Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you decide to stay in your college town/city/metro or move on?
I stayed 8 27.59%
I moved on 21 72.41%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 03:53 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times

Advertisements

Title says it all. Did you decide to stay in the area (city/metro) that you attended college in? Or did you move back home or to a different area for whatever reason (job, family, girlfriend, etc)?

I haven't had to make that decision yet. I moved to Rochester, NY strictly to go to college. I have really grown to love this area and will do anything to stay here after I graduate next spring. It has become my home and I want to live here for a long time. I'm a nontraditional student with a wife and kids so I think that may be a big factor in my decision as well, unlike a young 22 year old with nothing holding them there after school.

What about you guys? Anyone fall in love with their college town and decide to stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 07:19 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
Are you from the south or midwest originally?

Old 08-14-2016, 07:41 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
I went to a commuter school near where I grew up. I moved for four years, loved every minute of it, but then the recession happened and I moved back home. Been unhappy ever since. My experience though isn't exactly the same as most people's as I didn't go to a major university in a traditional college town.

From what I know though, college towns are great up until you are about age 27, and then they start to not offer as much.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Are you from the south or midwest originally?
I was born and raised in Clayton County GA (south metro Atlanta). I then joined the Army in 2007 and was stationed in Ft. Drum (Watertown, NY) for a few years, spent 15 months in Iraq, then lived in Seoul Korea (Yongsan Army base) for a year, then lived in Ft. Stewart GA (Savannah) for a year until I decided to get out of the Army after 5 years. I then briefly moved back to Watertown and then lived in Philadelphia for a year due to medically reason for my twin daughters, then back to Watertown for a bit. I currently live in Rochester NY which I came to go to school and hope to buy a house and stay long term because we really like it here. I'm tired of moving around and now that my three kids are all in school I hope to give them a stable living environment.

However, I come from a large military family so I have a lot of family throughout the country that I visit pretty regularly. GA (Atlanta/Macon), FL (Orlando), NC/SC (Rock Hill/Charlotte), CO (Colorado Springs), OH (Toledo, Cleveland), NE (Sydney), DC (Alexandria), TX (Austin). And I'm probably missing a few but those are the main one's I can think of.

So to answer your question, I'm from the South, visit and have a lot of family in the Midwest, and currently live in the Northeast. Any particular reason you ask?

Last edited by gt87; 08-14-2016 at 10:00 AM..

Old 08-14-2016, 12:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I stayed in the metro area for 13 years before moving to another state, have been here now 23 years and would never go back.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:23 PM

Wow, I'm pretty surprised by the poll so far. Where I'm from originally (Atlanta area) I know a ton of people that moved there to go to GA Tech or UGA and have stayed ever since. Same with where I currently live in Rochester. A lot of people I've got to know here moved here specifically to go to RIT or UofR and decided to stay.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:58 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I moved on, but my situation is a little different from those who went away for college. I attended a university in my hometown, found employment nearby upon graduation, and married my college sweetheart. We bought a house and settled in, but life had other plans for us, and we moved to the Bay Area about eight years later. We've made two more big moves and a couple of smaller moves since then and now live somewhere completely different. I have no plans to move back to the state of my birth. Ever. It was a great place to grow up, earn my degree, and start my career, but it holds little appeal for me now.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:23 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times
Different city, same state.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:05 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I moved twice (TN to IA, TN to IN) and finally got a decent position in TN. I start in two weeks and am moving the rest of my stuff back this week.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:08 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times
I went to school in the state I grew up in. I left for some of the more popular cities in my 20s but ended up coming back home. Leaving AZ made me appreciate it so much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.