Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Maryland have more in common with PA, DE, Va, or WV?
Pennsylvania 15 26.32%
Delaware 18 31.58%
Virginia 38 66.67%
West Virginia 5 8.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:06 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

MD for a relatively small state has a lot of different topography and feels; maybe the most among small states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:11 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
You realize my proposal to dissolve Maryland was in jest? That said, I will share some thoughts with you.

Having spent a lot of time in the three cities, I find personally that Baltimore reminds me much more of Norfolk than Philly. You disagree and challenge me to back up my point by post pictures showing the two cities are are not similar, but identical. On top of that I am barred from including pictures of the waterfront developments because they share similarities?

OK, here you go:

View looking out the harbor towards the bay:

All sizes | Norfolk Skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8399703@N02/1113040944/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Older commercial districts with similarities to parts of Fells Point? Federal Hill?:

All sizes | [5721] Norfolk Row | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Row homes:

All sizes | Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgrendelx/5638878282/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Older waterfront with character of Fells Point:

All sizes | Blakeney, Norfolk | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/oxfordshirechurches/2633731335/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Downtown waterfront:

All sizes | Norfolk -VA- | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/b1zzle/4324755150/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Night time view of harbor:

All sizes | Tall Ships Docked at Town Point Park | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/virginiaphotoart/3813271629/sizes/m/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All are pictures of Norfolk, of course. If I had to look at them and pick either Balto or Philly, I know which I would choose.

Further similarities:
- Each has ports on the Chesapeake which greatly influence their character, economy and recreational focus
- Each city has developed a tourist center at their harbor
- There is lots of bridge and tunnel infrastructure in each metro
- Although not as prevalent, Norfolk does have its share of row homes
- Demographics are somewhat similar:
Norfolk: 47.1% White, 43.1% African American, 6.6% Hispanic, 3.3% Asian
Baltimore: 33.1% White, 63.2% African American, 3% Hispanic, 2% Asian
Doesn't resemble Baltimore to me. Bmore looks a lot like Philly. Both are dense rowhouse cities. Just because Norfolk has a few rowhouses, it is not a rowhouse city like Baltimore and Philly.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:26 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
You realize my proposal to dissolve Maryland was in jest? That said, I will share some thoughts with you.

Having spent a lot of time in the three cities, I find personally that Baltimore reminds me much more of Norfolk than Philly. You disagree and challenge me to back up my point by post pictures showing the two cities are are not similar, but identical. On top of that I am barred from including pictures of the waterfront developments because they share similarities?

OK, here you go:

View looking out the harbor towards the bay:

All sizes | Norfolk Skyline | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8399703@N02/1113040944/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Older commercial districts with similarities to parts of Fells Point? Federal Hill?:

All sizes | [5721] Norfolk Row | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Row homes:

All sizes | Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgrendelx/5638878282/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Older waterfront with character of Fells Point:

All sizes | Blakeney, Norfolk | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/oxfordshirechurches/2633731335/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Downtown waterfront:

All sizes | Norfolk -VA- | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/b1zzle/4324755150/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Night time view of harbor:

All sizes | Tall Ships Docked at Town Point Park | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/virginiaphotoart/3813271629/sizes/m/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All are pictures of Norfolk, of course. If I had to look at them and pick either Balto or Philly, I know which I would choose.

Further similarities:
- Each has ports on the Chesapeake which greatly influence their character, economy and recreational focus
- Each city has developed a tourist center at their harbor
- There is lots of bridge and tunnel infrastructure in each metro
- Although not as prevalent, Norfolk does have its share of row homes
- Demographics are somewhat similar:
Norfolk: 47.1% White, 43.1% African American, 6.6% Hispanic, 3.3% Asian
Baltimore: 33.1% White, 63.2% African American, 3% Hispanic, 2% Asian
The only thing that looks similar is waterfront. Even then, norfolk is a lot smaller and quieter than Baltimore. The rowhouse pic looks more like DC than Baltimore. The other pics look more like somewhere in England than anywhere in fells point or federal hill. Furthermore, Baltimore demographics changed a lot of the past 50 years due to white flight, and the great migration. Aside from the waterfront, Baltimore is built completely different.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:26 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The only thing that looks similar is waterfront. Even then, norfolk is a lot smaller and quieter than Baltimore. The rowhouse pic looks more like DC than Baltimore. The other pics look more like somewhere in England than anywhere in fells point or federal hill. Furthermore, Baltimore demographics changed a lot of the past 50 years due to white flight, and the great migration. Aside from the waterfront, Baltimore is built completely different.
No doubt two people can look at the same facts and pictures and come to different conclusions. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything - just answering your query on how I see the relative similarities between Balto, Norfolk and Philly. Some folks will agree with me, others won't.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
No doubt two people can look at the same facts and pictures and come to different conclusions. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything - just answering your query on how I see the relative similarities between Balto, Norfolk and Philly. Some folks will agree with me, others won't.
No argument here.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:20 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,491 times
I have to go with Virginia on this one.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:22 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Virginia

DC/Maryland/Virginia function much like a tri-state area. The Baltimore-Washington area, including Baltimore, DC, the Maryland suburbs of Baltimore and DC, and northern Virginia are too inter-connected at this point to separate them out all that much.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 07-13-2011 at 03:33 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 10:48 AM

77 posts, read 152,616 times
MD is a cross between PA & VA to me. 50% Va, 30% Pa, & 20% Wv.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:58 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,484 times
It depends on what part of Maryland. Baltimore City (culturally, economically and demographically speaking) has much in common with Philadelphia. Both Baltimore and Philly are old Mid-Atlantic working class/Blue Collar towns with large Black and White populations. Albeit, Philly is larger and more diverse and has a larger Italian population and Hispanic population, specifically Puerto Rican. Rowhomes in Philly and Baltimore are also similar. Even the Mid-Atlantic accents are similar in both cities. In terms of local urban fashion, both cities are nearly indistinguishable, historically speaking. Tan Timberland boots, long capri shorts in the summer and seeing Avirex type leathers in the Winter are common in Philly and Baltimore. Certain popular retail clothing store chains like Dr. Denim and USA Boutique exist in both Philly and Baltimore and do not exist anywhere else except maybe Atlanta.

The outer fringes of Maryland that border West Virginia undoubtedly have more in common with West Virginia. Carroll County mine as well be in West Virginia. The rural seclusion of places like Oakland, Maryland is no different than many places in WVA.

Diverse integrated quasi-urban suburban areas in Montgomery County with lots of immigrants from all over the world like Silver Spring are very similar to places in Northern Virginia like Arlington and McLean.

The Eastern Shore has a very slow rural deep Southern feel comparable to places in the Carolinas, in my opinion.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 07-14-2011 at 12:12 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
It depends on what part of Maryland. Baltimore City (culturally, economically and demographically speaking) has much in common with Philadelphia. Both Baltimore and Philly are old Mid-Atlantic working class towns with large Black and White populations. Albeit, Philly is larger and more diverse and has a larger Italian population Hispanic population, specifically Puerto Rican. Rowhomes in Philly and Baltimore are also similar. Even the Mid-Atlantic accents are similar in both cities. In terms of local urban fashion, both cities are nearly indistinguishable. Tan Timberland boots, long capri shorts in the summer and seeing Avirex type leathers in the Winter are common in Philly and Baltimore. Certain popular retail clothing store chains like Dr. Denim and USA Boutique exist in both Philly and Baltimore and do not exist anywhere else except maybe Atlanta.

The outer fringes of Maryland that border West Virginia undoubtedly have more in common with West Virginia. Carroll County mine as well be in West Virginia. The rural seclusion of places like Oakland, Maryland is no different than many places in WVA.

Diverse integrated areas in Montgomery County like Silver Spring are very similar to places in Northern Virginia like Arlington and McLean.

The Eastern Shore has a very deep Southern feel comparable to places in the Carolinas, in my opinion.
I agree with this. However, I don't agree about Carroll county. Westminster looks like Hanover, PA which is only about 15 miles away, and the rest of CC can pass for rural PA. The eastern shore looks like the Mississippi delta, western MD can be W.VA or PA. There is also the distinct difference in feel between the Baltimore area and the DC area of MD; Laurel is the dividing point in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.