Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 7,228 times

Advertisements

I live in pa, Im looking for advice on where to move.

Short list: Anywhere in between San Fransisco clear to Seattle
Longer list: Around cities 25,000 - 300,000 in Idaho, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Colorado, North Carolina and Maryland

1) Jobs, Jobs, Jobs, I dont have any kind of professional degree, Graduated high school though. I've worked in retail and in warehouses for a few years and while it sucks I'll do whatever I need to do. How are the job markets in those areas?

2) Housing, I mainly rent, How much would a 1 bedroom/Studio apartment run.

3) Location, I'm fairly young and I need things to do, Currently my town shuts down at 9pm and when you work late afternoons/midnights you tend to be asleep when things are open. So other night owls and some activities would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 09:08 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphik View Post
1) Jobs, Jobs, Jobs, I dont have any kind of professional degree, Graduated high school though. I've worked in retail and in warehouses for a few years and while it sucks I'll do whatever I need to do. .
If you really want to do what you need to do you'll go to college where you are and get a degree before moving somewhere else. The West Coast doesn't need any more uneducated labor.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:47 AM

979 posts, read 3,669,108 times
Things are pretty tough on the west coast right now. If you do chose ND, I think your best options would be Bismarck, Grand Forks or Fargo. Only because of the retail opportunities, pretty reasonable rent, things to do (but definately not "night life" you would expect from a huge city)...but all 3 towns are in the 50,000+ to 100,000+ range Grand Forks, Bismarck and then Fargo in that order from smallest to largest. So they have the bar scene for the younger people, Bismarck has nice recreation trails and parks, etc... as do Grand Forks and Fargo. Fargo and Grand Forks have the largest young person population because of the Universities (both over 10,000 student population...Fargo even larger with adjacent Moorhead's 2 MN state colleges). But I'm sure you could find this same lifestyle in any midwest small city. As far as rentals...you could find some nice 1bdrm - 2 bdrm from 350.00-500.00...depending on the age of the apartment building. Brand new apartments run in the 675-1,000 range.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:40 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Liphik, you first mentioned anywhere between San Francisco and Seattle. Then you have as second choice basically anywhere in the country. Maybe you need to think about what else is important to you. Obviously you don't have a career that is taking you in a set direction, and you have a very broad and undefined list of “wants”.

Is there a reason that you started with the area along the west coast? Maybe you should be looking at Portland or Seattle.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:20 AM

56 posts, read 70,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
If you really want to do what you need to do you'll go to college where you are and get a degree before moving somewhere else. The West Coast doesn't need any more uneducated labor.
it's funny how much people around here seem to be preaching this, yet those of us that have uneducated parents seem to believe otherwise.

What are your intentions?

By the way, i've been checking out Rarotonga. Need $2,500 for plane ticket, but yeah...

Old 07-17-2011, 11:52 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatlifeforme View Post
it's funny how much people around here seem to be preaching this, yet those of us that have uneducated parents seem to believe otherwise.
Your parents' and grandparents' generations could be uneducated and do okay. The world's changed. An exception would be if you have a technical skill like a plumber or mechanic, but I'd still consider that educated. Good luck if the best you can do is roll cans across a scanner.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:28 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Longer list: Around cities 25,000 - 300,000 in Idaho, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Colorado, North Carolina and Maryland

These two you can handle online with some research of your own.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:31 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
I live in pa, Im looking for advice on where to move.

1) Jobs, Jobs, Jobs, I dont have any kind of professional degree, Graduated high school though. I've worked in retail and in warehouses for a few years and while it sucks I'll do whatever I need to do. How are the job markets in those areas?

3) Location, I'm fairly young and I need things to do, Currently my town shuts down at 9pm and when you work late afternoons/midnights you tend to be asleep when things are open. So other night owls and some activities would be appreciated.
Couldn't pare down that list a little?

I want to live somewhere in the US, help me choose.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:04 PM

480 posts, read 2,466,122 times
You have too broad of a geographical interest for anyone to respond with much help. In general, you will find jobs in more populated areas like Portland. San Francisco and Seattle are overall more expensive (San Francisco especially) than Portland so you might start your search in Portland for that reason. Apartments vary in price depending on where you live. The suburbs often have less expensive offerings than Portland itself. There are lots of rental sites that will give you that information and you can also look at Craigslist.

Denver is less job depressed than Portland so you might also go on the Colorado board for some help. North Dakota and Wyoming have lots of jobs but no large towns or night life like you'll find in Denver and Portland (plus the weather is lousy). I'd suggest you start checking Portland and Denver first and start to focus your search.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:44 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
It is my impression that folks (especially young folks) who say they "need things to do" often would need a city with a population of at least 200,000 to be somewhat satisfied and many of them would probably need a city of 500,000+ before they stopped saying that as much. As you move from a city 50,000 to 200,000 to 500,000 the amount of things to do probably increases a good deal faster than the population. Be clear about what you want / 'need" (many bars & restaurants, some or even lots of concerts by touring acts, more than one movie theater complex or whatever) and check ahead of time (say with a newspaper's entertainment section) to see if the city has enough of it to satisfy you. If you move to a place that turns out too small, it was probably avoidable. If you want a smaller place for day to day living, look at satellite cities in bigger metros.

I won't get into details about these cities (check the respective forums for past threads) but your search list could include Chico CA, Redding CA, Medford OR, Vancouver WA, near or in Boise ID, Colorado Springs CO (or maybe Greeley CO for work and lower cost of living to start), Raleigh NC and maybe Gaithersburg MD.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-17-2011 at 02:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.