Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 08:37 PM

14 posts, read 18,595 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the upper midwest for several years and want to move to a new city, but I'm not sure where would be the best fit. I love cool/cold weather (especially snow) and outdoors activities (and greenery in general), so I'm looking at somewhere up north, like the Boston area or Seattle. And as a straight single gal in my late 20s, I want to move someplace with with a good dating scene (with normal guys... not a fan of hipsters... not sure if that's a PNW stereotype or typical there?). Does anyone have any suggestions?

For the east coast, my biggest concerns are the high cost of living (I have a bachelor's in biology but can't use it for at least a year or so, so I wouldn't be making a lot) and the gender ratio there. Is it hard for women to get dates around Boston? And how do people with non-lucrative jobs get by there, with the rent as high as it is? On the other hand, I've heard about the Ice-Nice stereotype and liberal culture of the people in the Seattle area. I'm left of center politically, but not extremely liberal and definitely not outspoken about it. And I like people but am also shy and rather awkward- do you think that would make me fit in better there or I would have a hard time making friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 04:36 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
You can't use your degree for a year or so? What?!

Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Coming from the midsection of the country I guess the tendency would be to go to either coast but your criteria screams Denver. The men are "normal" and you won't find the hipster influence like Seattle or to a lesser extent in Boston. The cost of living in Denver is much lower than either also. Lastly the male to female ratio in Denver is around 3 to 1.
Menver Hunting Grounds: a Guide for Women | Denver off the Wagon

Old 10-22-2012, 09:01 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Places like Omaha and Salt Lake City may work too. Here are some maps that you may be interested in: http://bostinno.com/2012/03/06/us-ma...women-are-map/

Corrected Singles Map Means Ladies Get to Have Standards Again

Sleepers that may work according to the first map may be Rochester, Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown and Glens Falls in NY, Manchester NH and Worcester MA.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-22-2012 at 09:13 AM..

Old 10-22-2012, 10:35 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
What about Duluth? Duluth is Seattle with a lower cost of living, and more fun outdoor things to do. Or Minneapolis/St. Paul if you want a huge city.

I'm also wondering why you can't use your biology degree for a year.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:06 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
Maybe pittsburgh (It ain't your grandpa's pittsburgh)
or somewhere in Michigan. MPLS/stp also come to mind. Greener than you might think and plenty of cold and snow for ya

Seattle doesn't really get any snow and it's not cold. Cool but not cold.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:43 PM

14 posts, read 18,595 times
Thanks for the input guys. I can't use my degree since I've been dealing with a major illness and haven't been able to work a normal full-time schedule for a while, and I want to be cautious getting back into it (not immediately after dealing with a big move). And even then, even if I could get a job in my field after being out for a couple years, that type of work doesn't pay a whole lot, so I still would need to figure out how lower-income people manage in higher-cost-of-living areas.

I was trying to be positive before, but it's not just that I love cold, but also I can't handle much heat (Madison gets hot enough as it is), and love greenery and forests to the point I don't think I could be happy anywhere without it (definitely nothing brown and desert-like). So would that rule out Omaha and SLC? Maybe Denver (though I'll check that out).

What about things to do for 20-somethings in those cities, like sports and nightlife? I was aiming for a bigger city and would like to leave the midwest. Regarding Duluth, I thought it was sort of an "older-person" town, where families settle down rather than where young single people go?

What what are the people like in those cities? Since I'm already shy I'm hoping to move someplace where people are more outgoing, and easier to make friends with.

The corrected singles map was interesting (and a lot more positive ), though I'm curious where the numbers came from.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:44 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherenext2 View Post
love greenery and forests to the point I don't think I could be happy anywhere without it (definitely nothing brown and desert-like). So would that rule out Omaha and SLC? Maybe Denver (though I'll check that out).

What about things to do for 20-somethings in those cities, like sports and nightlife? I was aiming for a bigger city and would like to leave the midwest.

What what are the people like in those cities? Since I'm already shy I'm hoping to move someplace where people are more outgoing, and easier to make friends with.

The corrected singles map was interesting (and a lot more positive ), though I'm curious where the numbers came from.
Denver is a "bigger city", plus very green and forested.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...-20skyline.jpg

Denver is one of a handful of "four sports team" cities, with representation in the NFL (Denver Broncos), NBA (Denver Nuggets), MLB (Colorado Rockies) and NHL (Colorado Avalanche) plus Major League Soccer (Colorado Rapids) and Major League Lacrosse (Denver Outlaws).

Denver is very much an outdoor city with lots of runners, bikers, climbers and mass participation in sports leagues. It's also a friendly and welcoming place with little of the pretension found in other cities.

Social & Sports Club - Denver
Sports Monster - Denver
Denver CityWide Sports Programs
Denver Sport and Social Club - Recreational Sports League in Denver, CO

In terms of nightlife there's quite a bit to do, with some fun entertainment districts to choose from..

LoDo, Denver - NabeWise, neighborhoods revealed
Central Business District, Denver - NabeWise, neighborhoods revealed
Santa Fe Arts District, Denver - NabeWise, neighborhoods revealed
Cherry Creek, Denver - NabeWise, neighborhoods revealed
Speer, Denver - NabeWise, neighborhoods revealed
North Capitol Hill, Denver - NabeWise, neighborhoods revealed

I highly recommend a visit to see for yourself.

Last edited by JMT; 10-23-2012 at 06:47 AM..

Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
Oh, no, Duluth is very oriented to people in their 20's/30's, partly because UMD is there and partly because of the active outdoor lifestyle. In fact, there are some hipsters creeping in.

I used to live in Salt Lake City - it is VERY forested - think of the mountains on both sides. The only problem with SLC, BECAUSE it is in a valley, is that it has an air quality problem. Not nearly as bad as LA, but it exists.

I actually liked SLC better of the two, but live near Duluth now for part of the year so it came to mind first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.