Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:42 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Although this doesn't apply to you, That Ottawa One, I wanted to make this point, and your post is perfect.

What I mean underrated is more about how That Ottawa One has the perception of Baltimore is more crime-ridden than a decent city. That is the general perception of New Orleans, and why I thought it might straddle the line of underrated.
OK, I can see what you are saying. For some people N.O. is underrated b/c they buy into the negativity about it being crime-ridden and/or dirty.

And I can see Baltimore on this list as well. It is a pretty cool place to hang out. Good seafood, neat neighborhoods, all the touristy stuff on the Inner Harbor and one of the top five baseball stadiums in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 03:04 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ottawa One View Post
I am loving these suggestions, and Ill be looking into them.

One city repeatedly mentioned, that surprises me: Baltimore. My impression of it is that it has a relatively high crime rate. Anyone here like to comment on that? What sort of attractions does it have?
The touristy areas are generally fine, with the Inner Harbor being a big draw.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:22 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
^^^ Agree about the tourist areas being safe. In addition to the Inner Harbor, you have Ft. McHenry, Fells Point (great party spot), Federal Hill, Mount Vernon, Harbor East, and Little Italy. All will be safe if you use the same street smarts you would in any big city. Annapolis would make a great day trip, as well.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:27 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
^^^ Agree about the tourist areas being safe. In addition to the Inner Harbor, you have Ft. McHenry, Fells Point (great party spot), Federal Hill, Mount Vernon, Harbor East, and Little Italy. All will be safe if you use the same street smarts you would in any big city. Annapolis would make a great day trip, as well.
Crime in Baltimore is contained in bad neighborhoods. However, even some of Baltimore's bad neighborhoods arent that bad. Tourist areas downtown (the neighborhoods u just mentioned), and plenty others are safe. I know most people that Baltimore is like the movie "i am legend", when one has to be indoors before sunset, when the zombies come, but it just isn't like that.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:43 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Crime in Baltimore is contained in bad neighborhoods.
Baltimore is not different in that regard from any other place (except that it may have more than its share of bad neighborhoods). Even the little town I grew up in has a high(er) crime area I would avoid. It's generally true, however, that such neighborhoods are not those where tourists would have any reason to go to, unless they are looking for trouble.

Seems you know Balto and agree with me that the OP would do well to put their concerns about crime aside and visit a really enjoyable city:

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m514/johnmurphy02/DSCF0432.jpg (broken link)

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m514/johnmurphy02/DSCF0471.jpg (broken link)

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m514/johnmurphy02/DSCF0430.jpg (broken link)

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m514/johnmurphy02/DSCF0462.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-07-2011, 05:55 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Baltimore is not different in that regard from any other place (except that it may have more than its share of bad neighborhoods). Even the little town I grew up in has a high(er) crime area I would avoid. It's generally true, however, that such neighborhoods are not those where tourists would have any reason to go to, unless they are looking for trouble.

Seems you know Balto and agree with me that the OP would do well to put their concerns about crime aside and visit a really enjoyable city:

I agree 100%.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:52 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ottawa One View Post
I want to visit more of the USA in the next few years, so I'm looking for vacation ideas.

Can anyone suggest any underrated and under-appreciated destinations? Any hidden gems out there that are worth the journey?
Hmm... you might look through this list, though I think it may be a few years old.

America's Top 10 Underrated Cities
The cities on our list are oft overlooked by even the savviest of travelers. If you're looking to broaden the scope of your trips to include some less-talked-about places with great art scenes, friendly locals, delectable cuisine, and/or rich history, then add one of our 10 most underrated U.S. cities to your "must-see" list today!
- Providence
- Portland
- Baltimore
- Ft Lauderdale
- Houston
- Kansas City
- Louisville
- Minneapolis
- Pittsburgh
- Sacramento

Old 07-08-2011, 08:59 AM

8,613 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:

Nice photos!

Old 07-08-2011, 09:56 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,238 times
To expound on my recommendation of Baltimore - I went there for two days after a five day trip to the DC area. Had a good friend from Glen Burnie (who lives in Calfornia) tell me I should see it if I had time. I took the train in and I stayed at a hotel in the Mt Vernon area and was really impressed by the cab ride down there - beautiful old brick row houses, monuments, churches and public buildings everywhere. I walked down to the Inner Harbor and a great lady at an information booth told me about all the historic neighborhoods, the aquarium, museums and parks within walking distance of my hotel. I saw Edgar Allen Poe's grave, went to Babe Ruth's childhood home, sat on a bench in Federal Hill Park admiring the Inner Harbor and saw a way of life that even as a San Franciscan was totally unfamiliar to me (other than street scenes from John Water's films!). The city had a feel that was totally unique - historic, ethnic, gritty and gentile at the same time. The seafood places were awesome too - love crab houses! The people I met were great - so willing to take time to help a stranger interested in their town find his way around. They are definitely the friendliest I've met on the East Coast - I actually had more than one person nod and say "how you doing?" as I walked the streets.

I guess what made it so much fun is that I was pretty ignorant about the place and its so large and "undiscovered" that it made it a real adventure for me - something that doesn't happen often in the US cities.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:59 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
They are definitely the friendliest I've met on the East Coast - I actually had more than one person nod and say "how you doing?" as I walked the streets.
Well I guess they do still have a bit of Southernness left in them, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.