U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:55 PM

345 posts, read 713,794 times

Advertisements

Do you think the arch is known around the world? St. Louis at one time was known around the world. It hosted the Olympics and World's Fair. If I showed someone in let's say... Argentina, do you think they would have seen it before. What about in Europe? The Arch is definitley a widely reconized monument in America and probably North America. Internationally????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 10:38 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,903,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
Do you think the arch is known around the world? St. Louis at one time was known around the world. It hosted the Olympics and World's Fair. If I showed someone in let's say... Argentina, do you think they would have seen it before. What about in Europe? The Arch is definitley a widely reconized monument in America and probably North America. Internationally????
Bump. I am curious myself.

The Arch has been shown in a couple of movies over the years. So I figure there has to be at least some international recognition. It is also pretty unique.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:10 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,756,357 times
Depends on how educated one is on America.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:48 AM

976 posts, read 1,879,746 times
i lived in oslo and most people associated st. louis with the arch. some recognized it but didn't know where it was, some had heard of st. louis but didn't know what the arch was. most educated people who see a picture of it will recognize it.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:44 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,800,578 times
Based on my experience while stationed in Germany and interacting with locals, no. St. Louis is just not one of the U.S. cities that registers with most outside the U.S. Many in other countries associate just a handful of well-known cities (NYC, Chicago, Miami, LA, SF, etc.) and geographic areas (e.g. Florida, California) with the U.S. Obviously, someone who is well-educated about the U.S. would likely recognize it, but that doesn't reflect the majority of the population outside the U.S.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:08 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,018,676 times
Most of my relatives and friends overseas know what the Arch is, Some (not all) are not really sure what city it is in.. Take the Arch away and St. Louis has a very unimpressive skyline.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:11 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,163,980 times
The Arch is not even all that well known in the US

Old 07-18-2011, 02:35 PM

345 posts, read 713,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The Arch is not even all that well known in the US
You can't be serious. The Arch is widely recognized in the US. It is one of the greatest landmarks, if not the greatest in the US. When people think American landmark, they think: Golden Gate Bridge, Statue of Liberty, Gateway Arch. I bet you can ask anyone over the age of 7 and they will tell you what the arch is, and maybe even the city.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:52 PM

2,363 posts, read 4,418,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
You can't be serious. The Arch is widely recognized in the US. It is one of the greatest landmarks, if not the greatest in the US. When people think American landmark, they think: Golden Gate Bridge, Statue of Liberty, Gateway Arch. I bet you can ask anyone over the age of 7 and they will tell you what the arch is, and maybe even the city.
The Arch is not that well known across the U.S.. You truly think so?

Old 07-18-2011, 02:54 PM

388 posts, read 1,437,969 times
I recognize the Gateway Arch, but just because I'm interested in / been to the U.S. I doubt that most people over here would recognize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or