Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Maryland have more in common with PA, DE, Va, or WV?
Pennsylvania 15 26.32%
Delaware 18 31.58%
Virginia 38 66.67%
West Virginia 5 8.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:50 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Regardless, urban MD bears much less resemblance to urban NJ than it does to areas such as DC, Richmond, Norfolk, and Wilmington. Sorry - just not getting that meadowlands vibe around Balto. As I've already said, however, two people can look at the same situation and draw different conclusions. This is mine.
The Baltimore-Washington area population and density is much more in line with the Philadelphia area. There are far less people and infrastructure in the Richmond area or Hampton Roads compared with the Baltimore-Washington area.

New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the U.S. Maryland is #5. These are simply facts.

Maryland is transitional. That's why it has characterstics of states to its north as well as south. But Maryland falls within the BosWash corridor - is what I'm getting at. (And so does northern Virginia.)

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 07-15-2011 at 02:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 02:34 PM

1,153 posts, read 4,558,908 times
South of the Baltimore area is very similar to Virginia. From Baltimore north and westward, Pennsylvania. There's just too much post-industrial blight, among other things, in northern MD to say it fits neatly with Virginia.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:35 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Not my experience. I have lots of relatives on both the Eastern Shore and in the Balto metro. I have never heard any of them or their friends say much of anything about NJ, much less "hate" on it. Mostly they lament the sorry state of "The Birds" these days and think about when they can next get down ta' Ocean City. So no, just as MD is not on most NJ'ites radar, the relationship is reciprocal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty19 View Post
I know right? Who the heck is worried about Jersey down here
I went to school with a girl from Jersey and it was just "Oh you're from Jersey? That's cool" end of subject...

Nope, come spend a day in College Park. I mean obviously a lot of it is friendly joking around, but it gets really annoying after a while. You guys should realize I'm talking about college students here.

Last edited by soug; 07-15-2011 at 03:47 PM..

Old 07-16-2011, 12:44 AM

929 posts, read 1,903,405 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue
There is also the distinct difference in feel between the Baltimore area and the DC area of MD; Laurel is the dividing point in my opinion.

I agree.
Demographically, the biggest difference is that in the DC area of MD you see lots of Hispanic and African immigrants, whereas in the Baltimore area of MD (including Howard County), there are FAR fewer Hispanics and a much less noticeable population of African immigrants.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:56 AM

929 posts, read 1,903,405 times
Quote:
545 posts, read 160,437 times

As someone from NJ who goes to Maryland (the university), I honestly have to say MD has very much in common with New Jersey. Both are split between two metro areas (economically, culturally, sports, etc), while having at least two areas which don't fall within the "feel" of those metros (Western MD & the Eastern Shore vs. NW NJ & the shore). Both have well educated and rich populations, have very diverse geographic features within a small area, have rich suburban areas and poor urban areas (although the extremes of both are more evident in NJ). The only real difference to me people-wise is that Maryland kids love to HATE on Jersey kids (especially the North Jersey/NY contingent), but on the other hand Maryland isn't really even on the radar for us.
MD, NJ and CT are probably the most similar states in the country. All house a largely suburban population and relatively wealthy. All are split between two MSA's (DC and Baltimore for MD, Philadelphia and NYC for NJ, and NYC and Hartford for CT). All these of these states contain coastal, piedmont and mountainous areas. All three of these states contain areas that lie in the humid subtropical climate, transitional humid subtropical-humid continental climate, and the humid continental climate zones. All three states have statewide commuter rail networks, though NJ's is BY FAR the largest.

CT's setup of quaint downtowns is quintessentially New England; MD has lots of "sunbelt-style" suburban development with tons of "new urbanism" in the DC suburbs; NJ is somewhere between these two extremes.

The combined population of CT's largest cities (Bridgeport, Hartford, New Haven and Stamford) is similar to the combined population of NJ's largest cities (Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth and Paterson), which is similar to the population of Baltimore.

MD has a much larger black population than NJ or CT, making it more like a southern state in regard.

MD's Hispanic population seems to be largely Central American (a DC area phenomenon), whereas the Hispanic populations of CT and NJ include lots of Puerto Ricans.

MD and NJ have large concentrations of Asian people, but CT does not.

The black population in CT is HEAVILY concentrated. The black population in MD is quite dispersed. The black population of NJ is somewhere between these two extremes.

I think NJ is half-Connecticut and half-Maryland, FWIW.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:12 AM

201 posts, read 574,027 times
If there was another state other than Maryland's borders that I thought it would be most like I would say Ohio. CT?

Old 07-16-2011, 11:56 PM

141 posts, read 381,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
MD, NJ and CT are probably the most similar states in the country. All house a largely suburban population and relatively wealthy. All are split between two MSA's (DC and Baltimore for MD, Philadelphia and NYC for NJ, and NYC and Hartford for CT). All these of these states contain coastal, piedmont and mountainous areas. All three of these states contain areas that lie in the humid subtropical climate, transitional humid subtropical-humid continental climate, and the humid continental climate zones. All three states have statewide commuter rail networks, though NJ's is BY FAR the largest.

CT's setup of quaint downtowns is quintessentially New England; MD has lots of "sunbelt-style" suburban development with tons of "new urbanism" in the DC suburbs; NJ is somewhere between these two extremes.

The combined population of CT's largest cities (Bridgeport, Hartford, New Haven and Stamford) is similar to the combined population of NJ's largest cities (Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth and Paterson), which is similar to the population of Baltimore.

MD has a much larger black population than NJ or CT, making it more like a southern state in regard.

MD's Hispanic population seems to be largely Central American (a DC area phenomenon), whereas the Hispanic populations of CT and NJ include lots of Puerto Ricans.

The black population in CT is HEAVILY concentrated. The black population in MD is quite dispersed. The black population of NJ is somewhere between these two extremes.

That was such an interesting analysis, no sarcasm. I think you have a very good point there and I like what you're getting at.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:15 PM

214 posts, read 427,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post

Where did this come from? I'm from Connecticut and lived in New York also have family in the south (SC, NC, DC) and been up and down I-95 most of my life and a variety of places. Maryland is nothing like New Jersey or Connecticut. You won't find any type of southern culture in those states that you would find in Maryland. Summers in Maryland are extremely hot and humid. As for communter rail systems they are also used in Albuquerque, Austin, Salt like city, Nashville, San Francisco, and a few other cities as well and those cities named arent similar to the ones in New Jersey, Philly, or Connecticut by any strecth of the imagination. As for Maryland's hispanic population centered around the DC area, every big city has a huge amount hispanic population: Houston, Miami, El Paso, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and they certainly aren't similar to cities in New Jersey or Connecticut. Beyond these observations, the lifestyle in Maryland couldnt be much more different. People in Maryland are much more accustomed to chain resturants where as in Jersey and Connecticut people flock to the local resturants that are open by someone known in local neighborhoods and so fourth. Baltimore more segregated and DC as well, while in the cities in New Jersey and Connecticut you will totally see a mixture of different races interacting with each other constantly. From a half italtian, half puerto rican married to an african american with children to a house party mixed with blacks, white, puerto ricans, all conversating and having a good time. Even the ghettos of those states are very diverse. Also Maryland is a very rural state and has hugh amount of old southern culture. Not deep south, but I link it with North Carolina,Virginia and Delaware what I consider all uppersouth. North Carolina and Virgina contain coastal, piedmont and mountainous areas also but are they similar to Connecticut? No.

Last edited by hitek; 07-18-2011 at 12:35 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 12:20 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,668,280 times
Well said...not that I don't prefer the "upper south" to the other areas mentioned within the general vicinity of the I-95 corridor but very well said. Born in New Haven, but a Southerner at heart. Still you make valid point even though I don't care about diversity either way. You are citing the differences and you are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
Where did this come from? I from Connecticut and lived in New York also have family in the south (SC, NC, DC) and been up and down I-95 most of my life and a variety of places. Maryland is nothing like New Jersey or Connecticut. You won't find any type of southern culture in those states that you would find in Maryland. Summers in Maryland are extremely hot and humid. As for rail systems they are also used in Charlotte, Atlanta, Detroit, San Francisco, and other cities well. As for Maryland hispanic population centered around the DC area, every big city has a huge amount hispanic population: Houston, Miami, El Paso, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and they certainly aren't similar to cities in New Jersey or Connecticut. Beyond these observations, the lifestyle in Maryland couldnt be much more different. People in Maryland are much more accustomed to chain resturants where as in Jersey and Connecticut people flock to the local resturants that are open by someone known in local neighborhoods and so fourth. Baltimore more segregated and DC as well, while in the cities in New Jersey and Connecticut you will totally see a mixture of different races interacting with each other constantly. From a half italtian, half puerto rican married to an african american with children to a house party mixed with blacks, white, puerto ricans, all conversating and having a good time. Even the ghettos of those states are very diverse. Also Maryland is a very rural state and has hugh amount of old southern culture. Not deep south, but I link it with North Carolina,Virginia and Delaware what I consider all uppersouth.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:39 PM

326 posts, read 689,155 times
As a Virginian I have to say I don't think we have much in common with Maryland. I think that Maryland is more like a combination of Delaware and Pennsylvania. Of course the area's immediately bordering DC are unique in both Maryland and Virginia.

That said, I consider Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Pennsylvania, and sometimes North Carolina to be Mid-Atlantic (or mid-lantic)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.