Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:08 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
If you like terribly cold winters and a lot of snow, you'll like Minneapolis.

.....says the guy from WI. He said he didn't mind the cold, just as long as snow was always around. How is this not WI, MN or MI???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 09:34 PM

133 posts, read 385,104 times
Westminster,MD

Old 07-08-2011, 01:02 AM

854 posts, read 1,703,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
.....says the guy from WI. He said he didn't mind the cold, just as long as snow was always around. How is this not WI, MN or MI???

The OP said he wants a "white Christmas". I live west of Milwaukee, WI. and it's much colder In Minneapolis, and they also get much more snow.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:13 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyb2005 View Post
Hello! I currently live in Seattle, WA and I love it here - except for the weather. It almost always rains, with a handful of sunny days in the summer and a little snow in the winter (if we're lucky). My ideal city probably doesn't exist, but here is my list of desired characteristics:

Try the Boston area

1) All four seasons – I want a white Christmas and summers that are warm enough to justify owning a swimming pool. Check
2) In or near a major city with plenty of restaurants, cultural events, shopping, a night life, and an abundance of things to do. Check
3) A thriving arts community, especially theatre. Check (though I don't know much about the theater)
4) Liberal/progressive. Check
5) Lush and green with good air quality and plenty of hiking and other outdoor activities. Check (nature is not far from Boston at all if you want it)
6) Near the ocean or a nice lake for boating/swimming. Check
7) Tolerable traffic. I'd say so, see below
8) Affordable homes/reasonable cost of living for a household yearly income of 150k. Not sure what you're looking for
9) Good schools/good place to raise a family. Check
10) Low crime. It's generally a safe city/metro, just stay away from the "bad parts" like anywhere else

I'd love some input on which cities you think best fit this list! I'd like to stay as close as possible to the west coast, but I'd move just about anywhere in the U.S. if it matches my list! Thank you!
My first thought was the Boston area, it meets most of your criteria. The only two things I'm not sure about is what's tolerable traffic because everyone has a different idea of what that is, but it's definitely not the worst you could do and the mass transit system is one of the better ones in the country; and the other thing is affordability. I don't know much about that because I'm young (20) and honestly don't know much about buying home or finding places to live, but I'm sure you could find something suitable in one of the suburbs of Boston, or the city proper itself if that would work too. It's not like the most expensive area in the country by any means.

Ha, I totally missed that you wanted to stay near the West Coast sorry. But Boston's something to think about anyway I guess.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:24 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,872,298 times
Denver was the first city that came to mind, Boulder is great as well.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:35 PM

914 posts, read 2,103,837 times
When you mention low traffic and the desire to stay in the West coast, the only city that can fit all of your requirements is Anchorage (four seasons, low traffic, affordable homes, clean air, proximity to ocean, and plenty of opportunity for outdoor recreation......)

Old 07-10-2011, 11:27 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Anchorage ... affordable homes
Sure about that? ^

Old 07-11-2011, 06:24 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
The original poster clearly is looking for Rochester, NY. No contest!

Old 07-11-2011, 07:11 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,442,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
The OP said he wants a "white Christmas". I live west of Milwaukee, WI. and it's much colder In Minneapolis, and they also get much more snow.
It's not that bad... And even if it were, it's not like you live outside all winter. They have heating in Minnesota, you know.

For the OP, I agree about Minneapolis, and I would also check out Milwaukee and parts of Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.