U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 05:05 PM

9 posts, read 31,273 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have lived in Nashville for the last 10 years or so. We are in our early/mid-30's and are looking for a change. While we have watched all of our friends start families, we have come to the conclusion that we don't want any children. Maybe it's just the circles we run in but when we tell people this, they look at us like we're aliens. Having grown up on the west coast, I have found life to be much more traditional here in the South and many of the women are stay at home moms who don't really want careers. Choosing not to have children has made it increasingly difficult for us to maintain friendships as well as start new ones because so much of life in Nashville seems to be centered around families. It's actually a great place to raise children, unfortunately we just don't want any. So, we would love to find a new city where we might find other young-ish professionals like ourselves. In addition, I would love to get out of the heat and humidity and would also like to move to a bigger market where both my husband and I might have more career opportunities. Anyone have suggestions for us? We are fairly open to location but hoping to get out of the South. Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 06:46 PM

56,993 posts, read 81,344,865 times
Philadelphia and Chicago are big cities that are relatively affordable and both have much of what you are lolling for.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:45 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,875,894 times
I'd say most of the cities that are less family-centric are on the west coast, like Los Angeles, Long Beach, and San Francisco.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:03 PM

7,386 posts, read 13,276,529 times
Seattle! It's got the smallest number of children/family in the metro of it's size. I can tell you from experience, people there tend to be more responsive if you have a dog (not a child).

Old 07-07-2011, 05:59 AM

253 posts, read 511,671 times
What industry are you guys in?

Old 07-07-2011, 06:00 AM

253 posts, read 511,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Seattle! It's got the smallest number of children/family in the metro of it's size. I can tell you from experience, people there tend to be more responsive if you have a dog (not a child).
An interesting article with a lot of good facts and figures on the subject:
Seattle is becoming More Kid Friendly, Not Less
http://daily.sightline.org/2010/11/10/seattle-is-becoming-more-kid-friendly/

Now it's true that the city has less children as % of population than another major metro except San Francisco, but it's not anti-children. (Not saying you were implying that, but a lot of people do so just posting the article).

Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 AM

273 posts, read 669,133 times
Sounds like any of the major cities in the Boston - Washington DC corridor, Chicago, or any of the major west coast cities should meet your criteria. Denver or Minneapolis may be good options too. Which one ultimately is the best choice for you really depends on a lot of other things like jobs, your budget, other preferences, etc., but there are plenty of options.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:51 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,297,859 times
If you can afford it, DC is great. There are tons of well-educated professionals and always a lot of activities. Lots of music, restaurants, pro sports, museums, etc. It is near other big cities for easy travel. It is out of the South, but not completely northeastern either.

The culture there is much more focused on careers than on family.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:53 PM

59 posts, read 122,878 times
The first cities that came to mind were Boston, D.C., Seattle, and San Fran. Also Chicago, New York, and Philly

Old 10-23-2012, 06:44 PM

68 posts, read 151,907 times
Default Did you move?

Hi,

I feel exactely the same as you. Me and my husband are in our early thirties and we lived years in the south and we want to move from there. We are not planning for having kids. Did you find a good place for you guys?

Thank you!

Lei
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or