Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you like to see get on the Hip Hop map?
Minn St. paul 17 21.25%
Denver 15 18.75%
Albuquerque 4 5.00%
Omaha 8 10.00%
Seattle 17 21.25%
Portland 2 2.50%
Vegas 8 10.00%
Pheonix 9 11.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 03:49 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times

Advertisements

I guess theres a different name for it everywhere.I know alot of the Cleveland rappers talk about Swangin.And than alot of the Oakland/Bay Area rappers talk about getting Hyphy.But they are both basically the same thing.Do they got a different name for it in Denver?E-40 comes out with all that slang,hes one of the tightest mainstream rappers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 05:02 PM

375 posts, read 781,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontbelloTopHat View Post
Vegabond if you think Hip Hop devastated the black community your crazy' how about slavery 300 years ago, how about segergation in the 1800 and early 1900s, how about the "crack empedemic" that the Gov. allowed in the black community, that devastated the black community, if anything hip hop helpd the community by makin young black millionairs that put alot of money in thease communities, and giving African American Jobs in the industry that used to be all White and theres a deffernce between "Gangta Rap" and Hip Hop alot of hip hop is mainly party music, and theres alot pro black hip hop out there that never talk about ther hos and guns, so its not fair that you disrespect a hole culture that appeantly you dont Know to much about!
Look at how THUGS have destroyed lower income cities, f*ck slavery, I'm talk about the HERE and NOW! Black people are lynching their own damn selves today. Who needs Amos and Andy and Sapphire in black face when you have Flava Flav and New York???

And your precious young black millionaires are like any other greedy, self indulgent corporate entity - their out to make a buck! Off of the backs of people like YOU! So what if they employ 50 dudes out of a community of 50,000 to help them spew their woman bashing, black on black violence endorsing spewm - what's your point! When's the last time Fiddy Cents or Lil Wayne spent a couple million to to spread AIDS awareness or to invest in charter schools or emergancy housing for single mothers in the hood or to provide clothes and food for low-income families or to provide scholarships for kids with no means to pay for higher education....THAT'S RIGHT! They fabricate stories about how they ruled the streets as O.G.'s (ala Biggie Smalls) and they get the fawning, dellusional masses to buy their fabricated crap. HIP HOP AND RAP DO NOT REFLECT EVERY BLACK AMERICAN'S STORY and the talentless jokes that are being pimped as the "real deal" are out to get rich off of low self esteem blacks who defend these dudes with their dying breath, quoting their lyrics even as they get shot in the back for a pair of Air Force Ones...

The last real rapper was Tu Pac. End of story.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:04 PM

375 posts, read 781,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
How about the people that has so much negativity to say about hip hop turn the tv and radio off like most hip hop fans that has listened to the music has done. There is plenty of music uplifting the black community out there but you can only dwell on the negativity because that's all you see or know. It's getting annoying.
How can I turn the sh*t off when the bufoon across the street is blasting it so loud it's rattling my windows at 3 f*cking AM in the godamn morning?

Old 08-09-2007, 05:04 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
Well, they have to have talent there first of all.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:14 PM

The crack epedemic destroyed the black community.The poor blacks didn't have the planes that flew the drugs into the community,it must have been someone else.Whoever brought the drugs here in the first place is the ones to blame.But Vagabond you seem to have a problem with people who like rap.This is the music we like to listen to.I can't help it that I don't like any other genres besides Rap,RnB,and Soul.And MontbelloTopHats right you don't seem like you know to much about rap.There is rap that isn't excplicit.And rap does open doors to young black men that might otherwise be selling crack,or even worse getting killed.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:12 PM

87 posts, read 147,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I guess theres a different name for it everywhere.I know alot of the Cleveland rappers talk about Swangin.And than alot of the Oakland/Bay Area rappers talk about getting Hyphy.But they are both basically the same thing.Do they got a different name for it in Denver?E-40 comes out with all that slang,hes one of the tightest mainstream rappers.
They call it tha same thing every where swangin and goin hyphy and ghost ridin is defferent things swangin is when you swerve left to right, ghost ridin is when you let the car roll and walk behind it, goin hyphy or stupid is when u jus go wild

Old 08-09-2007, 06:29 PM

What about DC.its not represented that well in Hip Hop,or Buffalo NY,Jacksonville,FL,Birmingham,AL,Little Rock,Arkansas,there is alot of cities that aren't represented that well.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:32 PM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
I voted for Seattle. The only well known hip-hop artist from there so far is Sir Mix-A-Lot (the one hit wonder "Baby Got Back"), but there have been some underground artists from there as well, like Kid Sensation, E-Dawg, and Third Level. I think it would also be cool to see a music scene in Seattle aside from grunge.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:34 PM

87 posts, read 147,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Look at how THUGS have destroyed lower income cities, f*ck slavery, I'm talk about the HERE and NOW! Black people are lynching their own damn selves today. Who needs Amos and Andy and Sapphire in black face when you have Flava Flav and New York???

And your precious young black millionaires are like any other greedy, self indulgent corporate entity - their out to make a buck! Off of the backs of people like YOU! So what if they employ 50 dudes out of a community of 50,000 to help them spew their woman bashing, black on black violence endorsing spewm - what's your point! When's the last time Fiddy Cents or Lil Wayne spent a couple million to to spread AIDS awareness or to invest in charter schools or emergancy housing for single mothers in the hood or to provide clothes and food for low-income families or to provide scholarships for kids with no means to pay for higher education....THAT'S RIGHT! They fabricate stories about how they ruled the streets as O.G.'s (ala Biggie Smalls) and they get the fawning, dellusional masses to buy their fabricated crap. HIP HOP AND RAP DO NOT REFLECT EVERY BLACK AMERICAN'S STORY and the talentless jokes that are being pimped as the "real deal" are out to get rich off of low self esteem blacks who defend these dudes with their dying breath, quoting their lyrics even as they get shot in the back for a pair of Air Force Ones...

The last real rapper was Tu Pac. End of story.
You dont what ur talkin about "f#c3 slavery" your ignorant, if black people didnt come here on slave ships this hole country would be differnt and we wouldnt have thease problems in the black community and those blck millionairs spend millions on good causes, lil Wayne droped 5 million on katrina oh speakin on katrina the gov. wasnt that worried about them gettin to safty
were they we aint haggin are selves we got hung for 300 years! If you think the past has nothing to do with the present you dead wrong! And your right hip hop doest reflect evey black american so whats your point? what about all thease rock bands talkin about devil worship, that got all thease lil white kids shootin up schools and killin thier self? Its odviously your white or at least not black and cant relate so you have no right to make thease assumptions on somethin u kno nothin about

Old 08-09-2007, 08:29 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
In Cleveland the movement is Swangin,similar to Houston and The Bay Areas movements.You put your SLAB in drive go really slow,and walk outside the car.In Oakland they stunt on the rides and get hyphy.I think the new fast car thing is more of an East Coast thing.
Slab? Oh yeah, Cleveland is indeed influenced by Houston and this doesn't surprise me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.