U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 AM

443 posts, read 851,491 times

Advertisements

realistically speaking, i'm happy to be able to live in the US, but if i had to choose (no order apart from the first) these are the states i'd hope to live in

Missouri
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Washington
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Indiana
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:00 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,222,444 times
Oregon, California, Hawaii, Washington

Last edited by bradleyyo; 02-29-2012 at 12:34 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 12:29 PM

9,965 posts, read 16,571,458 times
Washington, Oregon, California, Hawaii, Alaska, New Mexico, Montana, Utah, Colorado, Minnesota, Louisiana, Florida, New York, Massachusetts, Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina

Just off the top of my head, those are the states that I've liked enough from visiting and what I know about them that I'd be willing to move there for a job or just on a whim...

Old 02-29-2012, 08:05 PM

5,650 posts, read 7,691,850 times
Probably Arizona or Nevada, and maybe California.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:44 PM

506 posts, read 1,215,751 times
I could live in and enjoy any of the 50 states, because I live a rock-star lifestyle.

However, I prefer the following:

Alaska
Colorado
Idaho
Kansas
Michigan
Minnesota
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Mexico
North Dakota
South Dakota
Utah
Washington
Wyoming

Old 02-29-2012, 08:48 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,627,878 times
Would be easier to list the states I don't have a desire to live in:

Nevada
Arizona
Dakotas
Nebraska
Arkansas
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
Kentucky
West Virginia

Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 PM

42,661 posts, read 82,581,463 times
I have no trouble liking just about everyplace, and I could live anywhere and make it work. Even Alabama, where I lived two different times. The most difficult challenge for my taste would be trying to live in any large city or metro area. Climate would figure strongly in my preference, I don't like cold weather.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 AM

10,955 posts, read 15,667,924 times
I've lived in many states and traveled to many more. From where I've been and what I know, I could definitely do the following:

California - for all I care, it can continue to be the least-liked state in the US, it's still the best IMHO My two favorite cities are here, the state itself is stunning, and life here is good.
Oregon - specifically, the high desert regions, and Portland is nice.
Nevada - I actually do like Las Vegas, even though I'm not into gambling, hookers, or the whole sleazy glitz and glam thing. COL is great, 24-hour liquor laws and the ability to drink outside on the Strip seal the deal for me!
Arizona - I've read things here alleging people in AZ to have a poor attitude, which is bizarre to me, since I traveled there often for business and found people generally to be pretty cool and agreeable. Climate is near perfect for me, and I thought Phoenix was alright; not quite as exciting as I'm used to, but not bad either.

It's largely a climate thing: I like warm-to-mild weather and hate humidity and freezing cold. If I have to wear anything more than a sweater under a Dickies jacket or peacoat in the dead of winter, I'm not interested. I need to be able to see the sun for most of the year; this is not negotiable.

And, possibly:
Massachusetts - Spent my teens in Boston/Cambridge, and my immediate family as well as a huge number of friends still live there, so I'd have a social circle back up and could easily click back into the culture. However, I don't like the climate much - summers are way too humid, winters are way too cold, springtime sends me into a months-long allergic fit - and I also have to remind myself that while I can click back into the social climate there, it was also a large reason that I high-tailed it back to CA.

Hawaii - never been there, so I feel like it's only fair to hold judgement... my brother was stationed there with his family for about a decade with the Navy and they loved it, and pretty much everyone I've met has also told me I'd love life out there. I speak/read/write some Japanese, which would help in terms of a career as well as giving me a good opportunity to use the skill (I generally only use it to order food here). The cost of living itself isn't a huge deterrent (I've lived in SF and live in the most expensive part of LA) so much as potential for income to offset that high cost of living. "Isolation" doesn't bother me hugely, since my family lives on the other side of the country and I see them once a year as it is, and the islands have some awesome roads I could flex my car on. Seems OK on paper, but I'd have to actually get out there to see how it really fits.

I could do Chicago or NYC for a short stretch, but not indefinitely, and I wouldn't be interested in living in the rest of the state.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 AM

14,163 posts, read 25,888,260 times
CO
CA
OR
WA
HI
NM (maybe)

I've lived in the West so long, I just couldn't deal with the humidity/bugs in the East. I know HI is more humid, but it's still not like FL humidity.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:36 PM

443 posts, read 851,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecreamsandwich View Post
realistically speaking, i'm happy to be able to live in the US, but if i had to choose (no order apart from the first) these are the states i'd hope to live in

Missouri
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Washington
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Indiana
I forgot to add Utah to this list lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.