Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 09:24 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,866,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
I've heard of black people being scared to travel through Montana.
I've heard white people are scared to travel in certain areas of New Orleans or certain neighborhoods and areas in several states in the midwest and south and east. Too many states to list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 09:40 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,209,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I've heard white people are scared to travel in certain areas of New Orleans or certain neighborhoods and areas in several states in the midwest and south and east. Too many states to list.
The difference is, as white person, I have no reason go to the lower socio-economic/high crime neighborhoods. People of color would seem to have an impossible time avoiding neighborhoods that are predominantly white as that is where the banks, offices, grocery stores and other necessities are located, not to mention most of the nicer amenties in any given city (high-end restaurants, museums, theaters, etc.)

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 07-01-2011 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: correct typo

Old 07-02-2011, 09:30 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,404,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
And you obviously don't know Mississippi. Guess it works both ways.

No. It's CHALIE not CHARLIE...and don't forget it.
How come it is on all the lists for the poorest, most religiously nutty, racist,and least diverse states? All lies, I guess?

Old 07-02-2011, 11:40 AM

15,994 posts, read 20,980,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
How come it is on all the lists for the poorest, most religiously nutty, racist,and least diverse states? All lies, I guess?
Really, where do you get that info from?
For least Diverse try WV, VT, ND, NH,KY, IA, ME, WI, SD, OH, don't see MS on there at all. The Least Diverse States in America | Lifestyle | Mainstreet and 2010 US Census News & Data - USATODAY.com

I'd love to see your source for "most religiously nutty"

Old 07-02-2011, 11:47 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,750,497 times

YouTube - ‪Squeal Like a Pig‬‏

Old 07-02-2011, 02:26 PM

316 posts, read 557,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
I've heard of black people being scared to travel through Montana.
I don't think it's just black folks, I think that unfortunately there are places in this country that every ethnicity is scared to travel through. If I travel through Montana and stop at a town that has a predominately white population to grab something to eat then most likely I would get weird looks from some folks there because they probably aren't use to seeing a black person in their town or city. The black population in Montana is very low.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:12 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,705,578 times
Maryland is definitely a state outsiders think is scary because of its national reputation for crime. Baltimore and DC's hard-core reputations from the 70's through the early 2000's is what sticks in people's minds. Popular TV crime dramas like The Wire add to Baltimore's criminal mystique. DC has greatly gentrified in the last ten years and is no where near as bad as it used to be. Baltimore has also improved but still has a ways to go. Many people are also afraid of PG County which boasts above average crime/homicide rates in the blighted areas bordering Southeast and Northeast DC. Maryland also ranks in the top ten most dangerous states list every year. Maryland has the second highest homicide rate for any state.

Most dangerous states: Crime rankings for 2010

However, these scary statistics only speak for one side of Maryland. There is great variation in MD. Maryland is far from being a complete ghetto hell hole. As a matter if fact, Maryland is also the richest state in the country and DC currently has the highest median incomes for any big city in America. Many of the top ten richest counties in America are in Maryland in the Baltimore and DC suburbs.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/03/04/ame..._slide_17.html

California also has an out-of-control reputation for crime, gangs and unemployment. Every stereotype does contain an element of truth to it. California has one of the highest unemployment rates, many of the statistically most dangerous American cities are in CA, the entire state is broke and violent gangs of all nationalities are visible in most California cities. But I think it is strange that some of the most ghetto people from Baltimore City, who have never even seen California with their own eyes, are utterly convinced that places like Compton and Oakland somehow "more hood" and dangerous than ghetto places in Maryland. Most of this is because of extensive national media coverage of California-born gangs like the Bloods and Crips & MS-13 and classic movies chronicling California ghetto life including Boyz 'N The Hood and Menace II Society as well as seminal pop-culture and era defining California Gangsta Rap albums like Straight Outta Compton. Truth be told, a ghetto high crime area is a ghetto high crime area no matter where you go. The same problems exist in impoverished pockets all across the country. That being said, major metro areas are all more or less the same with a balance between upscale suburban areas, poorer secluded rural areas, rich areas in the cities and poor inner city communities. We all know that California has no shortage of rich people.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 07-02-2011 at 03:27 PM..

Old 07-02-2011, 03:38 PM

869 posts, read 1,562,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
According to the author of the book, that scene in Deliverance didn't happen in real life. In fact, most of that stuff didn't happen.

Appalachia already has a tarnished image. This just unjustly adds to it.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:40 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,149,024 times
If anyone travels thru the Bible Beslt, it's a good idea to remove all liberal message bumper stickers from the car. Don't ask for trouble, those hicks are religious and they got guns.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:43 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,750,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
According to the author of the book, that scene in Deliverance didn't happen in real life. In fact, most of that stuff didn't happen.

Appalachia already has a tarnished image. This just unjustly adds to it.

Actually I think that is very fair - I posted more in jest to what to me was some stupid posts but on further review see the humor was in poor taste on my end. I am deleting my post as I think it was in poor taste. If you do the same it will be removed from viewing in this thread.

Edit - unfortunately I am beyond the edit/delete time. If a mod can delete it would be much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.