Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 01:54 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times

Advertisements

I am wondering what is the deal with Macy's? What is up with their company right now? I heard Macy's used to look for high population areas, but then seeing how Macy's is in some parts of Montana, Hawaii, and other under populated areas I think income is more important. I mean Macy's is in Hilo and there is hardly any population there.

Anyways, I think Macy's is a great store. It's one of the desirable chain stores I like.

But how do they end up in undesirable cities and yet also appear in desirable cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 01:58 PM

333 posts, read 638,822 times
They bought out Foley's and I think something else. Store is crap now minus a few locations.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:50 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacemm View Post
They bought out Foley's and I think something else. Store is crap now minus a few locations.
Hardly crap unless you opt more toward Bloomingdale's or Neiman Marcus. It's the best place for sales on quality name-brand clothing versus cheap throw-aways sold at stores like Kohls, Target, WalMart of Sears.

Old 06-10-2011, 02:58 PM

333 posts, read 638,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Hardly crap unless you opt more toward Bloomingdale's or Neiman Marcus. It's the best place for sales on quality name-brand clothing versus cheap throw-aways sold at stores like Kohls, Target, WalMart of Sears.
Yeah, I tend to go for more quality over quantity.
Also, I don't mean that in a rude or snobbish way. My closet isn't that big but most of the items I have cost me a pretty penny but are several years old (minus all my band t-shirts and jorts lol)

Old 06-10-2011, 03:18 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,053 times
Macy's is anywhere there's a mall. It's not an exclusive brand although they do sell top designer in rich areas that you wouldn't get in their other locations.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:33 PM

575 posts, read 1,370,372 times
Default to the city

How do you define "desirable" and "undesirable" cities?

Old 06-10-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Macy's is anywhere there's a mall. It's not an exclusive brand although they do sell top designer in rich areas that you wouldn't get in their other locations.
Not in every mall. Some malls will have Sears and JCPenneys. Some will have Sears, JCPenneys, and Dillards. Others Sears, JCPenneys, and Herbergers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
How do you define "desirable" and "undesirable" cities?
Desirable is where alot of people want to live. People who are willing to pay good money to live somewhere. I should say less desirable for the other community. Communities that might be affordable and have lower paying jobs, but aren't the most beautiful, entertaining, safe, or enjoyable community.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:09 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times
They have different tiers of stores in different demographic environments. Don't expect a Macy's in Montana to offer the same "product" as the Macy's on W 34th.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
They have different tiers of stores in different demographic environments. Don't expect a Macy's in Montana to offer the same "product" as the Macy's on W 34th.
Oh, care to explain this more?

That makes sense. Is this why people say one market is a tier 1, one is a a tier 2, and tier 3....

I guess Macy's can adapt to different demographic environments.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:28 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Macy's bought lots of local department stores and chains. Here in the Twin Cities, they bought Dayton's, once the cities' premier department stores. Now that they are Macy's, their service, selection and quality have declined. Used to shop at Dayton's a lot, but mostly I'll go to Kohl's before I'll go to Macy's. Nothing special about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.