U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:22 PM

833 posts, read 4,455,315 times

Advertisements

How does your town or neighborhood celebrate Halloween? Besides the usual trick or treating, of course. Any special regional festivities in your neck of the woods? Halloween is my favorite holiday and I'm always eager to find out what other towns do in the way of festivities/celebrations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 09:04 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,400,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
How does your town or neighborhood celebrate Halloween? Besides the usual trick or treating, of course. Any special regional festivities in your neck of the woods? Halloween is my favorite holiday and I'm always eager to find out what other towns do in the way of festivities/celebrations.
Ive lived in several towns that had festivities, which was nice for my son. There was a pumpkin farm up the road from us called Sonny Acres, wonderful place. They had a bajillion pumpkins for sale, face-painting/games/not-so-scary rides for kids, etc. For the adults they had haunted barns, an awesome costume shop, a boutique store full of their products (ie apple cider, gourds, jams), rock climbing wall. Then at night they had the haunted hayride, which was surprisingly cool. Theyd drag out their old 1950's-era John Deere tractors, then hitch up some old trailers and line em with hay bales to sit on. Then theyd disembark on the ride through the woods, which was really cool.

Here is the link if youre interested... you can view pictures on their picture gallery to get some visuals.
Sonny Acres (http://www.sonnyacres.com/gallery5.htm - broken link)

Old 08-09-2007, 09:28 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,720,995 times
Sleepy Hollow, NY has a festival I think. There's a lot of Halloween parties there, I do know that.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Sleepy Hollow, NY has a festival I think. There's a lot of Halloween parties there, I do know that.
Thats too cool, exactly the sort of place Id love to go to witness some festivities.

That movie gets played all the time when Halloween rolls around. LOVE that movie.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:38 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,720,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thats too cool, exactly the sort of place Id love to go to witness some festivities.

That movie gets played all the time when Halloween rolls around. LOVE that movie.
Yeah, I love going there. On Halloween, there's a guy who rides around on a horse in a headless horseman costume.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Yeah, I love going there. On Halloween, there's a guy who rides around on a horse in a headless horseman costume.
Frickin sweet. They have a guy that does that at Sonny Acres (link above), but its more of a ghoul costume than the headless horseman. It is headless though...

Old 08-09-2007, 10:29 AM

325 posts, read 1,422,528 times
Anoka, MN acclaimed Halloween capitol of the world:

Anoka Halloween Home

Old 08-09-2007, 01:31 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,207,148 times
There's alot in PA,which is heavily occultic anyway. They even have pagan rituals here!

Old 08-09-2007, 04:47 PM

833 posts, read 4,455,315 times
Default thanks

awesome, guys. Thanks for the information.
When I was growing up in MI, a neighborhood family used to rent a hearse, dress up as vampires, and tool around the neighborhood passing out candy. As a young girl, I thought that was too cool.
In Kalamazoo, we had "Gene the Pumpkin Man" where we bought our pumpkins from the farm. But they had no haunted house, headless 'ghouls', or fun, scary stuff like that.
In VA, I've asked a local farm if they allow people to go into the farm to pick out their own pumpkin (instead of picking it from a pile up front). They said because of liability issues, they don't allow this because black widow spiders hang out on the stems of pumpkings while they grow. I had never heard of that before. We have other neat happenings in VA...haunted corn mazes, haunted houses, neighbors who set up elaborate sets in their driveways for trick or treaters.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:39 PM

1,816 posts, read 5,184,453 times
If you are a college aged person....Madison WI. Many travel from other states just to go. It's wild if you cannot handle wild. Don't send the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or