Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:33 AM

3 posts, read 4,640 times

Advertisements

Lately my husband and I have been considering relocating from Fort Smith, AR. We are a young conservative Catholic family, and although the area we live in is relatively ideal (high morals, low cost of living, many young families.) we've started to feel the need to put some space between ourselves and his family.

As of right now we are not set on one specific region, although Northern Texas has appeal. My husband is an automotive mechanic and I am a stay-at-home mom with intentions of home schooling so we would be looking for a home school friendly state and decent employment prospects. I am working towards my RN so a location with a decent college is a must, HOWEVER we have no intention of me entering the work force any time soon so job demand in the health field isn't important.

We are fluent in French and German (Lived in Germany for 4 years) and have family stationed in Europe so we have considered making a big leap, but not sure.

Any suggestions on where a good place for us would be are greatly appreciated (we like areas with four seasons, but if we had to choose it would be somewhere colder rather hot)

Thank you and God Blesa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 05:43 AM

575 posts, read 1,371,058 times
Default first suggestion

Cincinnati, particularly the western half of Hamilton County. Large Catholic population of German, Irish or Italian descent.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
Cincinnati, particularly the western half of Hamilton County. Large Catholic population of German, Irish or Italian descent.
What is cost of living like? Obviously it will be much higher than we are accustomed too which is fine (we rent a large 3 bdr 2 ba home with large yard in a nice neighborhood for 725) however I'm curious as to how much so.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:05 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
City-Data indicates the Cincinnati area has a below average cost-of-living. Blue Ash is listed as the highest for Hamilton County, but they still place it as below average.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Blue-Ash-Ohio.html

Louisiana and Nebraska also have some fairly conservative Catholic areas. Although many of the conservative Catholic areas in Louisiana might be Cajun, which could be a bit different of a culture. Although maybe not, depends on what you've experienced.

Looking for other towns or cities that might fit as conservative, fairly Catholic, and not listed as above average for cost-of-living.

Bismarck, North Dakota - Might be too cold for you though. Still its economy is good, its county went for both Bush and McCain, and it's plurality Catholic.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Bismar...th-Dakota.html

Carmel, Indiana - A suburb of Indianapolis that's in a highly Republican and plurality Catholic county.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Carmel-Indiana.html

Rapid City, South Dakota - Looks fairly cheap and the county is 44% Catholic.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Rapid-...th-Dakota.html

Old 06-14-2011, 07:37 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Check out Cookeville, Tennessee. The American Chamber of Commerce has ranked both Cookeville and Fort Smith among the top 5 most affordable cities in the country. It's a university town with a brand new and rather large college of nursing, very conservative, located in a gorgeous area surrounded by waterfalls and lakes, and an hour from the Nashville airport. The public schools are excellent although there's also a large community of home schoolers. The local Catholic parish is very active and just built a large new sanctuary.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-14-2011, 07:58 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Spokane, WA-Coeur d'Alene, ID.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:17 AM

93,276 posts, read 123,898,066 times
What about Upstate NY? It has communities with a high Catholic population and that are close to Canada. So, you could put your French to good use. It's more moderate, with a mix of viewpoints. Cost of living is generally at or just below the national average in many parts. Perhaps communities like Watertown, Plattsburgh, Glens Falls or even smaller communities like Tupper Lake, Saranac Lake, Malone, Ticonderoga and some others.

Automotive Jobs

Automotive Technician - Carthage, NY - Indeed Mobile

Automotive Technician / Automotive Mechanic / Mid Level Tech - Watertown, NY - Indeed Mobile

Automotive Technician jobs in Watertown, NY - Indeed Mobile

Diocese of Ogdensburg

Homeschooling in New York

You can find plenty of Catholic churches throughout Upstate NY as well.

Syracuse Diocese

Home - Diocese of Rochester

Catholic Diocese of Buffalo > Home

Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany

Central New York Jobs

Old 06-14-2011, 08:17 AM

Louisiana and Tennessee are both on the bottom of my list, although I dont't mind Tennessee as much as LA.

I have heard wonders about Bismark, and will certainly add Nebraska and Indiana to our list. I grew up an Army brat so I'm use to the excessive moving, however this is the first time I have
gotten to sit down and litteraly choose anywhere to go. I have to admit, it's a bit overwhelming!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:21 AM

93,276 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Another thing to add is that the Watertown area has a strong Army presence due to Ft. Drum being there.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:39 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
What about Oklahoma City? It's a conservative city, with a low cost of living and lots of things for a young family to do.

I personally don't know anything about how home-schooling works, but the state must be pretty friendly to it, because I've never lived anywhere that people home-schooled as much as they do here. I have 3 neighbors that I know of just on my block that home-school. This is not because of bad school districts, in fact the one I live in is considered to be one of the best districts in the state. I think it's really based more on the fact that they want to be able to incorporate their Christian faith into their kids education. There are however, lots of good private school here as well.

There are great hospitals here including the OU Medical Center. The weather is going to be about like Fort Smith. If you've never really been here, or only driven through on I-40, you might want to check out the northeastern side of the area near Edmond and Guthrie, where it's more hilly, green and wooded. However, if you are looking for more distance from family, it's not but 3 hours or so from Ft Smith, so depending on your family, it might not be far enough. Or if you're lucky and have family like much of ours, a three hour drive is about like a 3 day drive. Too far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.