Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:41 PM

22 posts, read 56,151 times

Advertisements

Where: We are inviting every vehicle driver in America to The first annual American Gas Party, (Similar to the Boston tea party but we need to protest the high price of gas and address global warming)
When: This years event will be held on the Labor Day Holladay 2007,
What: We are asking that every driver reduce there speed to 10 miles per hour under the speed limit , it will only cost everyone 10 minuets in arrival time per hour of drive time but it will save gas and reduce our carbon foot print, and when
America unites under this cause it will send a message to the oil companies (who except us to drive like the price of gas doesn’t matter),
To all oil companies: if supply and demand dictates the price of gas, we are lowering demand now we are demanding lower prices,

Visit our web site Page 1 for more detail,

I expect the price of gas to go down when the oil companies hear about this, like the gas prices did when the oil companies wanted the Republicans to win the last presidential election. don’t let up (do let up on the gas pedal)

On a recent Memorial Day trip to Yellowstone Park we got to thinking that everyone complains about the price of gas but doesn’t do any thing about it. So I slowed down to 5 miles per hour under the speed limit in some cases (across Nevada) it was 20 mph under the speed limit. We did this, and saved $90.00, went further between gas stops, and actually made the trip more enjoyable. Then I decided that if I (one who drives 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit) could this it wouldn’t it be great if every one did. It would sure send a message to the oil companies and help bring down the price of Gas. Stop and smell the flowers or Slow down and enjoyed the scenery. The passengers also enjoyed the trip more. The only thing that I would change is to have a sign on my car telling everyone what I was doing. I have a feeling that if people knew what I was doing they would jump on the band wagon.

Do you think that the idea above has merit? Can you help me get the word out?

usgasprotester
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 09:20 AM

147 posts, read 690,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usgasprotester View Post
Where: We are inviting every vehicle driver in America to The first annual American Gas Party, (Similar to the Boston tea party but we need to protest the high price of gas and address global warming)
When: This years event will be held on the Labor Day Holladay 2007,
What: We are asking that every driver reduce there speed to 10 miles per hour under the speed limit , it will only cost everyone 10 minuets in arrival time per hour of drive time but it will save gas and reduce our carbon foot print, and when
America unites under this cause it will send a message to the oil companies (who except us to drive like the price of gas doesn’t matter),
To all oil companies: if supply and demand dictates the price of gas, we are lowering demand now we are demanding lower prices,

Visit our web site Page 1 for more detail,

I expect the price of gas to go down when the oil companies hear about this, like the gas prices did when the oil companies wanted the Republicans to win the last presidential election. don’t let up (do let up on the gas pedal)

On a recent Memorial Day trip to Yellowstone Park we got to thinking that everyone complains about the price of gas but doesn’t do any thing about it. So I slowed down to 5 miles per hour under the speed limit in some cases (across Nevada) it was 20 mph under the speed limit. We did this, and saved $90.00, went further between gas stops, and actually made the trip more enjoyable. Then I decided that if I (one who drives 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit) could this it wouldn’t it be great if every one did. It would sure send a message to the oil companies and help bring down the price of Gas. Stop and smell the flowers or Slow down and enjoyed the scenery. The passengers also enjoyed the trip more. The only thing that I would change is to have a sign on my car telling everyone what I was doing. I have a feeling that if people knew what I was doing they would jump on the band wagon.

Do you think that the idea above has merit? Can you help me get the word out?

usgasprotester

i don't see why people are freaking about gas prices
U.S gas prices aern't nearly as bad as other places in the world such as France,Uk, etc.
if you want change you need to make a change by switching to public transp, eletric, hybrid cars

Old 08-10-2007, 10:59 AM

286 posts, read 1,587,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyt937 View Post
U.S gas prices aern't nearly as bad as other places in the world such as France,Uk, etc.
if you want change you need to make a change by switching to public transp, eletric, hybrid cars
Mind informing those of us that don't see how that can work for our personal situations how it can work?

Public transit is NOT available for EVERYONE. My husband is currently commuting 30 miles for work, and I will be commuting 35. We live in an area that we can feasibly afford, have hopes to move closer to where we're working, but as of today (day 5 in the great housing search), we have not found a suitable place to rent that meets our needs within a shorter distance OR within the public transit system.

We're NOT in a financial position to swing the purchase of a hybrid. There are many more like us that cannot swing this kind of expense at this time - and you cannot hold the younger, service sector, not-rich-by-ANY-imagination folks subject to this kind of statement.... We're at the mercy of the oil corps for the cost of fuel for the vehicles we can afford, or we're at the mercy of the auto makers that throw high dollar purchase prices on the more efficient technology.

And again... as I have posted on other areas of the forum for this same discussion...... You cannot hold us to the "we don't have it so bad, Europe pays more" argument..... EUROPE HAS A EXCEPTIONAL PUBLIC TRANSIT SYSTEM AVAILABLE THROUGHOUT THE DIFFERENT COUNTRIES AND ACCESSIBLE TO MORE RURAL AREAS. The US does NOT! They have a choice on how to get where they need to be, MOST OF US DO NOT.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:12 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I'm thinking a large group of people would have to sustain this behavior for more than one weekend to make an impact. Prices aren't going to drop because demand falls for one weekend only.

Just my opinion ...

Old 08-10-2007, 11:24 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
Move closer to your job. The closer you live the less gas you pay.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:23 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm thinking a large group of people would have to sustain this behavior for more than one weekend to make an impact. Prices aren't going to drop because demand falls for one weekend only.

Just my opinion ...

you are right. this pops up every couple of months - check snopes.com . it's ineffective. a day or weekend isn't going to make a difference, it'll just delay the filling for a day or two. you need sustained change - more fuel efficient cars, better mass transit, smart driving.

nice idea, but won't work.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:43 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
I've seen tons of these protests and they just don't work. You have good intentions but it's ineffective.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:04 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Earlier this summer, when prices climbed, the oil company's actually said, "The reason for the increase is because the demand is not there." What's that tell you?

I have a friend that drives a double tanker and delivers gas here in town. Won't say who he is, and I won't say who he delivers to. But he goes up to Montana to the refinery and loads up. Then comes back and delivers to 4 different stations. All competitors with each other. My point is, you can't even boycott one station by going to another. Same refinery, same oil exect's got paid.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyt937 View Post
Oil companies will rise prices until people complain, then they will back off a little but never back to the original p[rice We have to start some where, not buying gas on a curtain day(may 15th ) flopped people just bought gas the next day. when people reduce their consumption on a weekend the oil companies expect unbridled consumption it will send a message, next year we will hold the 2nd annual gas party on memorial day week end with practice days leading up to the event, one grain of sand is an irritant, a million is a beach Join the group

Old 08-25-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
you are right. this pops up every couple of months - check snopes.com . it's ineffective. a day or weekend isn't going to make a difference, it'll just delay the filling for a day or two. you need sustained change - more fuel efficient cars, better mass transit, smart driving.

nice idea, but won't work.
You did not understand, we will reduce consumption on a week end the oil companies expect a big pay check, not delay buying gas on one day. This mite start off small but if every one emails every one to get the word out it will get big by the 2nd annual Gas Party on memorial day weekend. quit saying it wont work lets ajust it till it does work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.