Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 03:24 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I don't think that Atlanta would get the games again, nor would Dallas or Houston. While they are all large, rapidly growing metros, none of them have the international cache of say a NY, LA, Chicago, SF or even DC. I don't see a tier 2 US city getting the games any time soon.

I would also say that a reason why the US has been shunned lately has been due to politics related to anti GW Bush and America's occupation of Iraq. I think the election of Obama has helped to soften the image of the US abroad, but it still has a ways to go to undue the damage that was done in terms of international opinion. I'd say there's an outside possibility of the US being awarded the Olympics in the next couple selections, but it may be longer than that.
You're right but let's see where these cities are in 20-30 years. They are certainly becoming more international and popular with each passing year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 04:51 PM

408 posts, read 581,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I don't think that Atlanta would get the games again, nor would Dallas or Houston. While they are all large, rapidly growing metros, none of them have the international cache of say a NY, LA, Chicago, SF or even DC. I don't see a tier 2 US city getting the games any time soon.

I would also say that a reason why the US has been shunned lately has been due to politics related to anti GW Bush and America's occupation of Iraq. I think the election of Obama has helped to soften the image of the US abroad, but it still has a ways to go to undue the damage that was done in terms of international opinion. I'd say there's an outside possibility of the US being awarded the Olympics in the next couple selections, but it may be longer than that.
I have a question..

I'm curious on what cities did Atlanta beat out to be awarded the 96 Olympics, and why was it awarded the games over other major cities such as Chicago, New York, Or Boston at the time. It seems kinda random IMO..

Old 07-10-2011, 04:53 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Detroit

Old 07-10-2011, 05:03 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,742 times
Athens, Toronto, and Melbourne (in that order) were the "runner-up" cities.

Many have suggested that The Coca-Cola Corp. is a big reason for the successful Atlanta bid. Coke's HQ is Atlanta, and the soft drink was heavily marketed both at the Olympics and throughout the international television coverage.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:17 PM

606 posts, read 1,078,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Hostile? Why would Minneapolis or Chicago be a good winter Olympics city? Neither have mountains (MN has large hills, up north, but those may be too short for most skiing events). Summer, I agree. Winter, hell no!

If you think cold cities can host winter Olympics, then I don't think you know what you're talking about.
So would Miami be a better choice for the Winter Olympics???

Old 07-10-2011, 05:44 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Hostile? Why would Minneapolis or Chicago be a good winter Olympics city? Neither have mountains (MN has large hills, up north, but those may be too short for most skiing events). Summer, I agree. Winter, hell no!

If you think cold cities can host winter Olympics, then I don't think you know what you're talking about.
Yes, you couldn't have the Winter Olympics in the US anywhere east of the Rockies except for parts of the Northeastern US(The Adirondacks, Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine basically) ... Basically just for the fact that you need to be in close proximity to mountains and ski areas with consistent winter snowfall that are large enough to host World Cup-level downhill events to be able to be considered a contender to host the Winter Olympics. You can't have a Olympic downhill at a ski area with a vertical drop of 500-700 feet. You need a mountain with a consistent pitch for over 2,000 feet.

Last edited by Deezus; 07-10-2011 at 06:04 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 05:51 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Summer - San Francisco or NYC
Winter - Denver

Old 07-10-2011, 07:18 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
So would Miami be a better choice for the Winter Olympics???
What???????:confused :

What are you talking about?

Old 07-10-2011, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 11,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
Which cities do you want to host the Olympics. Summer or Winter.

I would like to see:
Minneapolis, Portland, and St. Louis host the summer.

Denver, Seattle, and Portland could host the winter.

Those are very fun locations that could easily do it (St. Louis would be the only difficult one).

Any possibilities, agreements? disagreements?
Actually it wouldn't be difficult for St. Louis to host the Olympics in 2024. They will be one of few cities that will need either a new football or baseball stadiun by then. Here's a link to a map showing possible venues. It's pretty compact.

St. Louis 2024 Olympics Venues - Google Maps

Old 07-10-2011, 07:45 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
So hold the games in September instead of July or August. Contrary to popular belief, Houston, Atlanta, Miami, and Dallas can be pleasant starting in mid September. I believe Sydney held the games in September.
That's because summer below the equator is Nov-Feb and so it was spring down there.

If they held it during July that's winter in Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.