U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-11-2011, 10:48 AM

26,192 posts, read 18,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I tried to find videos but full episodes are really hard to find on Youtube lol. But I remember he said it to Plankton in the episode where they try to start a rock band together, the episode was Krabby Road.

But then in other episodes he says it the other way like when he works for Plankton and sings the song greasy spoon. And in another one where his spatula is broke and he gets a French replacement, the French character says greazy but that was because they wanted him to sound foreign and snooty. Lol, I'm 20 years old but I still watch Spongebob like everyday.
My daughter will be 20 in August--I was going to ask her about it because she loves Spongebob too.

But don't worry--years ago, my younger brother, who had a girlfriend with a child started telling me about this really cool new cartoon that he loved watching with the kid, called Spongebob Squarepants. That was probably twelve years ago, and my brother is now 44, so he started watching it in his mid-thirties. A couple of years after that, I started seeing all the backpacks and other Spongebob stuff popping up all over, and my daughter was watching it every day!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 01:32 PM

11,504 posts, read 19,867,869 times
NJ:

greesy
coo-pon (Q-Pon drives me nuts)
pen
wash
I did have the "Brender" issue, but no longer!
yore, hour and eye'm

Old 07-11-2011, 01:34 PM

11,504 posts, read 19,867,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I don't know where else in the US people speak that way, but I do know that in the New York metropolitan area, Long Island gets the nod! If you listen to Billy Joel's "Scenes from an Italian Wedding," he clearly tells the story of Brender and Eddie.
and of course that's how I sing it - "Brender", not "Brenda"!! LOL

Old 07-11-2011, 01:38 PM

2,978 posts, read 2,788,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilotwannabe View Post
Coopins!

Old 07-11-2011, 02:06 PM

452 posts, read 135,000 times
Let's see... Lived in Indiana my entire life...

Greasy
Koo-pons (Where do you get the Q sound?)
Pen
Wash
Yore
Hour
Eye'm

Old 07-11-2011, 04:57 PM

38 posts, read 49,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Just kidding. It's a Ron White bit.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:41 PM

4,947 posts, read 5,957,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape317 View Post
Koo-pons (Where do you get the Q sound?)
I think I've always said cyoo-pon, not that it makes sense, but someone on another forum pointed out that Houston is pronounced as hyooston and not hooston, so I guess there is a precedent.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:13 PM

38,728 posts, read 34,414,605 times
Do you make "singer" and "finger" rhyme?

Old 07-12-2011, 01:08 AM

142 posts, read 141,828 times
^How would they be pronounced differently?

I pronounce "our" usually like "are," but my parents' generation in my area mostly pronounces it like "aah-r," with the "aah" being the vowel in the word "bat." And then you just add an r to it at the end.

Also, yore, eye'm, coupons can go either way, and wahsh (not warsh OR wawsh), pen, and greasy.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:31 AM

26,192 posts, read 18,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think I've always said cyoo-pon, not that it makes sense, but someone on another forum pointed out that Houston is pronounced as hyooston and not hooston, so I guess there is a precedent.
...but if you are in Manhattan on Houston Street, you are on HOWston Street!

We always said Q-pon when I was growing up. Now I switch back and forth depending on what I hear other people say.

According to Dictionary.com, it is pronounced both ways, with the "koo-" version listed first, and there is this pronounciation note:

Pronunciation note
Coupon, related to cope and coup, is of French origin. It has developed an American pronunciation variant  /[SIZE=3]ˈkyupɒn[/SIZE]/ Show Spelled[kyoo-pon] Show IPA with an unhistorical y -sound not justified by the spelling. This pronunciation is used by educated speakers and is well-established as perfectly standard, although it is sometimes criticized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.