U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 02:14 PM

3,853 posts, read 5,260,893 times

Advertisements

A bunch of atheists here in NYC have protested the naming of a Brooklyn Street "Seven In Heaven" in memory of seven local firefighters who died on 9/11. Their objection is that Heaven is a Christian religious term that should have no place in the public domain. I think their protests are churlish and stupid. But it got me thinking about how many other places in the U.S. have overt or semi-overt religious names. The ones that come right to mind

Sangre De Cristo mountains -- (Blood of Christ)
San Francisco -- (St. Francis)
St. Paul (Minn.)
Bethlehem (Penn.)
St. Charles (M0.)
San Jose (Cal.) -- (St. Joseph)
San Juan (P.R.) -- (St. John)
Sata Fe (N.M) -- (Holy Faith)

And the entire state of Louisiana -- where every county is a Parrish, for godsake! Among them: Assumption, Ascension, St. Charles, St. Bernard, and St. John the Baptist

If these protestors were right we'd have to rename half the USA! Any others come to mind ? And anyone know of any that are NOT Christian based, but come from Jewish, Muslim, Native American, or other non-Christian faith traditions? Just wondering.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 04:07 PM

13,856 posts, read 20,965,211 times
I get in big time arguments on the Religion board with atheists, but I don't think most atheists are really obsessed with this kind of nonsense. They just want the same trust and acceptance people of other beliefs or disbeliefs get. Although admittedly a higher percentage of them than I liked to believe also want people to abandon religion if at all possible.

As for religious place names I imagine there's too many to count, particularly in California and the Southwest. One of the most specific coming to mind is "Corpus Christi" which means "Body of Christ."

Old 06-21-2011, 04:16 PM

31,023 posts, read 49,772,921 times
My favorite is Bountiful, Utah.

Bountiful is a place from the Book of Mormon.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 PM

9,973 posts, read 13,022,362 times
Basically the five major cities of California Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Jose, San Diego, and Sacremento are all religious place names. Along with a ton of San and Santa place names in California, there's also literally thousands of biblical place names in the USA. I grew up near a Mt. Hermon, and now I live near Mt. Tabor, both of which are places famous from association with the bible.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:39 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,826,352 times
It seems like the majority of Spanish names will be religious, mostly named after saints. Many French-named cities as well.

In New England there are some religiously named towns, although most are named after towns in England.

Here are a few places founded by Puritans with religious names:

Concord, MA
Providence, RI
Salem, MA (from Shalom, the Hebrew word for peace)
Newark, NJ (from New Ark of the Covenant)

Old 06-21-2011, 06:44 PM

5,782 posts, read 9,967,997 times
Jericho, Babylon, Mount Sinai New York (and a lot more)

Old 06-21-2011, 07:51 PM

432 posts, read 722,551 times
Yeah Don't forget San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco etc...

Old 06-21-2011, 07:55 PM

3,119 posts, read 3,611,852 times
Eden, Arizona
Shiloh, Tennessee
Philidelphia, Pennsylvania
Philidelphia, Mississippi
^^^Okay, I'll admit they're named after PLACES in the Bible, but still.

St. Johns, Arizona
St. David, Arizona

Old 06-21-2011, 08:20 PM

2,639 posts, read 6,047,731 times
Zion, Utah

Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 PM

3,770 posts, read 3,136,387 times
I'm from eastern Missouri, and we have a lot of "saints" here.
I live in St. Louis city. But I was raised in St. John, which is near St. Ann, in neighboring St. Louis County. In south St. Louis County is the village of St. George. Bordering St. Louis County is St. Charles County, which is the location of the cities of St. Charles, St. Peters, and St. Paul. Southwest of Greater St. Louis is St. Francois County. And let's not forget the town of Ste. Genevieve, which is just south of the St Louis metro area-- in Ste. Genevieve County, of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.