U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 04-21-2009, 09:50 PM

3,370 posts, read 6,924,842 times
France has a large black population due to colonialism, which left a Francophone heritage in many countries in Central/West Africa. I believe France has more blacks than any other European country besides England. The French normally don't stare at blacks spending money in restaurants/bars/upscale shops with disbelief because many government officials and business people from Africa visit France, many of their children study in France, and many end up staying. Contrast this to places like Spain, Italy, and Portugal, where if you stay out of some lower-income suburban enclaves, you may go a whole week without seeing a single black person. That's changing, and has changed a lot especially since 2000, but France has had a substantial black population for years now.

Anecdote: When I was living in Madrid in 2006, I had an African-American friend who told me that at first, she had a very hard time adjusting to Spanish life. It took her forever to find a place to get her hair cut and although she told me that people were generally very warm and welcoming when they started talking to her, she really was made uncomfortable by how everyone would look at her in disbelief every time she entered a restaurant, shopped in a nice store, or walked down a nice street in her own neighborhood. She took a trip to Paris and said that no one seemed to bat an eye, and that even she was pleasantly surprised to find streets and neighborhoods with very high black presence in some of the outer arrondisements. Her experience just goes to show why many people come on here, as African-Americans, asking about neighborhoods with black presence. Though I have never lived somewhere where people knew I was a "minority," foreigner, or outsider due to my appearance, I can imagine how difficult it must be and why many people would just prefer to not have to deal with awkwardness and possible unwelcomeness.

Last edited by crisp444; 04-21-2009 at 09:59 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Status: "most vulnerable when you have everything or you have nothing" (set 3 days ago)

27,204 posts, read 30,661,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I've heard it said that France and Germany tend to be almost celebratory towards Blacks. That may be limited to Black Americans, though, I'm not sure.
Yup, when I was in the Army, many of the Black and white soldiers would tell me how the women loved the Black soldiers over in Germany. I've heard this from germans as well.

Unread 04-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Status: "most vulnerable when you have everything or you have nothing" (set 3 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
France has a large black population due to colonialism, which left a Francophone heritage in many countries in Central/West Africa. I believe France has more blacks than any other European country besides England. The French normally don't stare at blacks spending money in restaurants/bars/upscale shops with disbelief because many government officials and business people from Africa visit France, many of their children study in France, and many end up staying. Contrast this to places like Spain, Italy, and Portugal, where if you stay out of some lower-income suburban enclaves, you may go a whole week without seeing a single black person. That's changing, and has changed a lot especially since 2000, but France has had a substantial black population for years now.

Anecdote: When I was living in Madrid in 2006, I had an African-American friend who told me that at first, she had a very hard time adjusting to Spanish life. It took her forever to find a place to get her hair cut and although she told me that people were generally very warm and welcoming when they started talking to her, she really was made uncomfortable by how everyone would look at her in disbelief every time she entered a restaurant, shopped in a nice store, or walked down a nice street in her own neighborhood. She took a trip to Paris and said that no one seemed to bat an eye, and that even she was pleasantly surprised to find streets and neighborhoods with very high black presence in some of the outer arrondisements. Her experience just goes to show why many people come on here, as African-Americans, asking about neighborhoods with black presence. Though I have never lived somewhere where people knew I was a "minority," foreigner, or outsider due to my appearance, I can imagine how difficult it must be and why many people would just prefer to not have to deal with awkwardness and possible unwelcomeness.
Thank you for putting the topic into proper perspective. I would give you a rep., but they told me to spread the love around.

Unread 05-31-2009, 08:57 AM

7 posts, read 10,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Wow. I never realized that the City-Data forums were so rampant with ignorant people.

Blacks have made significan contributions to AMERICAN culture than any other ethnic group in this country. In fact, it can be argued that black culture IS American culture.

To label an entire race based on stereotypes and half-true statements without even bothering to tell the entire story is just flat out stupid.
This is my first time posting, as I have been just reading, but I felt the need to comment on the above post about Black people having made the most contributions to American culture. If anyone has ever read Gulliver's Travels, maybe they remember a part of the story where he lands in Lilliput (sp?), a land of small people, and the people there are divided and at war. They are at war because two brothers, princes of a once-united kingdom, argued one day over breakfast, about which side of the egg should be cracked first. This led to war because both made the people choose a side. I always think about this when I hear people arguing over something that is irrelevant to the larger scheme of things and yet the argument itself becomes relevant because it hurts so many.

ALL immigrants have contributed to the development of this country and making America what it is, including the Native Americans who were here before all of us. I majored in sociology and I can tell you right now, EVERYONE who has stepped foot on this land has left their mark in one way or another, whether it be in the art, architecture, language or food of so-called "American culture." Most people don't even know where the elements of our norms and customs orginated from.

I understand the need to lay claim, but to argue over who has more right to the development of American culture (which if you ask other countries, they may tell you, 'I wouldn't want that claim.')!? At this point, we're all here! To say one group holds more claim than another is like arguing over which side of the egg to crack. It is a moot point! This argument has always gotten on my nerves. What a waste of time!

As far as the original question, Montclair, NJ is a culturally diverse community, with an African-American community that is what you were looking for; "values and a work ethic". The schools are great and overall the people are free-thinking. The town itself is historic and very pretty.

Unread 05-31-2009, 03:11 PM

Check this thread too: Predominantly African-American cities with low crime...

Especially in the later pages.

Unread 05-31-2009, 03:52 PM

3,009 posts, read 5,206,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMar View Post
This is my first time posting, as I have been just reading, but I felt the need to comment on the above post about Black people having made the most contributions to American culture. If anyone has ever read Gulliver's Travels, maybe they remember a part of the story where he lands in Lilliput (sp?), a land of small people, and the people there are divided and at war. They are at war because two brothers, princes of a once-united kingdom, argued one day over breakfast, about which side of the egg should be cracked first. This led to war because both made the people choose a side. I always think about this when I hear people arguing over something that is irrelevant to the larger scheme of things and yet the argument itself becomes relevant because it hurts so many.

ALL immigrants have contributed to the development of this country and making America what it is, including the Native Americans who were here before all of us. I majored in sociology and I can tell you right now, EVERYONE who has stepped foot on this land has left their mark in one way or another, whether it be in the art, architecture, language or food of so-called "American culture." Most people don't even know where the elements of our norms and customs orginated from.

I understand the need to lay claim, but to argue over who has more right to the development of American culture (which if you ask other countries, they may tell you, 'I wouldn't want that claim.')!? At this point, we're all here! To say one group holds more claim than another is like arguing over which side of the egg to crack. It is a moot point! This argument has always gotten on my nerves. What a waste of time!

As far as the original question, Montclair, NJ is a culturally diverse community, with an African-American community that is what you were looking for; "values and a work ethic". The schools are great and overall the people are free-thinking. The town itself is historic and very pretty.
I think Tony Soprano lives in Montclair

Unread 06-03-2009, 09:36 AM

24,092 posts, read 19,068,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post

African-American auther Richard Wright left the United States to live in Paris because of the racism he experience in the USA.

Unread 07-01-2010, 08:37 AM

24,092 posts, read 19,068,142 times
An interesting video to watch.
YouTube - RACISM IN AMERICA. WHO STARTED IT part4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.