Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 12:14 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,381 times

Advertisements

In contrast to the "most boring states" topic, I guess...

Have you visited any state that you had bland pre-conceived notions of only to discover that you were actually rather impressed by it?

Which state was it and what impressed you? Scenery? People? Culture? Etc?

I'm proud to say I'm from a state that people say this about a lot. I don't think many people expect much from Wisconsin other than farmland maybe... but they come or drive through and are actually surprised how lovely it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:33 AM

381 posts, read 861,708 times
For me, it's easy - Montana.

I was expecting the scenery to be beautiful, but it was even more spectacular than I imagined.

But where I was really impressed was the towns. Places like Missoula, Whitefish, Butte, Bozeman, and many others - great historical small towns with walkable cores and very limited sprawl (at least compared to most other places in the US). Awesome old west feel, incredibly friendly people, a very positive vibe and attitude in many of the places that I went.

Politically (with the exception of Missoula), I am on the other end of the spectrum - Montana is generally pretty conservative and I am pretty far to the left. But it didn't matter, the people I encountered were great. Even the really small towns with 500-2000 in population have walkable cores (even if it's just a strip), and there was a real community feel. I don't know how to say it, but Montana just came across as a place where it's easy to feel good about the world. Wholesome, in many ways untouched, and with very human-scale development (where it exists). Almost like what I envision much of the country looked like 40 -50 years ago.

And as I said before, the scenery, the landscapes, the parks in the mountainoues areas are unbelievable - Glacier Ntl. Park and Flathead lake are nothing short of stunning, but there's so much more.

And, to contrast that, I'll add that a lot of the local dive/roadside bars serve fried gizzards - I may be in the minority, but I find them delicious.

Of every state I've ever visited (38 now), Montana was by far the most pleasant surprise. I was expecting some nice mountains and sprawl-y redneckish areas . Instead I found great historical, walkable towns, incredibe nature accessible at every turn, and just a great, peaceful overall vibe.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:39 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldojernkins View Post
For me, it's easy - Montana.

I was expecting the scenery to be beautiful, but it was even more spectacular than I imagined.

But where I was really impressed was the towns. Places like Missoula, Whitefish, Butte, Bozeman, and many others - great historical small towns with walkable cores and very limited sprawl (at least compared to most other places in the US). Awesome old west feel, incredibly friendly people, a very positive vibe and attitude in many of the places that I went.

Politically (with the exception of Missoula), I am on the other end of the spectrum - Montana is generally pretty conservative and I am pretty far to the left. But it didn't matter, the people I encountered were great. Even the really small towns with 500-2000 in population have walkable cores (even if it's just a strip), and there was a real community feel. I don't know how to say it, but Montana just came across as a place where it's easy to feel good about the world. Wholesome, in many ways untouched, and with very human-scale development (where it exists). Almost like what I envision much of the country looked like 40 -50 years ago.

And as I said before, the scenery, the landscapes, the parks in the mountainoues areas are unbelievable - Glacier Ntl. Park and Flathead lake are nothing short of stunning, but there's so much more.

And, to contrast that, I'll add that a lot of the local dive/roadside bars serve fried gizzards - I may be in the minority, but I find them delicious.

Of every state I've ever visited (38 now), Montana was by far the most pleasant surprise. I was expecting some nice mountains and sprawl-y redneckish areas . Instead I found great historical, walkable towns, incredibe nature accessible at every turn, and just a great, peaceful overall vibe.

lmao... Why do I get the feeling someone has read my feelings about Montana before on this forum?

Old 07-18-2011, 02:35 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,920,941 times
Kansas.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:55 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,847,941 times
Michigan. Everyone loves to drone on and on about how bad cities like Detroit and Flint are, meanwhile much of the state is beautiful, particularly the SW corner and upstate. I would also have to say New Jersey for the same reason. If many would bother to get off of the NJ Turnpike and look around it has much to offer also.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:06 AM

606 posts, read 1,078,319 times
Maryland
New Jersey
Ohio
Massachusetts
Virginia
Minnesota

Old 07-18-2011, 07:25 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,732,469 times
So far every state I've been to was about what I expected or worse, although Western Washington was even better than I expected. But I'm not sure that counts since I was expecting very good and found great.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:46 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,077,735 times
Kansas or at least the central and especially the western part of the state. If you get off the interstates you will find a lot of unique scenery and even some ancient fossil beds and unusual rock formations. And the people are also friendlier than I expected.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:03 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,379,073 times
Wisconsin and Idaho.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:23 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,107,611 times
South Dakota. Far more scenic than I imagined. Particularly the western part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.