Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 03:41 AM

2 posts, read 4,055 times

Advertisements

Hello, all!

I'm in my early twenties, and seeking a change in my life. I have few ties, and decent savings, so moving pretty much anywhere is an option. I'm a recent college grad and currently working in retail, but looking to get into the non-profit sector. I'm from Texas, but would love to move to someplace more liberal, with a warm climate and a great culture, with lots of stuff going on. Places I'm considering:

L.A.- Perfect climate, love the beaches and abundance of culture and variety. Worried I might find it too "plastic" and into celebrity culture. I'm very down to earth and not into partying or anything too superficial.

San Francisco- I love how progressive it is. Worried about it being too cold (Are there warmer parts you recommend?) Not sure about the cost- I'll likely be in an entry level type position, can I afford it? I'm fine with a small studio apartment and living frugally, but I don't want to stress over bills.

Somewhere else in California?

Portland/Seattle- I've been to both and love the "hippie"ish vibe. Worried I will find the cold unpleasant, but I'm sure I can overcome one con, with the multitude of pros that these cities offer. However, wondering if somewhere in California might strike the perfect balance between culture and climate.

Any other suggestions that you think would fit the bill? I am very frustrated with my current situation and desperately want to make a change, but I want to make the right choice.
Thanks so much for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 03:56 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Check out Sacramento.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:04 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
If you're serious about getting started in the non-profit sector and are willing to overlook rainy/chilly weather in Portland, San Francisco or Seattle you might want to consider Washington, DC. It's the epicenter of non-profit organizations in the country and would offer some excellent opportunity to someone starting out in the field. The DC area has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country (around 5.5%) so there are actually jobs to be had. It's an expensive place for housing but jobs typically compensate in terms of salary and many budget-friendly shares are always available.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 AM

109 posts, read 469,653 times
I have to second DC, and the city proper is very liberal. Tons to do, and plenty of 20 somethings who are doing non-profit and entry level work.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:49 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Washington, DC is one of the most liberal (in terms of voting) cities in America. Not just the city, but almost the whole DC metro area, including the Maryland suburbs and northern Virginia, is blue politically.

The weather is not moderate, however. You will experience heat and humidity in the summer, and cold and snow/sleet/freezing rain in the winter.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-16-2011 at 10:30 AM..

Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Umm..., San Diego. Just check out the images thread, not many places nicer than here. Moderate climate- we got that! Liberal, vibrant and large enough for most.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:11 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
East bay. Oakland etc.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:38 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_anachronism View Post
Hello, all!

I'm in my early twenties, and seeking a change in my life. I have few ties, and decent savings, so moving pretty much anywhere is an option. I'm a recent college grad and currently working in retail, but looking to get into the non-profit sector. I'm from Texas, but would love to move to someplace more liberal, with a warm climate and a great culture, with lots of stuff going on. Places I'm considering:

L.A.- Perfect climate, love the beaches and abundance of culture and variety. Worried I might find it too "plastic" and into celebrity culture. I'm very down to earth and not into partying or anything too superficial.

San Francisco- I love how progressive it is. Worried about it being too cold (Are there warmer parts you recommend?) Not sure about the cost- I'll likely be in an entry level type position, can I afford it? I'm fine with a small studio apartment and living frugally, but I don't want to stress over bills.

Somewhere else in California?

Portland/Seattle- I've been to both and love the "hippie"ish vibe. Worried I will find the cold unpleasant, but I'm sure I can overcome one con, with the multitude of pros that these cities offer. However, wondering if somewhere in California might strike the perfect balance between culture and climate.

Any other suggestions that you think would fit the bill? I am very frustrated with my current situation and desperately want to make a change, but I want to make the right choice.
Thanks so much for reading.
I lived and worked in LA (also in the nonprofit sector), and did not find it "plastic" in the least. I'm sure some industries or jobs or circles of friends are "plastic," but that was not the world I experienced. I was surprised at how much I loved LA. It literally has something for everyone, and is extremely diverse in every sense of the word.

Also lived in San Francisco. Loved it, but it was cold and I missed the sun. It is also very expensive. I didn't feel like it was more progressive than LA. We lived in the city itself; I second the suggestion to perhaps check out the East Bay.

Never lived in Sacramento and didn't love it when I visited, but it's a pleasant city, relatively affordable, and is a great place for those looking for nonprofit work. It's worth a look. Maybe Santa Cruz, too.

Since others have suggested DC: lived there, too, and while I did love it (and would consider moving back), I don't think of it as a particularly progressive/liberal place. Politically blue, yes, but with a very different vibe than what you find (or what I found, anyway) in LA or SF. That said, it's a GREAT city for those working in the nonprofit world, has a ton of cultural opportunities (including lots of FREE museums and events hosted by embassies, etc.), and is full of interesting people doing interesting things. Humid in the summer, but the spring is perfect.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,055 times
Cool; thank you guys for the feedback. DC sounds like an awesome city, though I don't find myself as drawn to it as I do to places on the west coast. This could be because I've never traveled there, while I've been to and really enjoyed L.A., Seattle, and Portland.

uptown_urbanist: i just visited l.a. and really liked it, i was surprised at the lack of superficiality I found there versus what my expectations were. definitely an awesome place, which i'm sure i'd love (especially compared to where i am currently). I guess I can't go wrong with any of these cities. They all are pretty great, though not without their cons. I suppose I'll just have to take a chance and try somewhere.

Thanks everyone for the D.C. info, as well as the other suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.