U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-14-2011, 10:56 PM

2,117 posts, read 2,392,657 times
mass 4th least obese
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 12:28 AM

58 posts, read 10,397 times
Obese states are the result of
A. Poverty: people who eat cheap packaged chemicals/fastfood and fried
B. People who are from southern cultures where they had the **** end economically /culturally of the civil war, whether black or white....and they are left in cultures subjecting them to certain types of foods that can feed large and poor numbers of people...even if habit.

MicHELL Obama is a disgrace with her obesity program, pretending to help the the fat/uneducated and poor, but she does not have enough BAIIs to address the facts of obesity, which are the extreme hormones and chemicals/perservatives in packaged and cheap foods. Some peoples bodies can not handle all that extra crap. I lived in europe and they eat as much as americans, bread pasta and cheese/chocolate, but no one has 5 chins or 5 stomachs, it is the chemicals in this D*&^ country causing the fat rears who can not walk.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:06 AM

963 posts, read 822,058 times
14th in Adults (29.4%)
11th in Children (18.6%)

Old 07-15-2011, 12:05 PM

2,755 posts, read 8,491,255 times
Colorado (my home state) has the least obesity. Part of this is that I think we import lots of fit people from other states who are attracted to the outdoor sports culture here. We also have a rather young, affluent population that always tends to be pretty fit. In this way we have a lot in common with Washington and Oregon, but I think we attract even more outdoors-seekers here than they do. Even so, I'm not surprised to find those two states among the least Obese too.

The elephant in the room here is the fact that you can draw a clear racial and socioeconomic relationship to the level of obesity. Wealthy states with few minorities (especially in New England and the Pac NW) are going to be low on the list of most obese. Poorer states with high levels of immigration and/or minorities (e.g. the southeast and southwest) will have higher rates of obesity. Big cities tend to have both things going on -- a lot of affluence, but at the same time diversity and immigration -- so those tend to be a mixed bag.

If you compare people of similar income levels and racial/ethnic characteristics nationwide, I think you'll come up with pretty much the same results -- outside of a few outliers in western states like Colorado due to the obsession with outdoor sports.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:20 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,028,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Sep View Post
MicHELL Obama is a disgrace with her obesity program, pretending to help the the fat/uneducated and poor, but she does not have enough BAIIs to address the facts of obesity, which are the extreme hormones and chemicals/perservatives in packaged and cheap foods. Some peoples bodies can not handle all that extra crap. I lived in europe and they eat as much as americans, bread pasta and cheese/chocolate, but no one has 5 chins or 5 stomachs, it is the chemicals in this D*&^ country causing the fat rears who can not walk.
Yeah, screw her for trying to help people!

Old 07-15-2011, 01:37 PM

5,642 posts, read 12,677,931 times
I'm surprised this list "found room" for Kentucky

Old 07-15-2011, 02:53 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,520,331 times
44th for Adults
42nd for Children

Unsurprising given the plethora of outdoor activities here. I think the problem with the Southern states is that their summers suck, and summers are when people do most of their outdoorsy stuff.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:01 PM

4,203 posts, read 3,813,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Sep View Post
Obese states are the result of
A. Poverty: people who eat cheap packaged chemicals/fastfood and fried
B. People who are from southern cultures where they had the **** end economically /culturally of the civil war, whether black or white....and they are left in cultures subjecting them to certain types of foods that can feed large and poor numbers of people...even if habit.

>>>>>
"but no one has 5 chins or 5 stomachs" "fat rears who can not walk"
<<<<<

NOW you're stepping on my toes.....or maybe it's my apron of belly fat!

With Love,

Okie with Five Chins

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 07-15-2011 at 10:19 PM..

Old 07-16-2011, 06:17 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,555,811 times
2nd or 3rd...who the hell cares? I'm a 118 pound lightweight.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:11 AM

3,541 posts, read 3,044,301 times
3rd- adults
10th child

although we've seen improvement, there is still alot of work to do with 32.2% of the people over weight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.