U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-19-2011, 04:14 PM

965 posts, read 1,186,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
I mean, if the Twin Cities could be awarded the Olympics, I wouldn't want it to happen anyways. Except for the imminent (seemingly) population growth that follows, the Olympics cost a mega-load and leave all kinds of architectual scars on the landscape.

No thanks, for me.
Montreal, Athens, Atlanta, Munich, Salt Lake City.

In the first two, the Olympics ended up being financially disastrous in some way or another. In the third, there was a domestic terror incident. In the fourth, there was an international terror incident. And in SLC, there was much scandal over what the city did to get the games, and how shady the IOC was. Those terror incidents BTW are why Washington DC will never make a bid.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 08:27 AM

40,059 posts, read 20,043,737 times
If you assume (or pretend) that a municipal government is anywhere near responsible, then there's no reason for any city to want the Olympics. What it usually comes down to is an overwhelming desire for publicity. You're a mayor; tell your constituents what kinds of financial and logistical headaches are waiting for you when you host the Olympics--then sit back and see how many of them want you to go ahead and put in a bid.

Besides, the whole thing comes down to a tug of war between the American media (which would like an American city to host the Games), and the IOC (which wouldn't). Just what everyone needed more of...politics and television.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:48 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,158,341 times
Summer: Minneapolis-St. Paul, Detroit, or Seattle

Winter: Lake Tahoe, Alaska (spread it out over the entire state with the ceremonies in Anchorage), Denver (won bid in 70s (?) and declined)...

Old 09-20-2011, 09:16 PM

744 posts, read 781,146 times
Twin Cities - Summer
Denver or Anchorage - Winter!

Old 09-21-2011, 03:33 AM

631 posts, read 564,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Santa Fe (since there are a lot of resort communities nearby in northern NM, and I suppose there may be some in southern CO that might work for certain events, as well)

As for my suggestions of Spokane-Coeur D'alene, Burlington, and Santa Fe, the fact the IOC appears to increasingly be looking to host the Winter Games in bigger communities may work against these 3 areas. But who knows, maybe the IOC would be more favorable to such a bid in these places than I think, if such a bid in any of these areas was placed by a group from those areas seeking the Winter Games?
As I mentioned in my initial post to this thread it's somewhat a dream of mine for Albuquerque and Santa Fe/northern New Mexico to co-host the Winter Olympics one day. Both places would bring something equally important to the table.

Specifically, Santa Fe/northern New Mexico would bring the snow and locations necessary for the outdoor events, where Albuquerque would bring that size you speak of to succesfully host the games and also to construct suitable indoor facilities that wouldn't end up as white elephants afterward.

Albuquerque also brings an airport that would be able to be expanded enough to accomodate the amount of people coming to the games. Santa Fe's airport is not nearly as able to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Summer:

San Juan PR
This is an interesting idea. Would games held in San Juan really be considered U.S. Olympics? I know Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens, but they send their own delegation to the Olympics separate from the U.S. delegation. When the host country's delegation walks in (always last) it would be the Puerto Rican delegation not that of the United States.

Something really interesting is that the head of state for Puerto Rico is the president of the United States, so how would it be if the American president was present for the opening ceremonies?

Old 09-22-2011, 12:36 AM

1,732 posts, read 2,213,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It starts to cool off to tolerable in Mid September. But I don't think people are that much against humidity like the people on this forum believes.
That's hilarious. It's still insanely hot in September in Houston. That's a fact.

The average temp is 89 in September. Down from 91 in August. It's the humidity that will kill you however.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:40 AM

552 posts, read 418,028 times
Chicago for the sole reason it might force them to get on a high speed rail plan for the midwest.

One can dream, right?

Old 09-22-2011, 02:16 AM

4,897 posts, read 5,584,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
Which cities do you want to host the Olympics. Summer or Winter.

I would like to see:
Minneapolis, Portland, and St. Louis host the summer.

Denver, Seattle, and Portland could host the winter.

Those are very fun locations that could easily do it (St. Louis would be the only difficult one).

Any possibilities, agreements? disagreements?
Miami, hands down!!! As for the Winter games, who cares.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:22 AM

6,009 posts, read 3,657,826 times
There are only a few metropolitan areas which are feasible enough to host the Olympics, especially the Summer Games...probably New York, the Bay Area, and Chicago. That's it. And NY should get the next round for the US.
Winter-wise, I don't think North America should see it anytime soon after Vancouver & SLC, but Colorado would a great choice, or even Lake Tahoe.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:12 AM

1,732 posts, read 2,213,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
There are only a few metropolitan areas which are feasible enough to host the Olympics, especially the Summer Games...probably New York, the Bay Area, and Chicago. That's it. And NY should get the next round for the US.
Wrong. The lead time is such that even cities lacking some of the infastructure have time to develop them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.