U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2011, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Spotsylvania, Virginia
1,167 posts, read 924,773 times
Reputation: 358

Advertisements

Lol, well my kids are better looking than me and less hispanic than me too not to derail loool....Half Scottish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Totally off the subject and not intended as a thread derail, but I have four cousins who have married Hispanics and their kids are freaking gorgeous - better looking than either parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2011, 11:51 AM
 
275 posts, read 297,906 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Maybe you are right on the change of scenery? What county Stafford...Faquier or something like that?

I just don't like the people.....not sure I dislike them either. Where did you move off to if you don't mind and how do you feel?
I lived in Faquier County near Warrenton. I also lived for a couple of years right outside of D. C. in the suburbs. While it was a decent place to live, I much preferred the small town communities further out from the city like warrenton. I agree with you that there were some pretty snobbish people around but I also had quite a few people who were nice and some who treated me as one of the family. that was a plus As I had no relatives at all in the State.
Quote:
Where did you move off to if you don't mind and how do you feel?
I moved to Lafayette, La. (not my choice). Come to think of it, I'm in the same situation as you. While this city is decent, I don't think its all that great either. I just don't really want to stay here too much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Spotsylvania, Virginia
1,167 posts, read 924,773 times
Reputation: 358
You hit the nail on the head bud. It is nice to have people treat you like you are part of the family. We have that here thankfully...it wasn't easy to have that happen since I don't just go out my way to make friends. Lol, same situation as me. It is a tough mix having a son in Florida where I can't get a decent job and having a Scottish wife. Her family in Scotland is the only ones we have left. I don't get along with anyone on my side (for damn good cause)so we don't talk to anyone on my side. Sometimes distance is a good thing too....but if something happens to someone it is astonomically expensive to try and be there the next day or even ever. I think it is the oddness of being completely alone that makes us feel weird or even the acceptance of accomplishment after so many hard years of complete ghetto life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Analog Man View Post
I lived in Faquier County near Warrenton. I also lived for a couple of years right outside of D. C. in the suburbs. While it was a decent place to live, I much preferred the small town communities further out from the city like warrenton. I agree with you that there were some pretty snobbish people around but I also had quite a few people who were nice and some who treated me as one of the family. that was a plus As I had no relatives at all in the State.
I moved to Lafayette, La. (not my choice). Come to think of it, I'm in the same situation as you. While this city is decent, I don't think its all that great either. I just don't really want to stay here too much longer.

Last edited by va_lucky; 07-18-2011 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 12:21 PM
 
275 posts, read 297,906 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Sometimes distance is a good thing too.
Agree to agree. It worked for my family.

I have not been back to Northern Virginia since 2000 so was curious as to how much it has changed since my last visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Spotsylvania, Virginia
1,167 posts, read 924,773 times
Reputation: 358
Well I first set foot here officially in 2001....so I checked in when you checked out. Spent a few months here when my ex wife divorced me and took my little one. Vowed to return and did so in 2005. Lived in Prince William County (Woodbridge) for a while and worked at Quantico MCB. Growth was enormous. All you would see was Florida tags...decided to stop renting and take the plunge then the market fell apart. I can tell you that traffic is rediculous. Can take 3 hours or more to go from DC/NOVA south but that HAS to be partially due to the need to widen the roads.

The DC to Richmond corridor was well on the way to being completely built in between...but then the economy tanked. Spotsylvania/Fredericksburg began to get really built up at it's northern extremity:

Central Park Shopping Center - Fredricksburg, Virginia
Cosner's Corner - Fredericksburg Virginia

The economy has done it's damage though and you can slowly see things shutting down.

There is a plan to extend the HOV lanes all the way to Spotsylvania (Massaponax)..but they will end up being hot lanes as well or exlusively.

Slugging in to work is pretty cool too:

Slug-Lines.com - Slugging and Slug Lines Information For Washington DC


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Analog Man View Post
Agree to agree. It worked for my family.

I have not been back to Northern Virginia since 2000 so was curious as to how much it has changed since my last visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2011, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
9,270 posts, read 12,410,480 times
Reputation: 6782
Any non-resort area 100+ miles from a major metro should fit. That dilutes the snobbishness you're encountering.

Also, a place with a bad economy and low education levels won't have the braggarts either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Spotsylvania, Virginia
1,167 posts, read 924,773 times
Reputation: 358
Could you please define "non-resort area"?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Any non-resort area 100+ miles from a major metro should fit. That dilutes the snobbishness you're encountering.

Also, a place with a bad economy and low education levels won't have the braggarts either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 10:29 AM
 
275 posts, read 297,906 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
(Woodbridge) for a while and worked at Quantico MCB. Growth was enormous.
Ahh, That is the town I lived in before moving over to Faquier County. But that was way back in the early 80's as a kid. It seems to have grown since then. I just hope that none of the growing pains associated with an expanding city infiltrated the rural areas of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Spotsylvania, Virginia
1,167 posts, read 924,773 times
Reputation: 358
They have indeed...only the economic situation has stopped that sort of complete damage IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Analog Man View Post
Ahh, That is the town I lived in before moving over to Faquier County. But that was way back in the early 80's as a kid. It seems to have grown since then. I just hope that none of the growing pains associated with an expanding city infiltrated the rural areas of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2011, 12:37 PM
 
275 posts, read 297,906 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
They have indeed...only the economic situation has stopped that sort of complete damage IMHO.
What a shame to hear. I always despised seeing natural beauty, farmland, and the countryside in general being turned into big box stores, strip malls, parking lots, multi-lane highways, crime, gangs, and traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:37 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top