U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2011, 08:11 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,334,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
So hold the games in September instead of July or August. Contrary to popular belief, Houston, Atlanta, Miami, and Dallas can be pleasant starting in mid September. I believe Sydney held the games in September.
Pleasant is relative, but those cities are still too hot for longer endurance events in September. The summer olympics should be reserved for cool or moderate climates imo.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 08:12 PM

67,404 posts, read 55,016,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
My vote would be Denver for the winter games. However, considering that we were awarded, then rejected the Olympics in 1976 and SLC (in the US Mountain West) hosted them in 2002, I think it will be a long, long, long time before the IOC awards them here again.
There is talk of Denver hosting the 2022 Winter Olympics. The political atmosphere is much different here now.

Could Denver be host to the 2022 Winter Olympic Games? | 9news.com

Last edited by Katiana; 07-10-2011 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-10-2011, 08:12 PM

24,617 posts, read 30,034,377 times
Denver would be a great city for either the Summer or Winter games imo.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:17 PM

24,617 posts, read 30,034,377 times
Reno-Tahoe is also looking into the 2022 Winter Games.
Reno-Tahoe Winter Games: Region has hotel capacity to meet demand | Reno Gazette-Journal | rgj.com

Interestingly, if awarded this would be the 2nd time the region has hosted a Winter Olympics as the 1960 Winter Olympics were held in Squaw Valley which is a resort in the Tahoe Area.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:23 PM

4,907 posts, read 4,244,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
You'd have to hold the downhill events at Sun Valley and build bobsled/luge tracks and ski jumps somewhere in the surrounding mountains as well. Not sure if Boise State's arena and the Qwest Arena are big enough for hockey/ice skating events of if you'd have to build bigger facilities. Not saying Boise couldn't have the Winter Games evntually, but the existing infrastructure might be lacking right now. But Ketchum/Sun Valley would be well positioned with Boise to hold skiing events and you could probably hold snowboarding/freestyle skiing events somewhere close by like Bogus Basin.
I'm not suggesting that Boise is the perfect location by any means...and yes, they'd pretty much have to build up the infrastructure from scratch. But the next bid is for 2022 (selection in 2015), so Boise would have a good bit of time to prepare. I wouldn't really target Boise for 2022, though...I'd look at 2026 or even 2030 as a possible future date. I know that's a loooong way down the road, but by then, Boise could be a bit more grown up (thinking 2026...possibly as big as 900k in the metro).

I think the problem right now is that Boise would have little use for the facilities they would have to build after the Olympics is over (at its present size). In 16 years, they could be big enough to justify having those facilities. We don't know what the landscape of professional sports will be like by then...but it's plausible that Boise could be in the running for an NHL team...or at least an upgrade to the AHL. Also, Qwest Arena would be 29 years old at that time...and the city could possibly be looking for an upgrade/replacement.

It's just a long way off...I like Boise, and would think it would be a good underdog candidate for the Winter Games.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:04 PM

13,111 posts, read 13,614,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Pleasant is relative, but those cities are still too hot for longer endurance events in September. The summer olympics should be reserved for cool or moderate climates imo.
Oh people need to grow a pair. Temps in the 80s with lows In the 60s is pleasant for most folks. Why try to pigeonhole an event like this to certain cities when other cities are more than capable of holding them. That's ridiculous.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That's because summer below the equator is Nov-Feb and so it was spring down there.

If they held it during July that's winter in Australia.
Yeah, I knew that. But with that said, why couldn't a city in the Northern Latitude hold the game in month equal to their September? Why couldn't Houston hot the gamea in April when the temps are in the 70s and lows in the 50s. People just try to find ways to take digs at southern cities. Like they are incapable of holding anything.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:08 AM

1,732 posts, read 1,928,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Contrary to popular belief, Houston, Atlanta, Miami, and Dallas can be pleasant starting in mid September..
Houston? Mid September is still oppressive with that damned humidity.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Houston? Mid September is still oppressive with that damned humidity.
It starts to cool off to tolerable in Mid September. But I don't think people are that much against humidity like the people on this forum believes.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:49 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 236,504 times
I believe the Olympics need to be hosted in a city with a world class transit system in place along with tons of hotel rooms available. Therefore, the two most logical cities would be New York City or Chicago.

Last edited by Gateway Region; 07-11-2011 at 08:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.