U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 11:14 AM

38,753 posts, read 38,334,632 times

Advertisements

There is a difference between accepting traditional names that have been there for centuries, and coining new ones.

Many cities and other places retained the names of church parishes that predated the city, with many notable examples in Louisiana and California. Most of those were named prior to the place becoming US territory and therefore subject to American constitutional questions of church and state. Because of that, they can't be held out as precedents to keep on naming places after supposed contemporaneous miracles or presumptions of ascendance to God-given rewards.

Saint were real people, sometimes even virtuous ones, and it is not objectionable to name places after them.
Naming places Eden or Paradise are simply making use of fabulous namesakes, just as naming planets Jupiter or Saturn do not reflect a presumption that Jupiter and Saturn are actual deities that must be assuaged by earthlings to retain their favor. But is is a long stretch from there to naming a street as if a Christian god had actually done something specific and conspicuous as reflected by the name.

However, the alternative is to name a street after a slumlord or other racketeer who enriched themselves at the expense of the citizenry and had plenty of influential sycophants, so I suppose Seven in Heaven is no worse than the other people streets are named after.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-24-2011 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 6,700 times
First of all, the U.S. is a Christian majority country. 76-86% of the U.S. are Christians, with 2% Jewish and 1% Muslims. We do have many atheist too, but it's not that big population to compare with lets say many European countries.

The U.S. was settled by the Christians from the beginning, and so far we had NO non-Christian presidents. Yes, some of the founding fathers were deist, but they had some Christianity faith in their family.
The U.S. is also one of the most religious nations, with God being very important. Pledge alligance etc.

IN GOD WE TRUST is our motto and on U.S. currency. Christmas Day is a federal holiday and Good Friday is a holiday in 11 states. Many cities were settled by early Christians, so that's why they are named after Christian names. BTW many European cities have the same, as well as if you go to Canada, particularly Montreal where most street names begin with "St." Canada is no more religious than the U.S.

Yes, there is seperation of church and state - but the majority of people are Christians and believe in God. Sorry, but if you don't accept it, then you should consider moving to a less religious nation, there are plenty of them out there.

Atheist have always something to complain about. Keep your opinion to yourself and let everybody believe to whatever they believe in. We don't complain about atheist, and you don't complain about us. We could also complain why all cities and street names are not Christians, Jewish or Muslim or whatever.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elinore View Post

Yes, there is seperation of church and state - but the majority of people are Christians and believe in God. Sorry, but if you don't accept it, then you should consider moving to a less religious nation, there are plenty of them out there.
Yes, indeed there is separation of church and state. If you don't accept it, then you should consider moving to a nation that has no such constitutional provision. There are plenty of them.

Like Iran, for example, where a majority of the people also believe in God. What is the main difference between the USA and Iran? We have constitution that prevents a religious majority from ordering everybody to recognize the supremacy of the majority faith and the existence of God.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-24-2011 at 12:14 PM..

Old 06-26-2011, 05:09 AM

2,502 posts, read 5,852,845 times
I could understand the protests if the street name was something overtly religious with actual religious intent (such as Christ The King Drive or God's Grace Avenue).

Seven in Heaven, to me, does not seem particularly religious. The intent is clearly to honor the fallen, not to promote religion. There is no religious agenda here, as far as I can tell. I don't think it's that big of a deal, and it seems like a really petty thing to get upset over.

Anyway, religious town names...
-Smyrna (a biblical town name used in 9 states)
-Moab, UT
-Hebron, CT
-Jericho, NY

Old 06-26-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post

Anyway, religious town names...
-Smyrna (a biblical town name used in 9 states)
-Moab, UT
-Hebron, CT
-Jericho, NY
And Mecca CA and Medina TX and Arab AL. Nobody but a nut case thinks those are pushing Islam down our throats. Those are actual historical towns, which just happened to be mentioned in the Bible because their existence was known to the authors of the scriptures. Bethlehem was a real place, and still is, and to acknowledge is does not offer an opinion as to whether Jesus ever existed or not. The present-day Smyrna has a larger metro population than San Francisco-Oakland, and has almost no Christians at all. (It's in Turkey.)

However, Heaven is not a known historical place, nor even a known part of the physical universe, and to acknowledge its existence implies the truth of the Christian faith. There are plenty of ways to honor the fallen, without requiring the citizenry to reference the authority of the Holy Bible and the certainty that God chose the seven for eternal reward. One of them might have been an unsuspected felon of a heinous crime, for all we know, burning in hell at this very moment as his just desserts. Even Christians could object to the citizens presuming they have the power to decide who goes to heaven.

If you want to name a street Heaven street or Easter Bunny Street or Wizard of Oz Street, that's fine. But don't use street-naming to impose your faith on the rest of us by couching it as an assertion of fact, or piggy-backing it onto a historical fact.

I don't really care, personally, one way of the other. But I can see why some people would be offended. You need to recognize the difference between retaining the historical names of San Francisco and Los Angeles, in spite of their original religious connotations, and naming a new place today Muslimkillers, Florida.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-26-2011 at 08:41 AM..

Old 06-26-2011, 02:57 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,940,413 times
St. Augustine, FL
St. Cloud, FL and MN
Canaan, CT and WV
Damascus, VA and MD
St. Paul, MN
St. Johns River, FL
St. John River, ME
St. Mary's County, MD
St. Mary's City and River, MD
Bethlehem, PA
Nazareth, PA
St. David's, PA
Santa Barbara, Santa Ana, Santa Cruz, Santa Catalina, Santa Monica, San Bernardino, San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria, Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Jose, San Diego, San Anselmo, San Isidro, CA
San Antonio, San Marcos, San Angelo, TX

Old 06-30-2011, 12:20 AM

69,637 posts, read 59,609,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
A bunch of atheists here in NYC have protested the naming of a Brooklyn Street "Seven In Heaven" in memory of seven local firefighters who died on 9/11. Their objection is that Heaven is a Christian religious term that should have no place in the public domain. I think their protests are churlish and stupid. But it got me thinking about how many other places in the U.S. have overt or semi-overt religious names. The ones that come right to mind

Sangre De Cristo mountains -- (Blood of Christ)
San Francisco -- (St. Francis)
St. Paul (Minn.)
Bethlehem (Penn.)
St. Charles (M0.)
San Jose (Cal.) -- (St. Joseph)
San Juan (P.R.) -- (St. John)
Sata Fe (N.M) -- (Holy Faith)

And the entire state of Louisiana -- where every county is a Parrish, for godsake! Among them: Assumption, Ascension, St. Charles, St. Bernard, and St. John the Baptist

If these protestors were right we'd have to rename half the USA! Any others come to mind ? And anyone know of any that are NOT Christian based, but come from Jewish, Muslim, Native American, or other non-Christian faith traditions? Just wondering.
Nazareth, PA
Rehoboth (Beach), Delaware
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rehoboth_(Bible)
Mahomet (Mohammed), IL
St. Joseph, IL (Supposedly named by Abraham Lincoln)
St. Mary's, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I thought as much. Even the really militant atheists I've seen don't want to pretend history was something else. However if we go on that too much we might get this moved. So continuing on with places with religious names...

One I was wondering is are there any with religious names not taken from Christianity? It occurred to me that maybe Mecca and Medina would fit.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Mecca-California.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Medina-Ohio.html
Medina, Ohio - Ohio History Central - A product of the Ohio Historical Society

Granted their cities too, but their renown comes from religion.

The Greek and Roman Gods have a few cities named for them.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Apollo-Pennsylvania.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Jupiter-Florida.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Athena-Oregon.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Minerva-Ohio.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Ceres-California.html

Norse mythology also has some towns.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Thor-Iowa.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Odin-Illinois.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Valhalla-New-York.html

Although that's likely more historical than religious.

I believe Manitou is a figure in some American Indian mythology, looks to be Algonquin peoples, and there's a Manitou, Oklahoma.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Manitou-Oklahoma.html
Manitou Springs, CO.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:05 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,940,413 times
[
The U.S. was settled by the Christians from the beginning, and so far we had NO non-Christian presidents.

Abraham Lincoln never joined a church, and said "the Bible is not my book." Dwight Eisenhower was birst baptised at the age of 63 after he was elected President.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:44 PM

7,511 posts, read 8,081,954 times
Maryland
St. Joseph, MN
St. Francis, MN
St. Bonifacius, MN
St. Croix River (MN/WI)
Maryville, MO
Liguori, MO (named after St. Alphonsus of Liguori, patron saint of the science of moral theology - the Redemptorists are set up there)

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
A bunch of atheists here in NYC have protested the naming of a Brooklyn Street "Seven In Heaven" in memory of seven local firefighters who died on 9/11. Their objection is that Heaven is a Christian religious term that should have no place in the public domain. I think their protests are churlish and stupid. But it got me thinking about how many other places in the U.S. have overt or semi-overt religious names. The ones that come right to mind

Sangre De Cristo mountains -- (Blood of Christ)
San Francisco -- (St. Francis)
St. Paul (Minn.)
Bethlehem (Penn.)
St. Charles (M0.)
San Jose (Cal.) -- (St. Joseph)
San Juan (P.R.) -- (St. John)
Sata Fe (N.M) -- (Holy Faith)

And the entire state of Louisiana -- where every county is a Parrish, for godsake! Among them: Assumption, Ascension, St. Charles, St. Bernard, and St. John the Baptist

If these protestors were right we'd have to rename half the USA! Any others come to mind ? And anyone know of any that are NOT Christian based, but come from Jewish, Muslim, Native American, or other non-Christian faith traditions? Just wondering.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:52 AM

61 posts, read 82,481 times
corpus christi, TX
gosh there sure seems to be a lot of haters here D:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.