Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 06:30 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,103,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
I would say that the Denver suburbs are great for young families, but I've never viewed Denver itself as a very young city, especially the city itself. Denver's demographics have always seemed older to me. Once you get into the suburbs, you have a lot of young married couples with kids, but nowhere in the the state is there a raging "singles scene" like you'll find in places like Austin, Chicago, Seattle, Atlanta, etc.

Colorado Springs really is a great city for young people, and I would choose it over Denver.
This is probably why it's one of the few metros I've come to have any appreciation for.
But then again, I'm turning 28 this month and feel as though my 20s-overall never got off to any sort of running start.

However, many cities in the inner-mountain west should be able to accommodate everyone of any age.
If you're an urban-centric, Denver, SLC, and all the others have some degree of chic to them to keep one satisfied.

If you're an outdoor-enthusiast or just like the sights of nature, then there's plenty of that mere hours from the urban fringes.

As far as SF, LA, NYC, and Miami goes, you really don't have to be there unless you like the coast for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 06:57 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,782 times
Best cities for 20's

Portland
Denver
Austin
Minneapolis
Sacramento
San Diego
Boise

Old 06-12-2011, 07:09 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm813 View Post
Two main cities that I have thought over have been Nashville, Tn. and Phoenix, Az. Of these two I have frequently seen Tennessee near the top of the list on most Obese state population, and lowest quality of life. I've been to Nashville many times and can't beleive that this would be true for this city, but again I don't live here. My main concern with Phoenix would be job market. I constantly hear that there are not many good wage jobs in Phoenix. I also have heard that downtown is not lively and an unsure of the 20's crowd there. Mainly I would like a town with a large population of ppl near my age to meet, and singles, along with things to do (nightlife,outdoors, and so on) to avoid boredom. I appreciate any and all opinions and feedback again!
Nashville is like a big small town. The professional circles are seemingly closed to outsiders. If you aren't seeking that, it might be easier. But bear in mind there are also a lot of more undesirable types that hang out there because of the industries. The nightlife is ok, but also very spread out. I could see it being hard to establish a professional network or social network as an outsider. It isn't very compact and most younger professionals are clustered in small communities around the city.

Phoenix on the other hand is a major major metro. The job situation there right now is not good, but it will improve. The desert is a natural attraction. Personally I admit my bias because I love the desert and don't like the Deep South.

If you are looking for lots of people in your age bracket and tons of stuff to do, Phoenix is perfect. Most young professionals live in Scottsdale or the Camelback area of Phoenix. Downtown Scottsdale has incredible nightlife. Tempe is more Arizona State Univ. focused, but still pretty amazing.

Phoenix also has all the major sports teams, great weather all year round (if you like the heat), and outdoor activities close by (though Nashville does too).

Arizona is a live and let live state. This means that the people often don't care about your past whereas Nashville Southern hospitality means people like to get in your business.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:18 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
You're right, Buffalo seems like a good choice. I don't know enough about its housing prices and I've never even visited it, so I couldn't include it on the first go-around, but it's fine to add to the list.
Very affordable housing options and has a lot going on. Just make sure the job situation is set. Kenmore, a very dense and affordable suburb next to those neighborhoods in Buffalo would work too. RealtyUSA | New York Real Estate |

Rochester NY apartments, Buffalo apartments, Syracuse apartments, Albany NY apartments listings from The Renters Guide

MapsKrieg - Buffalo, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale

Old 06-13-2011, 05:32 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,046 times
Austin, Chicago, Houston, Seattle, and NYC would be my picks.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:06 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,871,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Austin, Chicago, Houston, Seattle, and NYC would be my picks.
Seattle and NYC are the OPPOSITE of affordable -- Chicago can be expensive too.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:24 AM

597 posts, read 2,108,077 times
Just to ask, how can Nashville be considered closed too outsiders? I've lived here all my life (5 decades) and it doesn't matter if I'm at work or in the neighborhood, I just can't find any one from here anymore (many friends here from Indy, btw). Anyway, do proper research. Opinions and misinformation shouldn't be used as your guide to relocation. Good luck with where you end up. Lots of places to be happy out there. Give us a closer, educated look and you'll find us to be a viable candidate for further scrutiny. Cheers.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:38 AM

I mean that a lot of the top power brokers in the city have been 5 generations in and it is very hard to break into top layers of the social scene. Obviously this is changing for the better everywhere as our country becomes more diverse and transplanted.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:44 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngleDave View Post
Just to ask, how can Nashville be considered closed too outsiders? I've lived here all my life (5 decades) and it doesn't matter if I'm at work or in the neighborhood, I just can't find any one from here anymore (many friends here from Indy, btw). Anyway, do proper research. Opinions and misinformation shouldn't be used as your guide to relocation. Good luck with where you end up. Lots of places to be happy out there. Give us a closer, educated look and you'll find us to be a viable candidate for further scrutiny. Cheers.
Seriously, if Nashville is so closed to outsiders, why do Nashvillians keep voting in mayors who moved to Nashville from somewhere else?

You have to go back to 1987 to find the last Nashville mayor who was actually from Nashville, and he served only one term. After that:

1991-1999 - Phil Bredesen (D), born in NJ, raised in NY and MA
1991-2007 - Bill Purcell (D), born and raised in Philadelphia
2007 - present - Karl Dean (D), born in SD, raised in MA

Bredesen was in his 30s when he moved to Nashville, and the last two both moved to Nashville while in their 20s and, obviously, it worked for them.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-14-2011, 10:55 AM

B/c the majority of the people are not the professional power brokers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.