U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 09:45 PM

1,193 posts, read 863,722 times

Advertisements

I'm from SC and words such as pin and pen are pronounced the same aswell as don and dawn LOL, so no one would know what im saying unless I was saying these particular words in a sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 09:51 PM

9,088 posts, read 12,145,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post
Um, no. If they do, I still have yet to hear it.
Some examples:

Quote:
This 2001 Honda Odyssey EX is a great family rig.
Spokane Used Honda Odyssey | Dorsey Auto Sales, Spokane

Can anyone move a rig from Spokane WA to Eugene OR? [Archive] - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
^He's referring to a Land Rover.

Quote:
Counter persons' first priority is not the poor shade tree or week end guy trying to get his rig back on th road. This goes for ALL the Spokane area Napa's...not just this one.
Napa Auto Parts - Spokane Valley (http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3723412852/napa-auto-parts-spokane-valley - broken link)

Quote:
'05 MINI COOPER Leather, Moonroof,Low Miles, This Rig is Nice
Fromcdapress.com: Classifieds

Quote:
2001 FORD EXCURSION/56000 MILES/LIFT KIT/35"TIRES/GOOD LOOKING RIG - $10900 (SPOKANE) in Idaho For Sale
Quote:
I saw a pickup online, and drove from Clarkston to Spokane to see the rig.
Car Dealers Spokane Valley

I ran a company up there, and when we put an ad on craigslist for drivers, I got plenty of "do we have to use our own rig?" questions. I know a woman originally from Missoula who says "rig" as well.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:53 PM

4,179 posts, read 5,682,312 times
How would you pronounce "Huger"? Down south it is "U-gee".
How would you pronounce Scioto? In Ohio, it's "sy O ta".
How would you pronounce "Beaufort"? In NC, it's "BO-fort", in SC it's "BUE-fert"
How would you pronounce "Coosawhatchie"? In SC it's "koo-saw-HATCH-ee" in GA it's "koo-saw-WATCH-ee".
Just a lil fun... even state to neighboring state, pronounciations vary.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:31 PM

491 posts, read 470,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Some examples:

Spokane Used Honda Odyssey | Dorsey Auto Sales, Spokane

Can anyone move a rig from Spokane WA to Eugene OR? [Archive] - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
^He's referring to a Land Rover.

Napa Auto Parts - Spokane Valley (http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3723412852/napa-auto-parts-spokane-valley - broken link)

Fromcdapress.com: Classifieds

Car Dealers Spokane Valley

I ran a company up there, and when we put an ad on craigslist for drivers, I got plenty of "do we have to use our own rig?" questions. I know a woman originally from Missoula who says "rig" as well.
Been living here over a year and still have yet to hear it. Maybe in some of the more rural areas around town it's more common. I just don't ever hear people refer to anything other than a large semi as a "rig". However, the "begg" thing is very real here.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:15 PM

27,676 posts, read 21,646,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewzerr68 View Post
Here in Eastern WA people say the word "bag" as "begg". It's very bizarre. Other than that there is no real accent that can be detected here.

Someone mentioned the "warsh" thing much earlier in this thread, and I do remember hearing that a lot when I lived in New England, along with the word "idea" being pronounced "idear".

In Philadelphia and South Jersey I noticed people say the word "water" as "wooter".
We say "wooter" or more like "wooder" in North Jersey, too.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
What American accent do you really have?
Your Result: Mid-Atlantic
You have the accent of Philadelphia, south Jersey, and Baltimore. Everyone around there knows what a Philly accent is but not enough outsiders can ever recognize it.
Result Breakdown:
92% Mid-Atlantic
83% Northeastern
83% Northern
81% Midland
63% Southern
46% Northeast New England
46% Western
38% North Central
Quiz Created on GoTo Quiz

Ha, that was interesting. My results were:

Your Result: Northeastern

Your accent is basically what people speak with around the Tri-State area (New York City, north Jersey, Connecticut) and Rhode Island. If New York City is the greatest city in the world, it's not too much of a stretch to say you have the greatest accent in the world!

Right on the money. I've lived in north Jersey for all but the last 18 months of my 53-year-old life! Now I'm in central Jersey...but still work in New York City.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:55 PM

15,379 posts, read 22,984,484 times
Midland here.....hmmmm born n raised in colorado lived in Las Vegas for 50 years

Old 07-20-2011, 03:22 PM

11,682 posts, read 21,273,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Lived in NJ all of my 53 years, and never heard ANYONE say Dew-un. It's Dawn with the sound of "awe" (not "ah).
this is correct! I'm not sure I even know how to say "Dew-un!".

Old 07-20-2011, 03:26 PM

11,682 posts, read 21,273,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We say "wooter" or more like "wooder" in North Jersey, too.
hmmm, gotta disagree there. the philly pronunciation is completely different than the North Jersey. they (philly) also have their own way of saying phone, home, hoagie, milk (melk). I've heard this pronunciation flow down towards Baltimore.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
hmmm, gotta disagree there. the philly pronunciation is completely different than the North Jersey. they (philly) also have their own way of saying phone, home, hoagie, milk (melk). I've heard this pronunciation flow down towards Baltimore.
How do you say "water"?

I do know what you mean about the Philly/So Jersey way of speaking. That phewn and hewm sound.

I had a friend who grew up in Kearny and then lived in Ventnor. What a mess that was, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.