Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:15 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
I have been to Salem, never to Lily Dale. Salem is a beautiful town and I know one of the old tradition families there. My introduction, via a good friend who told me about his family, was an interesting experience and confirmed for me that there are witches and, "old ways," people who are definitely pre-Gardnerian. They are definitely not the crystals and cards crowd you find in most places. It was a bit unnerving actually as many of these families have been practicing for a long time and not only are they rich, they are powerful. As I understand it, they arrived in Salem soon after the hysteria and never left. The women are the heads of the families and they run the show. The men aren't as involved in the craft but rather go out and earn piles of money though they do participate in most rituals. The families tend to intermarry too. It's kept quite hush, hush. No outward appearance would tell you these people are witches. They do not much mix with the Wiccans in the town, prefering their own little social enclave.

Cassadaga is a tiny village, Lily Dale even smaller. Cassadaga is an incorporated village in the township of Stockton in Chautauqua county. Lily Dale is an unincorporated hamlet in the township. It is not within the confines of the incorporated village of Cassadaga, just close to it.
Wow...You have a way with words. I only know a few people who can paint a picture by the words they choose, good job. I never been to Salem but after reading your descriprition feel compelled to visit. There is a wide destinction between witches and wiccans, wiccans are more in to spirituality and the worship of the earth, witches are more in to tradition, magic and casting spells. "They're all rich" What do they do for a living? I imagine that Salem much like Boston is a very expensive city to live in and probably has a small population? I sorta figured on the fact that they don't look any different than the guy next door. Any indicators whatsoever that would tell you that they're a witch be it through their speech or appearance, anything?

Chautauqua County sounds like an enchanted community of its own. Is it only populated by Witches or do ordinary people live there as well. I'm curious as to how these people appear in public and how they earn their livelihood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 02:18 PM

45 posts, read 267,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarrytown View Post
probably portland or seattle
This is probably true, although I don't have anything to back it up other than the area (the Northwest) is very open and friendly to everyone and anyone, no matter what the lifestyle (except NASCAR and dog fighting).

If Portland ever had a Wiccan festival, and maybe they already do, it would get a great turn out from all walks of life.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainebenes View Post
This is probably true, although I don't have anything to back it up other than the area (the Northwest) is very open and friendly to everyone and anyone, no matter what the lifestyle (except NASCAR and dog fighting).

If Portland ever had a Wiccan festival, and maybe they already do, it would get a great turn out from all walks of life.
Elaine-

Are you living in Portland or Seattle presently or have you lived there before?
I'm very interested in finding out if Portland and Seattle have a large number of Wiccans and whether it's something people openly practice. Anyone have the facts?

Old 08-07-2007, 02:57 PM

45 posts, read 267,939 times
I don't live in Portland now, but did for most of my life. I now live on the coast about an hour from Portland, and we get into the city all the time.

I just know the climate there, and it's VERY accepting of people, no matter who they are. Portland is environmental-people recycle more than any other city. It's the dog-friendliest city in the country. Of course it's also very liberal. It probably has more book stores per capita than any other city. I know all these things seem separate from each other, but put them all together and it should give you a good indication about the people of an area.

I don't know how far you are from the area, but check out the Hawthorne Disctrict on the east side of town. It's a very eclectic place.

I wish I could tell you more, but you probably have a better idea of what you're looking for. Just know that I'm not trying to sell my own city- it really is an amazing place!

Old 08-07-2007, 03:00 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Wow...You have a way with words. I only know a few people who can paint a picture by the words they choose, good job. I never been to Salem but after reading your descriprition feel compelled to visit. There is a wide destinction between witches and wiccans, wiccans are more in to spirituality and the worship of the earth, witches are more in to tradition, magic and casting spells. "They're all rich" What do they do for a living? I imagine that Salem much like Boston is a very expensive city to live in and probably has a small population? I sorta figured on the fact that they don't look any different than the guy next door. Any indicators whatsoever that would tell you that they're a witch be it through their speech or appearance, anything?

Chautauqua County sounds like an enchanted community of its own. Is it only populated by Witches or do ordinary people live there as well. I'm curious as to how these people appear in public and how they earn their livelihood?
Thank you. Most kind.

I don't know if they're all rich, but the ones in Salem are. They work in upper management positions in various companies in Boston, are college professors, entrepreneurs, politicians, professionals: the whole spectrum of upper class employment. They're DAR/Mayflower old money families with houseloads of heirloom antiques, Oriental rugs, 10 drawers of sterling placesettings, and old portraits of great-great-great-great grandmother Eulalia and other scowling clan members. Nothing I saw would tell me there was anything unusual, but perhaps I just didn't know what to look for; no pointy hats, boiling cauldrons and black cats or silver pentagrams. I was told that some things were kept in the library. Trying to be polite and worried about making good impressions, I declined to snoop when I excused myself to the powder room.

Again, I've only met the one family and been to a few parties where they were kind enough to include me and their friends. Nobody seemed remotely bothered by the fact that I was told about this and I gather that's because my friend told me that he told them I was trustworthy. In that I have been, never telling anyone who the family is or the people I met there. My friend asked me not to say anything and I respect that. While I grilled him about this unique situation, I made a point not to pester his family or other people about it though they were all forthcoming without prodding. Perhaps I was being vetted? I don't know though I once did tell my friend I had an aunt who was hanged as witch (which is true) and his grandmother was very interested in my pedigree, however at the time I chalked that up to the notorious Boston society-page concern about such things. I didn't stay in Boston long enough to find out.

What I do know is that Salem isn't the only community. There are others, the largest still on the east coast, and most are in smaller wealthy suburbs of large cities or cities that used to be more important (like Hartford) than they are now. Unlike Salem, these towns don't necessarily have large communities of Wiccans living in them. I kick myself for not asking for specifics. At the time, such further prying seemed impolite and perhaps slightly unwise. I was young and a little intimidated after everything my friend told me. Everyone was so nice and polite that I didn't want to seem rude or naive either.

Chautauqua may be innundated with witches or not. I truly don't know. You'd have to ask someone else about that. I just know of Lily Dale through WitchVox and saw a segment about it on a TV show.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainebenes View Post
I don't live in Portland now, but did for most of my life. I now live on the coast about an hour from Portland, and we get into the city all the time.

I just know the climate there, and it's VERY accepting of people, no matter who they are. Portland is environmental-people recycle more than any other city. It's the dog-friendliest city in the country. Of course it's also very liberal. It probably has more book stores per capita than any other city. I know all these things seem separate from each other, but put them all together and it should give you a good indication about the people of an area.

I don't know how far you are from the area, but check out the Hawthorne Disctrict on the east side of town. It's a very eclectic place.

I wish I could tell you more, but you probably have a better idea of what you're looking for. Just know that I'm not trying to sell my own city- it really is an amazing place!

Thanks Elaine. Check your mail!

Old 08-07-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
Thank you. Most kind.

I don't know if they're all rich, but the ones in Salem are. They work in upper management positions in various companies in Boston, are college professors, entrepreneurs, politicians, professionals: the whole spectrum of upper class employment. They're DAR/Mayflower old money families with houseloads of heirloom antiques, Oriental rugs, 10 drawers of sterling placesettings, and old portraits of great-great-great-great grandmother Eulalia and other scowling clan members. Nothing I saw would tell me there was anything unusual, but perhaps I just didn't know what to look for; no pointy hats, boiling cauldrons and black cats or silver pentagrams. I was told that some things were kept in the library. Trying to be polite and worried about making good impressions, I declined to snoop when I excused myself to the powder room.

Again, I've only met the one family and been to a few parties where they were kind enough to include me and their friends. Nobody seemed remotely bothered by the fact that I was told about this and I gather that's because my friend told me that he told them I was trustworthy. In that I have been, never telling anyone who the family is or the people I met there. My friend asked me not to say anything and I respect that. While I grilled him about this unique situation, I made a point not to pester his family or other people about it though they were all forthcoming without prodding. Perhaps I was being vetted? I don't know though I once did tell my friend I had an aunt who was hanged as witch (which is true) and his grandmother was very interested in my pedigree, however at the time I chalked that up to the notorious Boston society-page concern about such things. I didn't stay in Boston long enough to find out.

What I do know is that Salem isn't the only community. There are others, the largest still on the east coast, and most are in smaller wealthy suburbs of large cities or cities that used to be more important (like Hartford) than they are now. Unlike Salem, these towns don't necessarily have large communities of Wiccans living in them. I kick myself for not asking for specifics. At the time, such further prying seemed impolite and perhaps slightly unwise. I was young and a little intimidated after everything my friend told me. Everyone was so nice and polite that I didn't want to seem rude or naive either.

Chautauqua may be innundated with witches or not. I truly don't know. You'd have to ask someone else about that. I just know of Lily Dale through WitchVox and saw a segment about it on a TV show.

That was a good read. I suggest you become a writer if you're not already one, you certainly have high potential as my standards for excellence are high. Very interesting. Most of these witches work in a senior management capacity and live in upscale suburbs in big cities? You know, for some reason that doesn't surprise me. I've always believed that nothing is what it seems and that everyone masks hidden lives. Are you still in touch with your friend? I respect people that stick to their word, it shows character. Maybe someday I'll meet, if in fact, I haven't met a few witches already. One thing is true that Witches are not violent and do not absolve themselves in evil. Personally, I find mainstream religion to be the most evil creation on earth, I doubt that this was Christ's intent but man has totally turned it in to a political tool to enslave/burn the masses.

I just realized something, witches are mainstream capitalists!...hahahahah
Can anyone doubt the fact that we live in a circus??

Old 08-07-2007, 04:26 PM

Well, many people seem to rate Portland as the most liberal city in the U.S.
I've heard even more liberal than Seattle, Berkley and Maddison.
It would be interesing to see if Portland has a strong Wiccan presence, afterall it's supposed to be the city of variety and tolerance.

I imagine Salem, MA is NOT Liberal or is it?

Wiccans are some of the nicest people out there. They fully embrace good will, character and the will to endure.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:02 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Really? Never would have thought Florida, especially since it's such a Red/Republican state.
Well,thats a misconception. We have everything here. We have sections of South Florida that are so liberal, municipalities have openly gay mayors, the majority of the state is what you would call "Swing" and then you have the panhandle. That particular county in Central FL happens to be moderate drifting on liberal as well.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Well,thats a misconception. We have everything here. We have sections of South Florida that are so liberal, municipalities have openly gay mayors, the majority of the state is what you would call "Swing" and then you have the panhandle. That particular county in Central FL happens to be moderate drifting on liberal as well.
Two words: "Key West"

A state as populous as Florida is bound to have a pretty broad range of folks doing their own thing, even if that thing is different than the prevailing winds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.