Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:51 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

[quote=Rob Allen;19987287]I grew up in northern NJ, but my father is from Pittsburgh and my mother's family is from Ohio.

I say 'greasy' with a soft s

coo-pon

don't insert r's (I recall a NJ restaurant manager talking about "tuner salad"; still makes me laugh)

'our' and 'hour' sound exactly the same unless I'm speaking quickly, then 'our' becomes 'are'.

'pen' and 'pin' are different

And I'm apparently unique in this - "you're" sounds like "yoor", not "yore". Again, when speaking quickly it can sound more like "yer".[/quote]

That's the Jersey in ya.

Speaking of which, a friend of mine from Kearny, NJ, says "yuhs", a plural of you. "Are yuhs going to the store?" She also says "Nork" for Newark (most Jerseyans say "New-erk" unless they are tawking about the one in Delaware, which is "New-Ark".)

I've noticed that people from that small area of Hudson County tend to say "Nork", but no one else does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
how does everyone say "horrible"?

i say "hahr-ih-bul" (that's the best way I can phonetically spell it) but my son says "w h ore-ih-bul" ,lol (CD starred that word out, so I had to add a space between the "w" and the "h" and the "ore"). since we live in the same house, not quite sure it's a regional thing.
That is funny. I grew up saying "fahrest" and "ahrnge" but my older sister says "fore-est" and "or-enge". And I say "horrible" the way you do, but my daughter says it the way your son does.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:10 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,237,943 times
envelope

IN-velope or ON-velope.

I tend to use both interchangeably.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:19 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
envelope

IN-velope or ON-velope.

I only use envelopes.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
envelope

IN-velope or ON-velope.

EN-velope!

LOL, I've heard people say "ON-velope" but never "IN-velope". Although, perhaps the people who don't distinguish between pens and pins do that!

Old 07-14-2011, 07:34 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
EN-velope!

LOL, I've heard people say "ON-velope" but never "IN-velope". Although, perhaps the people who don't distinguish between pens and pins do that!
i think i say "on-velope", lol - it's one of those words that I'm not sure how I say until it comes out of my mouth in the course of normal conversation (like caramel)!

btw - i grew up in Hudson County and I'm fairly certain I never said "Nork"! Although I speak NOTHING like I used to so I could be wrong! Also, I say "fahrest" and "ahrnge" too, but now I'll have to get my kids to say them!

Old 07-14-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i think i say "on-velope", lol - it's one of those words that I'm not sure how I say until it comes out of my mouth in the course of normal conversation (like caramel)!

btw - i grew up in Hudson County and I'm fairly certain I never said "Nork"! Although I speak NOTHING like I used to so I could be wrong! Also, I say "fahrest" and "ahrnge" too, but now I'll have to get my kids to say them!
Come to think of it, I've only really heard it from Kearny people. Were you from Kearny?

I certainly hope you're teaching your kids to say "cawfee" and "tawk" and "dawg"! Alas, my daughter has been going astray in that regard...sigh. Then again, she's spending next year in China who knows what she'll sound like when she gets back from THERE!

Old 07-14-2011, 10:34 AM

77 posts, read 152,608 times
I grew up saying "fahrest" but switched it up to "for-ist" when I was abouy 13. I say greasy with a Z and "h 0 r-able" for horrible. What about lawyer? Some people tell me that I'm saying "loy-yeh" or "loy-yer." Hmm.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:46 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Come to think of it, I've only really heard it from Kearny people. Were you from Kearny?

I certainly hope you're teaching your kids to say "cawfee" and "tawk" and "dawg"! Alas, my daughter has been going astray in that regard...sigh. Then again, she's spending next year in China who knows what she'll sound like when she gets back from THERE!
OMG! No, I didn't grow up in Kearny but my neighbor did and he DOES say "Nork" - how funny!

No self respecting Jersey mom would teach their kids to say silly words like "coffee", "talk" and "dog"! it's "cawfee, tawk and dawg" all the way!! (and "ax" for "ask"!)

Old 07-14-2011, 12:38 PM

141 posts, read 381,719 times
Quote:
envelope

IN-velope or ON-velope.

Neither. I say either "ehn-velope" or "ahn-velope," with the vowel of father or don, rather than dog or on. But I say ahn-velope more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by •|~ View Post
I grew up saying "fahrest" but switched it up to "for-ist" when I was abouy 13. I say greasy with a Z and "h 0 r-able" for horrible. What about lawyer? Some people tell me that I'm saying "loy-yeh" or "loy-yer." Hmm.
I think it sounds funny to say it anyway other than loy-yer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.