Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Maryland have more in common with PA, DE, Va, or WV?
Pennsylvania 15 26.32%
Delaware 18 31.58%
Virginia 38 66.67%
West Virginia 5 8.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 04:20 AM

201 posts, read 573,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Coming from an outside perspective I said Delaware. To me Maryland has very little in common with most of Virginia outside of NOVA, which is different itself from the rest of VA.
I meant to mention this but didn't have time last night. I found your opinion odd. I chose Delaware as a 2nd choice but that's only because Delaware seems to only have things in common with the Eastern shore. Other than that I see it more comparable with Pennsylvania and Southern New Jersey. And NoVa is the only place in Virginia with strong similarities to Maryland? What about the lower Eastern Shore (Worcester, Wicomico, Somerset, Dorchester, and Caroline counties) and it's ties to Tidewater Virginia? And Western Maryland's similarities to the Appalachian region in southwestern Virginia. And the fact that we also share our strong Chesapeake culture with fishermen and such? I'm not trying to be rude or criticize you, just not understanding your idea of Maryland or Virginia. Just because NoVa isn't like a lot of the other areas of Virginia doesn't make it less of a part of the state (which is kinda the vibe I get from people when they talk about it)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 07:37 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times
Here's a modest proposal: Let's split up Maryland! Here's how I would dispose of it:
> Give the Eastern Shore counties from Cecil on down to Delaware. Delaware already has one bay and many of its rivers flow west, so taking on the Chesapeake would be nothing new for the state.
> Give Harford, Baltimore, Carroll, Frederick and Washington Counties to PA. Looks like PA anyhow.
> Baltimore city on down should go to VA. Baltimore is just a larger version of Norfolk anyhow. Montgomery and PG counties are just an extension of NOVA. The other counties can make up more of the Virginia "necks" (no, the geographic regions, not an epithet describing the lovely folks of eastern VA).
> Finally, Allegany and Garrett Counties. Are you kidding? What are they doing in MD anyhow? I always figured they won those counties from WV in a poker game. Time to return to WV what is rightfully theirs.

OK, problem solved.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:52 AM

299 posts, read 641,555 times
I spent time in the area of Maryland bordering Northern Virginia to me it did not seem that much different from south of the state border.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:16 PM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Delaware is the flattest place I know. Somebody's front porch is probably the highest elevation in Delaware so it is not like any of the other states you mentioned, in that regard.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Delaware is the flattest place I know. Somebody's front porch is probably the highest elevation in Delaware so it is not like any of the other states you mentioned, in that regard.
No mistake that DE is generally flat, it does offer some relief in the north:

All sizes | Granogue Water Tower | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tbasilio/5747285963/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | Granogue Mansion | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tbasilio/5747834856/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glennferrell/5340274655/sizes/z/in/photostream/ (broken link)

All sizes | Van Buren Street Bridge | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tcd123/4081042647/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Actually, MD and DE share pretty similar topography for the most part. The extreme flat lands cover about half of MD, including the Eastern Shore, Western Shore, southern MD and most of DE. The piedmont covers the extreme northern part of Delaware as it does the areas northwest of Baltimore. The big difference is MD actually has some mountainous areas, particularly in its westernmost county, Garrett County.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 07-12-2011 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: correct typo

Old 07-13-2011, 02:37 AM

929 posts, read 1,902,079 times
Montgomery County and Howard counties are similar to Northern VA. Prince George's County is similar to the Tidwater (without the water). Eastern suburban (Anne Arundel County and Harford County) Baltimore is similar to suburban DE; Baltimore's northern suburbs in Baltimore County area similar to various suburbs of Philly in PA and South Jersey (some are more similar to the rundown parts of Chester County, others resemble POCKETS of the main line, and still others resemble the strip malls lining state routes in South Jersey); Maryland's Eastern Shore can either resemble the DE shore or the VA shore; Western Maryland (Garrett and Allegany counties) resembles WV; Northern MD (Frederick, Washington and Carroll counties) resembles south-central PA

Old 07-13-2011, 03:29 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Here's a modest proposal: Let's split up Maryland! Here's how I would dispose of it:
> Give the Eastern Shore counties from Cecil on down to Delaware. Delaware already has one bay and many of its rivers flow west, so taking on the Chesapeake would be nothing new for the state.
> Give Harford, Baltimore, Carroll, Frederick and Washington Counties to PA. Looks like PA anyhow.
> Baltimore city on down should go to VA. Baltimore is just a larger version of Norfolk anyhow. Montgomery and PG counties are just an extension of NOVA. The other counties can make up more of the Virginia "necks" (no, the geographic regions, not an epithet describing the lovely folks of eastern VA).
> Finally, Allegany and Garrett Counties. Are you kidding? What are they doing in MD anyhow? I always figured they won those counties from WV in a poker game. Time to return to WV what is rightfully theirs.

OK, problem solved.
I've been to Norfolk, and I didn't see the similarities to Baltimore. Philly one the other resembles Baltimore a lot. I would like to see pictures of Norfolk that look identical to Baltimore. Please don't show me their waterfront because that and Baltimore's harbor place were built by the same company.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I've been to Norfolk, and I didn't see the similarities to Baltimore. Philly one the other resembles Baltimore a lot. I would like to see pictures of Norfolk that look identical to Baltimore. Please don't show me their waterfront because that and Baltimore's harbor place were built by the same company.
You realize my proposal to dissolve Maryland was in jest? That said, I will share some thoughts with you.

Having spent a lot of time in the three cities, I find personally that Baltimore reminds me much more of Norfolk than Philly. You disagree and challenge me to back up my point by post pictures showing the two cities are are not similar, but identical. On top of that I am barred from including pictures of the waterfront developments because they share similarities?

OK, here you go:

View looking out the harbor towards the bay:

All sizes | Norfolk Skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8399703@N02/1113040944/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Older commercial districts with similarities to parts of Fells Point? Federal Hill?:

All sizes | [5721] Norfolk Row | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Row homes:

All sizes | Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgrendelx/5638878282/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Older waterfront with character of Fells Point:

All sizes | Blakeney, Norfolk | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/oxfordshirechurches/2633731335/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Downtown waterfront:

All sizes | Norfolk -VA- | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/b1zzle/4324755150/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Night time view of harbor:

All sizes | Tall Ships Docked at Town Point Park | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/virginiaphotoart/3813271629/sizes/m/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All are pictures of Norfolk, of course. If I had to look at them and pick either Balto or Philly, I know which I would choose.

Further similarities:
- Each has ports on the Chesapeake which greatly influence their character, economy and recreational focus
- Each city has developed a tourist center at their harbor
- There is lots of bridge and tunnel infrastructure in each metro
- Although not as prevalent, Norfolk does have its share of row homes
- Demographics are somewhat similar:
Norfolk: 47.1% White, 43.1% African American, 6.6% Hispanic, 3.3% Asian
Baltimore: 33.1% White, 63.2% African American, 3% Hispanic, 2% Asian

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 07-13-2011 at 09:45 AM..

Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
In general VA as the coast makes the difference, without the coast an argument to me could be made for PA

Old 07-13-2011, 09:21 AM

478 posts, read 809,231 times
I think it also depends which part of Maryland you come from. If you're from near the DC area, you'd probably reply Virginia. People from the Baltimore area or the northern Chesapeake would probably reply Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.