month for a room in a house. I'm willing to share a room with a roommate for a while or do whatever I have to do to make it in the best city for me.

Places like New York, Boston, and DC seem to fit the bill. I'm just worried about the cold. Out of all the major big cities across the country, which ones are the worst? I've heard Chicago's winters are brutal.

I would really appreciate any input you can offer. Thanks in advanced!
I would say Dallas, although getting around 100% of the time without a car more than likely would not be a reality & the closest body of water are the many lakes & Trinity River, which is just a glorified creek bed...for now anyways. Other than that I think it meets all your needs as a large city.

Dallas is one of the top US cities/metros for younger gay professionals & entrepreneurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 02:00 AM
 
551 posts, read 996,339 times
Reputation: 455
I think having a not too close place can really limit your options. I could say more but winters can really limit it.

I think Texan cities like Austin or Dallas or even San Antonio might do good or Miami might fit your bill (although much of Texas including the cities tend to be more car-oriented FYI). Portland, Oregon is another really good choice and I don't think the winters would be terrible there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 02:03 AM
 
Location: Upper East Side of Texas
12,521 posts, read 23,098,260 times
Reputation: 4890
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
I think having a not too close place can really limit your options. I could say more but winters can really limit it.

I think Texan cities like Austin or Dallas or even San Antonio might do good or Miami might fit your bill.
Austin doesn't have the diversity, many urban areas, or public transit he's looking for in a city. Dallas would be a better fit IMO. Definitely not San Antonio. Gays just don't move there & fit in very well unless you are Hispanic & even then its not really known for supporting that kind of lifestyle. In other words his options would be rather limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 06:26 AM
 
21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Reputation: 19595
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanite4life View Post
Hello, I am a 21 year old college student preparing to graduate in December with a BS in Business Admin. I grew up in NorCal (SF & Sac) and currently go to school along the central coast. Now don't get me wrong, I love California and it will always be my home. But I'm ready to move out of state and try something new. I've traveled extensively across the US and have been to 11 other countries as well. I love big urban cities and my dream is to live in a high-rise building in the heart of a major metropolis. But what city would be best for me?

My wishlist:
1) A city with a lot of diversity, different cultures, and well-educated individuals
2) Urban areas in more than just the city's downtown
2) Somewhere with an excellent public transit system as I plan to sell my car
3) Great nightlife with a variety of different clubs/bars (not just gay ones)
4) Somewhere near or on the water (ocean, lake, river)
5) Preferably somewhere that doesn't get too cold

COL isn't really something I'm worried about at this point. I currently pay $700/month for a room in a house. I'm willing to share a room with a roommate for a while or do whatever I have to do to make it in the best city for me.

Places like New York, Boston, and DC seem to fit the bill. I'm just worried about the cold. Out of all the major big cities across the country, which ones are the worst? I've heard Chicago's winters are brutal.

I would really appreciate any input you can offer. Thanks in advanced!
DC would best fit the bill. It's winters aren't anywhere near as brutal as Chicago, Boston or even NYC. It has arguably the most diverse populace and is at the top of the intellectual scale. The public transit system is excellent, particularly within the city limits. It's also very walkable in the NW quadrant of the city where you would most likely reside. The nightlife scene is very good with a nice mix of gay, straight and mixed venues. The COL is high but at $700 a month you will find a lot of share options to choose from. Lastly and most importantly in my opinion, there are jobs. DC has managed to evade high unemployment rates and currently sports a 5% unemployment rate.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2011, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,157,104 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I would say Dallas, although getting around 100% of the time without a car more than likely would not be a reality & the closest body of water are the many lakes & Trinity River, which is just a glorified creek bed...for now anyways. Other than that I think it meets all your needs as a large city.

Dallas is one of the top US cities/metros for younger gay professionals & entrepreneurs.
not really. Dallas matches its size for gay population. It is the 9th biggest city and has the 9th largest gay population (after NY, LA, Chicago, SF, Houston, Phoenix, SD and Seattle).Places like, SF, Seattle, Boston, Minneapolis, etc are outliers because they have high numbers relative to their population (ie high percentages). Same for Metros, SF and Boston have higher numbers than their metro pop would suggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
I think having a not too close place can really limit your options. I could say more but winters can really limit it.

I think Texan cities like Austin or Dallas or even San Antonio might do good or Miami might fit your bill (although much of Texas including the cities tend to be more car-oriented FYI). Portland, Oregon is another really good choice and I don't think the winters would be terrible there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Austin doesn't have the diversity, many urban areas, or public transit he's looking for in a city. Dallas would be a better fit IMO. Definitely not San Antonio. Gays just don't move there & fit in very well unless you are Hispanic & even then its not really known for supporting that kind of lifestyle. In other words his options would be rather limited.
none of the Texas cities fit his criteria. public transportation is NOT easy in any of them, they have very few highly urban areas, Austin and SA are not Diverse, Dallas and SA have no bodies of water he can do anything (I am assuming he means getting in the water not standing next to the Trinity or SA Rivers).

The Texas Cities would fit if he was only looking for his other criteria- jobs, nightlife, COL, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top